SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Traveling with Kerry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hmcsgus
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Traveling with Kerry Reply with quote

Out of curiousity, are the Swift boat vets traveling with Kerry and appearing in his ads paid a stipend? I understand and appreciate their loyalty to a man who saved their live(s) but wonder if they are volunteers or paid staff.
21 yrs and still serving
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Traveling with Kerry Reply with quote

hmcsgus wrote:
Out of curiousity, are the Swift boat vets traveling with Kerry and appearing in his ads paid a stipend? I understand and appreciate their loyalty to a man who saved their live(s) but wonder if they are volunteers or paid staff.

Rumor and common sense has it that they're being paid by the campaign. They'd almost have to be as these are mainly regular working guys---read not weathy.
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Traveling with Kerry Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
hmcsgus wrote:

Rumor and common sense has it that they're being paid by the campaign. They'd almost have to be as these are mainly regular working guys---read not weathy.

Then again, they could be retired -- I believe Drew Witlow is -- and just have their expenses paid for.

Either way, I don't think they are in it for the money, at least that's the rumor I heard.

Doug
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Traveling with Kerry Reply with quote

DougReese wrote:
ASPB wrote:
hmcsgus wrote:

Then again, they could be retired -- I believe Drew Witlow is -- and just have their expenses paid for.

Either way, I don't think they are in it for the money, at least that's the rumor I heard.

Doug

I would tend to agree with you that it's not for the money.

Given statements they've made in the past a reasonable person could however question their motives. A study of what they said in 1996 leaves me some very obvious unanswered questions.

Quote:
Thomas Bellodeau, from a working class family in North Chelmsford, Mass., was a front gunner and radar man on Kerry's boat. He remembers the senator, whose radio name was "Rock Jaw," and the furious action that earned him Silver and Bronze stars and one of three Purple Hearts. The Bronze Star was awarded for the events of March 13, 1969, according to the Navy citation. With a graze wound in his right arm, Kerry turned back into enemy fire to rescue a soldier fallen overboard.

But the battle Bellodeau remembers best was the one on Feb. 28 that earned Kerry the Silver Star. Especially vivid is his memory of the alarm he felt when Kerry turned their boat directly into enemy fire. It was an unusual strategy in a war in which cautious commanders tended to avoid direct assaults if air power or artillery could do the job. But it worked. The Viet Cong retreated, leaving behind a cache of weapons.

Bellodeau remembers thinking to himself: " `I'm never doing that again. We're going to have to talk to this guy (Kerry).' A lot of the new guys came in gung ho, and we had already seen one skipper shot. But just when I was thinking about all that, there was more fire from the banks and he ordered the boat turned back into shore once again."

Though some questioned his tactics, Kerry had the respect of the boat, says Bellodeau, now a union electrician. "It always seemed to be the right decision. We're all alive, put it that way."

Drew Whitlow, from a poor family in Oklahoma, was the back gunner on Kerry's swift boat. "He volunteered us for everything. He'd always step forward and say, `We'll do it. Load up men.' And we'd say, `Oh my God, here we go again,' “he remembers. ”We called him the John Wayne of Vietnam."

Whitlow went on to a naval career, retiring after 26 years in 1991. He was surprised when he saw Kerry in the news in 1971, speaking out against a war he had so eagerly fought. "I thought it was kind of a betrayal. He did a 180 on me. But then he went into politics, and it all kind of made sense. . . . He was a guy with a plan, you know, and that's okay. I guess."

We both know that the #1 rule of combat is force protection with "accomplishing the mission" a distant 2nd.

This was especially true on the rivers in late '68 and '69 with troops being drawn down and "Vietnamization" in progress. In Riverine we'd already turned over 1 full division of boats to Viets in Dec. of 69. A 2nd division was turned over in early March of '69

Sounds like, regardless of speculation on his motives, Kerry definitely had his priorities reversed. Not a good trait in a combat officer I'm sure you'll agree. But, then again, maybe not...... Laughing

Best Always,

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: