SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thank you SwiftVets and POWs, my father is on cloud 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wvobiwan
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Thank you SwiftVets and POWs, my father is on cloud 9 Reply with quote

I joined the SW forum back in August after coming across a reference to it on line. As the younger son of a 2-tour Vietnam Vet my first post dealt with the fragile feelings of a 6-8 year old missing his daddy, and not understanding why people on the news and at school were saying horrible things about him.

It also dealt with my resentment towards him, and my shame because of it. As I became an adult I began to understand what he meant by honor, duty, country, and committment. My pride in my father began to take on more and more depth, and shape. And to this day it grows everytime I see and talk to him.

My father didn't talk much about his experiences in Vietnam, or especially after. I came to understand his feeling of shame for being forced to leave behind good friends and comrades in the S. Vietnamese, Mong, and Montanyards. He was always very stoic about it, and professed to not care what the nation thought about his service. But I think inside he always burned with frustration and anger about the anti-war betrayers and what they did to Vietnam, and his own country. I think he always secretly longed for vindication.

Before I joined the the SwiftBoat/POW Forum I only had a vague understanding of John Kerry's role in the theft of our Vietnam soldiers' and marines' honor. I had a fuzzy notion that John Kerry was a hero who couldn't obey viscious and criminal orders. I confess I believed the Kerry/liberal media propaganda - information is a powerful thing and at the time I had none.

Veterans on this site opened my eyes to the real story, even more than my father had. In fact, my father was amazed at the level of detail and information I obtained from or through your website.

The experience of discussing this with my father was a watershed moment in my life. My father was always my hero, even when I missed him and couldn't understand why he was gone. But now my father and I are even closer than before, and I understand the true depth of his character, and Vietnam Vets/POWs in general, more than I ever have.
What Vets have gone through due to the Kerry/Fonda/Anti-war theft of their honor is perhaps the most sickening betrayal I've ever seen.

And so I thank you SwiftVets and POWs, from the bottom of my heart, and for eternity. Not only were you instrumental in preventing a traitor from being elected as my president, but you also exposed the lies and smears perpetrated on my father and all Vietnam Vets. Even more important than that (to me, please understand), you helped me understand my father better, and I'm more proud of him than ever. For all of these reasons, and of course for your wartime service to my country, I will aways be in your debt.

Sincerely,

Doug
Harpers Ferry, WV
smalltowngirl
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, your post brought tears to my eyes. I don't have a story like yours, but I, too, thank the Swift Vets and POW's for saving this great country from disaster. Thank you all!!
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug:

That is a beautiful letter. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Your letter highlights one more battle we have ahead. Many people in the public have been aware of what happened during the Vietnam era, but not all.

Still, the MSM attacks the Swifties as "discredited" and they still prop up Kerry and his anti-American (they call it "anit-war) activities.

Most troubling to me is that in many ways the MSM was trying to instigate an "anti-soldier or anti-military" public perception with Abu-Garaib! Remember? Wasn't that how the MSM began the "anti-soldier" stuff during Vietnam?

I believe that it is up to us to continue the fight! The election was, of course, a great victory! But, it was not "the war." We still have to educate the public on what Kerry, his anit-American cohorts, and the MSM have done to this country, then and NOW.

It is no mistake that Kerry called our allies in Iraq "the bribed and the coerced." His statements during the campaign did more damage to this country! No one in the media is pointing this out.

Kerry was anti-American then, and he is aniti-American now!

We need to force the MSM to acknowledge their guilt in the loss of the honor of all veterans and their complicity in the damage of America's image in the world.

I was just a little girl during the Vietnam era. But, I believe that "the war" with the MSM and the anti-American faction is not over, until every American knows of Kerry's military records, his anti-American activities, and the guilt and bias of the MSM.

Final Note to Anyone: I have not been able to visit this site in the last few days. Could someone please tell me (and make my day) that we are going to continue this site and "the war" on the MSM and Kerry!
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, your story is truly moving. It is so gratifying that the efforts of the Swiftvets, while accomplishing their main goals so magnificently, also managed to enhance damaged, or at least unrealized, relationships with loved ones.

A sad reality of the Swiftvets efforts is that no 'official' recognition or thanks will be forthcoming. Due to their 527 status, there will probably be no invitations to inaugural activities or other public acknowledgements by the Administration, although we all know they are deeply grateful.

On the other hand, this is a group of patriots who can take personal pride in having accomplished their mission. Although they have not received - and probably never will - an apology from Kerry for his damaging lies, they can go back to their lives knowing that a large body of people here in these forums will always remember and salute them.

If anyone can think of more we can do, I'm in.

Schadow
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddies from Loma Linda and Prescott VA are also on cloud nine. Many, many of my bumper stickers went to them. They thank all the SwiftVets from the bottom of their hearts...and definitely without the Kerry hand patting his chest kind.
wvobiwan
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, I had tears in my eyes writing that. Someday I hope to meet some of these gentlemen in person, I would dearly love to shake their hands.

And I agree with subsequent posters - we still have more to do with regard to Kerry, the anti-war crowd, and in particular the liberal media.
MarineBrat
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug:

Take good care of your old man. Smile I lost mine in 1993 and I really wish he could be here with me to congratulate and thank these Swift Vets. My dad joined the USMC in 1943 and fought in the Pacific. He fought in Korea and also has a Nam ribon with two stars, which I guess means 3 campaigns. I'm not exactly sure how that works, and he never talked about it. He retired in 1970, and for many years I had no idea whatsoever how much he gave to his country. But these Swiftees have taught me how much I owe my old man, and it sounds like they've done the same for you.

I long to say thanks to my father, and I'll never have the chance again, but it does my heart good to know that your dad will see the understanding in his son's eyes that my father never really knew. God Bless you both! And please, if it's not too korny for you, give my regards and sincere thanks to your dad!

Semper Fidelis,

MarineBrat
ALMOUNT
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,
Wonderful letter Son, thank you.

Like you, I heard about this site and joined back in the summer.

I'm not a Navy guy, just an old infantry dude, but this site has brought more Vets together than anyone could ever have dreamed.

I just hope my meager comments have helped in someway.

http://www.DELTARAIDERS.COM

I killed a six pack....just to watch it DIE
wvobiwan
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I printed this thread for my Dad, thanks again to all who replied.

Dad doesn't do bytes, sorry, but he sends his thanks and admiration as well.
MJB
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man...that salt on the keyboard can't be a good thing... You'd think there would be some Kleenex around when you need it...
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doug, My eyes are blurry. We won a major battle, however we have a long way to go to win the war. It is my opinion the war will be won when the majority of America has been educated about the real Vietnam veteran’s experience. Even when the public has been educated with the truth I do not expect all Americans to accept it. But at least they heard it and chose to reject the truth and perhaps latter in life someday they will accept the true story about the Vietnam veteran experience.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Fox
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My story is similar to Doug's.

My dad went to Vietnam (Ashau Valley) right after I was born in 1968. I was too young to remember much of anything about what took place back then. All I remember is that he did not talk about it very much. I grew up believing he was not proud of what he had done there.

As an adult I found out that he was not ashamed of anything he or anyone he had known had done, but that there was such a negative view of Vietnam Vets he never really felt comfortable talking about it. He was never spat upon or anything like that, but he was denied the comfort to speak proudly about his service.

BTW, my father is an old school Democrat who never voted for a Republican until this election. He opposed the Vietnam War before he went and after he returned, but not because he believed that Vets were a bunch of war criminals. He just did not think the loss of American life was worth it.

Defeating Kerry was a great first step, but we should not stop this fight until the honor that rightfully belongs to our brave and decent soldiers is restored. I think it is great that we have a monument to those who died in Vietnam, but it makes it seem like the only thing we should remember about Vietnam is what a horrible waste of life it was. We really need a tribute to the Vietnam Vets that honors their service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: