SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Kerry Tall Tale - Kerry in E. Germany?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Another Kerry Tall Tale - Kerry in E. Germany? Reply with quote

Another Kerry Tall Tale?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6421296/site/newsweek/

... Kerry felt alone and isolated. It was not an unfamiliar feeling. His father had been a Foreign Service officer stationed in Berlin. As a boy, shipped off to a severe Swiss boarding school by his remote yet demanding father, Kerry had to take a night train through communist East Germany. The cold war had been at its coldest and darkest in Germany in the early 1950s. Recounting his memories to a NEWSWEEK reporter in the summer of 2004, Kerry could vividly picture himself clutching a piece of paper with directions written out by his parents—a somber, long-faced boy, traveling alone across a forbidding landscape, fearful but determined not to show it.

Were westerners allowed to take trains throught E. Germany in this timeframe?

-- FDL
Hans Burkhardt
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe so, but were watched very closely and I don't think that they were allowed off of the train. There was also a roadway linking West Berlin with the west.
bw
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a brown shoe Army/Air Force brat-went to school at Erding. It's my recollection that dependents did not travel unaccompanied.Dad once got lost on a family road trip, at a check point in Berlin and was aggresively told to "get".An early story of K ridding his bike in in the communist zone is suspect to me and being a lifers brat that heavy brouge accent of 1971 sucks too. Also having a car was difficult {lots of other kids dads did not have one} and I recall traveling on trains to many places in the western zone and the Swiss Alps, with my parents. My memories are that of a six to ten year old c1950-1953
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm born in Berlin 59 and discussed this story of Kerry’s along with another one about him bicycling through the Brandenburg gate, at length with my parents.

Unfortunately ..... or fortunately this is an occasion when Kerry May be telling the truth. Such things were possible especially when possessing a Dipl. Passport.

On a brighter note, this morning, six days after the ellection, there is a radio station, here in Baltimore (680 AM) 'flipping out' over Kerry's diaries detailing him meeting with terrorists.

Appairently this is mentioned in the latest NewsWeek.

Thing is all the information was here for a month before the ellection. This is proof possitive evidence of the press burying a story for pollitical means.

Last edited by Uisguex Jack on Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
one more captins mast
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: thanks be to them that lie,,,,,,,!!!! Reply with quote

as you know, they lied for him, now for them the record is clear..

they and he have done a mutual, distruct, combo,, he lies, they repete

his lies and often ,, in the repete spend some energy , tell of thoes who

stand up and say,,, " but its a lie" now double proof, and its from them

they must now face their own lies in print, for not just us but for

History, and the History books. The History of this will not be kind to

them as they will be gone and those who write will be thinking ,

"had those nuts had their way, the lies would be all we would be

allowed to "repete , knowing them to be lies" and they will take the

time to "say thanks to those who " pointed the light" , and they

will also ask,,,,,,,WHY DID NOT THE OTHERS IN THE POTICAL WORLD

KNOW AND SPEAK OF THE LIES ALSO,,,,,,,,,,?????????????????????????

things gonna change,, the
"GOLDEN" sand box they all play in , is not their SAND BOX

"ITS OUR SAND BOX"
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember of history, prior to the Berlin Wall being built in 1962 Berlin was fairly open. People from the western zone could visit the eastern zone - and vice versa - pretty freely. The "brain drain" resulting from eastern sector residents visiting the western zone and neglecting to return was what caused the East Germans to build the Berlin Wall.

An authorized rail and road corridor also existed, both before and after the Wall was built. I can't comment on dependants being able to ride trains or drive these corridors solo, as I wasn't ever stationed in Germany during the Cold War.
Mooncusser
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not believe in the handsome young prince stories anymore. Laughing

I actually won the election before I lost it.

"It is a good day to fight! It is a good day to die! Strong hearts, brave hearts to the front! Weak hearts and cowards to the rear!" (Crazy Horse)
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote:

On a brighter note, this morning, six days after the ellection, there is a radio station, here in Baltimore (680 AM) 'flipping out' over Kerry's diaries detailing him meeting with terrorists.

Appairently this is mentioned in the latest NewsWeek.

Thing is all the information was here for a month before the ellection. This is proof possitive evidence of the press burying a story for pollitical means.

Just as we speculated once Kerry was defeated the press would no longer feel the nead to provide cover for him. Now is the time to bury Kerry for good. Send in all the editorials you wrote that didn’t get published. With the election over and the Petersen trial ending there is a huge vacuum. Let’s seize the moment and fill the vacuum.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: