SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Howdy...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adidas
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Howdy... Reply with quote

Hey, was pointed to this site from an online friend -- Liked what I saw very much, so I decided to join up. I noticed it said only vets allowed, I'm not a veteran by no stretch. Confused

However I do perform volunteer bugling for deceased veterans in and around my state of NC. I've currently bugled approximately 40+ funerals since I began last August sadly.

Just hoping I am welcomed here in the Bush supporting. Very Happy
garb1015
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello adidas

You're in the right place, the other forum is Vets only.
I commend you for your volunteer work, I am sure it meant a lot to the families of the deceased.

garb1015
adidas
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure does. As I said, I began doing it last August. That was because my grandfather passed away and he was a Korean War veteran. He received a pre-folded flag, no military present, and no 'taps' if it wasn't for myself.

That led my father and I onto the growing lack of buglers to sound 'taps' in our country. We gladly took the role of doing it in our county and surrounding counties. We consider it an honor to do, and do not require compensation -- Never have, never will.
garb1015
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father passed away in 1997. He was a WWII veteran and I have his flag.
He didn't talk much about his time in Europe but I know he was always proud of it.
I would have been honored to have had taps played at his service.
You and your father keep up the good work you are doing.
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know when my uncle passed away a year ago he had the honor of a military service...but taps was played over a loud speaker. There is not enough people to actually play taps, so it is appreciated. I know I told my husband when I die I want a military funeral. I want that flagged draped over my coffin because it was (and those of you still serving is) a honor to serve this country.

I may want to be buried in my blue jeans and "Michigan" t-shirt...but I damn proud to be a vet and will never be ashamed that I have served. I would go Iraq today if they asked for any and all volunteers...To defend this country in war or peace is something each and everyone of us should be proud of. God Bless this great country and continue to watch over her.
hist/student
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adidas, what you are doing playing taps is a big, big deal.

Thank you very much..... glad you found this website.
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a trumpeteer in high school and while I was in the guard after my active duty time I performed services for Vets. I led the burial detail which gave 21 gun salutes and flag folding and presentations to the family. We didn't have taps except one time. I volunteered to do an echoing bugle with the grandson of one Vet. The most beautiful taps that I have ever been a part of, however there was one problem. I got this big lump in my throat and struggled to get through it. I did and didn't miss a beat or note, but that experience told me I was a little to close to it and should enjoy the talent of others and not participate in that capacity again. Personally I know that I could never work through that, so my trumpet is back on the rack but I do appreciate you doing what I couldn't continue to do. Keep it up it is appreciated and admirred, Semper Fi.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: