SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Really OT, question about Oliver North
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Really OT, question about Oliver North Reply with quote

I just think Oliver North is awesome. I can't believe that he was indicted for the Iran Contras deal. Why didn't Nixon stand up for him? Was Nixon a jerk? Did Reagan pardon North? I trust you guys for some straight answers, thanks.
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember, Olie basicly took the fall for the Reagan Administration. He showed real courage standing up and protecting his CinC.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks. Boy did I have that mixed up.
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

President Nixon was out of the picture.

He was enjoying leisurely walks in his wingtips along the beach in San Clemente.

BTW, Richard Nixon was not a jerk. He was one of this country's best presidents, IMHO. If you leave this forum open long enough, you may get 3 more people to agree. Maybe one of our brothers who was accumulating Hilton Honors points in Hanoi when the BUFF's paid a visit during Operation Linebacker will weigh in.

I am not the strange mr aj, but I approve this message.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, Oliver North is one of the most heroic figures on the present scene. He got nailed for taking responsibility for an anti-Communist operation that went bad, and he wouldn't roll over to save his own skin. That's always been my read on it, and it makes him a bigger hero in my eyes. Ollie was also the only embed reporter I saw actually get off his butt and help the troops in Iraq, too. He was flying re-supply missions for the Marines, and I watched him throwing ammo crates and food instead of talking into a camera. When people put Ollie down, consider the source. Know what I mean? Wink
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more memory...

What saved Ollie was his appearance before Congress in his Winter Service "A" uniform, complete with a chest full of ribbons. Fawn Hall added additional color. She was the Sandy Berger of the 1980's. She admitted to stuffing documents into her bra, if I remember correctly

"2100 hours? That's 9pm, yes sir." LOL.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so ignorant about this time period. I remember Reagan and loved him. Nixon was before my time and all I ever heard was that he lied. See, you guys are educating me, this is good. The last thing I want to do is make a Vet mad. Maybe I should just try and get this all deleted.
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msindependent wrote:
I am so ignorant about this time period. I remember Reagan and loved him. Nixon was before my time and all I ever heard was that he lied. See, you guys are educating me, this is good. The last thing I want to do is make a Vet mad. Maybe I should just try and get this all deleted.

Don't be silly, Ms I. How would anything see the light of day if we all had a "delete" button? What if The Loser had a "delete" button?

What part of CO? We have family in Fort Collins and Boulder.
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only stupid question is one that is not asked. I have learned so much about politics and history on these boards in the last 7-8 months that it is really amasing to me. Especially when it comes to the era before Bush41 (that was my first Presidential election)
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1991932, (Well, common sense should have told me Nixon was the good guy since traitor Kerry butted heads with him.) Anyway, I'm in southern Colorado in the Sangre de Cristo mountains. Out in the wilds close to the New Mexico border.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm in southern Colorado in the Sangre de Cristo mountains. Out in the wilds close to the New Mexico border.

Well, that's tough duty, but I guess somebody's got to do it. You have a lot of drive-by shootings out there? Wink
USMCWayne
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best book on how Vietnam and Ronald Reagan affected the lives of five Annapolis graduates is The Nightingale's Song by Robert Timberg.

The Nightingale in this case is Ronald Reagan and his message, and the five Annapolis grads are a who's who of great Americans, including Oliver North, James Webb, John McCain, John Poindexter, and Robert McFarlane.

Oliver North is a modern day example of the Academy tale "A Message to Garcia". According to the story, President McKinley orders a young Naval lieutenant to deliver a letter to a Cuban General named Garcia. Without further question, the lieutenant sets off, disappears into the jungle, and reappears months later, after having delivered the President's message.

The theme of the parable is you don't piss and moan and talk the job to death. You just do it and report back when you're done.

That was and is North. In the White House during Iran-Contra, North was innovative, enthusiastic, vigorous, smart, and charismic but, in the Reagan White House he lacked "adult supervision".

Whatever the Contras needed, North took care of. He took a fall for Iran-Contra, letting Reagan off the hook, but Ollie wasn't all that innocent.

Read the book. It's an exceptional read, and one I've read and reread all of and parts of numerous times. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening, class.

Iran-Contra came about because leftist bastards in the senate like JOE BIDEN (a kerrorist--Biden was Kerry's foreign affairs advisor) had pushed through an AMMENDMENT to the US Constitution Exclamation which meant to severly restrict the Executive powers. (Presidential) It was meant to keep Reagan (then President) from fighting the communists, such as the Sandinista government of Nicarauga.

This ammendment was a clear usurption of power and totally violated the founding father's vision of three balanced branches of power within the government (Executive, Legislative, Judicial) but the Democrats were able to pass this ammendment because they were very much the majority at the time.

So in an attempt to fight communism in Latin America, Oliver North and others higher up devised a plan to siphon funds and funnel them to the Contras; American friendly, pro-democracy freedom fighters trying to overthrow Daniel Ortega and the repressive, hostile Sandinista government, which, dispite Jiminy Karter's give away of millions and millions of dollars to them, openly mocked the US and reneged on all their promises to restore human rights.

When Reagan came to power you remember that the hostages in Iran were released immediately. Can't talk about all why, but just know that a deal was brokered. It isn't always pretty, doing diplomatic deals with @$$holes, but it saved a lot of American lives.

When Biden and his Bastards (Kennedy featured prominently in this coup, btw) pushed through the ammendment, Ollie North et al had to go underground to fund pro American groups like the Contras.

Some @$$hole ratted out the program, and of course Biden and his Bastards jumped all over it, with the aiding and abetting of the OILM (not yet OILM) and attempted to bring down the Reagan Administration, ala the Nixon Administration.

Ollie North stood his ground, and it was his testimony in front of the snarling toga wearers in the Senate and House that turned public opinion. Thousands and thousands of telegrams of support for Col. North swamped Capitol Hill, and the Democrats were forced to beat a hasty retreat.

Fawn Hill, who another poster referenced, was Ollie's young secreatary. The press tried to insinuate their was something illicit between she and the married Colonel, but it was just the jackals trying to spread gossip. Ollie's wife is a very nice person, and she and their daughters were hurt by the OILM's nasty and baseless gossip. Fawn Hill got freaked and admited attempting to destroy documents at the request of Colonel North, an admission which made me very angry at her. This was a case when it truly is okay to "lie" and break the law, as clearly there was a greater good, and the "law" was an extra-constitutional kangaroo bravo sierra law, at that.

The Biden Ammendment, btw, was later repealed. It was so shockingly out of bounds that the GOP finally succeded in getting rid of it. Even Ted Kennedy was shamed into voting it out. If you know anything about how difficult it is to rescind an ammendment, then you have some idea.

Thank you class. Have a great evening.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimmymac,

Like I said, I have a lot of respect for Ollie North. Wink
The other side of the argument is, if you have Saddam fighting the Iranians, the only "crime" would be if one side ran out of ammo, in my opinion.
GoEagles
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of his as well. Ollie writes an article every Friday which can be found on townhall.com. Here's today's piece:

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/ollienorth/on20041105.shtml

Quote:

Opportunities ahead
Oliver North
November 5, 2004

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The American people spoke loud and clear on Tuesday, and the so-called mainstream media still haven't heard them. With nearly 60 million, President Bush received more votes than any other presidential candidate in history. It is a clear mandate for a popular president to continue defending this country from terrorist enemies; strengthen our intelligence operations; continue the progress in Iraq and Afghanistan; reduce the tax burden on families and small businesses; reform Social Security; and establish public policies that reflect the moral virtues that value human life and the sanctity of marriage.

Although nearly 60 percent of registered voters cast their ballots on Tuesday, the Kerry team hoped for a higher turnout. With help from its Hollywood friends, it worked hard to energize young voters and college students, whom it hoped would be the "800-pound gorilla" voting bloc of this election. The Kerry team repeated its lie day in and day out that under a second Bush term, a military draft was imminent and the only way for students to legally dodge the draft was to vote for John Kerry. That would do it, Kerry thought. The way to win this election was to turn John Kennedy's admonition on its head and appeal to the weak and cowardly, who ask only what their country can do for them.

But the students didn't turn out. Instead, millions of Americans braved rain, snow and blazing sun to vote for their commander in chief, wanting their voice to counter Kerry's appeal to craven pessimists. In some precincts, voters waited for hours. Pundits who provided us with Election Day analysis believed these long lines, coupled with fatally flawed exit polls, would redound to the benefit of John Kerry -- the antiwar candidate who would sound the call for retreat.

But the Americans who waited in line to cast their votes are the quiet patriots who live in small towns and rural communities in the so-called "Red States." For them, standing in line is not the burden the elite media, who prize instant gratification, make it out to be. After all, these are the people who stand in line at Wal-Marts for hunting and fishing licenses. They stand in line on Sundays at church to shake hands with the minister or receive communion. And these are the same people who formed long lines in mid-September 2001 to give blood, donate time and energy, sift through rubble, put out fires, distribute Bibles and blankets, and pour coffee.

The people who formed those long lines at the polling places on Tuesday are the friends, family and neighbors of those young people who formed lines in 2001 out the doors of the Army and Marine Corps recruiting offices.

On Tuesday, these quiet patriots came to the defense of their commander in chief; they came out to support the troops by casting a vote for the man in whom the troops put their faith.

And so now President Bush will take his 58-million-vote mandate -- more than any candidate for president has ever received -- and begin to work on the opportunities that lie ahead. "I've earned capital in this election, and I'm going to spend it," the president said at his first post-election news conference on Thursday.

The president will use that capital to continue to work toward peace and stability in Afghanistan, Iraq and the Middle East. While Bush was preparing for his second term in Washington, U.S. forces in Iraq were preparing for an offensive in Fallujah to kill or capture the remaining terrorists in that city and provide stability in anticipation of the national elections early next year.

With Palestinian terrorist Yassir Arafat near death, a new opportunity exists in the Middle East to bring peace to the region. President Bush said he will "continue to work for a free Palestinian state that's at peace with Israel."

Bush also has numerous opportunities at home. Conventional wisdom holds that during the next four years as many as three seats could open on the Supreme Court. During his first term, Democrats waged an aggressive, obstructionist campaign against the president's judicial nominees. If they are serious about their desire to create a bipartisan spirit of cooperation in Washington, Democrats will have to welcome jurists who value human life, the sanctity of marriage and our Judeo-Christian heritage.

Tax relief and simplification of the tax code are high on the president's agenda and much needed improvements. Reform of the Social Security system is an issue that no politician has had the courage to undertake in a serious way. Bush is about to embark on a historic effort to improve our retirement system and will need the cooperation of Democrats who, even in this latest campaign, tried to use it as a scare tactic and a wedge issue.

The people have spoken, they've given our president a mandate, and he is ready to go to work on their behalf. The only question that remains is, have the Democrats learned their lesson and are they ready to help President Bush, or will they simply appoint new obstructionists to replace the old ones like Tom Daschle and Terry McAuliffe?
[/b]

Would you have gone to war with Iraq?
"You bet we might have" - John Fraud Kerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: