SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off topic again.. I need advice.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.::geo::.
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Off topic again.. I need advice. Reply with quote

Okay, so.. My husband and I have a 3 1/2 year old 3/4 beagle 1/4 rat terrier. His name is Charlie. Last Tuesday I took him in to the Vet, as I thought he may have lymes disease -- he had a fever... was very lethargic.. he just didn't seem right. The Vet ran a few tests and thought it was likely he had lymes, and started him on an antibiotic and a pain pill. So I gave him his meds when we got home.. about 3pm. At 6pm he couldn't walk on his hind legs. I hurried him back to the Vet, and she informed me that he has a prolapsed disc in his back. Basically one of his discs is crammed up into his spinal cord and is cutting off all the feeling to his back end. He's been at the animal hospital since. He's been seen by an animal chiropractor... She's basically done all she can. Now it's a matter of waiting the 1 to 3 months, keeping him confined, to see how well he's going to heal, and just how much feeling he's going to have after that.

Surgical treatment isn't an option quite yet. One of the Universities here is doing a trial on dogs with his condition, but we haven't heard back from them yet. I don't want to have him put to sleep... he's too young.. and he was like our first child.. He was actually our 'test' for having children. We thought if we can handle a puppy and have him turn out okay, we would think about kids. (Man, were we in for a big surprise when we had our son!)

I honestly have no idea what to do. I have all these people telling me to just have him euthanized, as treatment is going to cost a fortune. Putting him down is just something I cannot do... that, to me, is for an animal that has no chance of any kind of recovery...

Ideas?? Advice?? Anybody??

e,

Georgi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Somebunny
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about your dog!

I would definitely look into the experimental treatment. We had a german shepard, who got Parvo disease when she was only 6 months old. That is one of the worst diseases a dog can get, and we believe she got it from the vaccine for it. It's a one in a million chance to get it, just like human vaccines, but that's how she got it.

Anyways, we were on the verge of putting this 6 month old puppy to sleep, when the vet checked into this experimental program they were doing at Cornell University. They took Sierra and kept her and treated her with experimental medicines. They had her for about 3 weeks, and she came home healthy to us. Because it was experimental, all we paid were the boarding fees, something like $8 a night. It was well worth it in the long run!

Good luck!
GiveMeFreedom
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Georgi, I feel for you. I have a dog that is 12 years old and has an auto-immune problem with his eyes, and I have spent over $1500.00 on him (so far), for the last 12 months. And it will now be at least $60 per month to keep him on his meds. The problem with this is any time he gets stressed (ie, when I board him to go away for a few days), he develops an infection in his eyes, and I have to go through 2-3 weeks of antibiotics-oral & drops (while he's off his regular meds)...and then begins the puking & other nasty stuff. It is a never-ending battle. He is losing his sight now - badly. I am almost to the point of having to put him to sleep, because we are in an endless cycle of recurring infections right now.

My advice? Try the experiments - and well, if you can afford it, and your schedule permits it (the limits on your time to care for him), set a goal (say 3-4 or maybe 6 months), and then decide - if he's not better by then, you may have to make the hard choice. I know from experience this is difficult, but believe me - you will reach your limit eventually...I know I am. Eventually, the animal no longer has a very good "quality of life", and you have to do what's best for them.
I'm so sorry for your situation, for I am there too, and completely empathize. Sad
Good Luck!
http://www.operationac.com
Support our Soldiers!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi .::geo::.

I would wait and see how your doggie does. If there is a possibility to wait it out for surgery, if that is an option, I would. If your doggie is not suffering in a lot of pain and acts normally otherwise....I would just wait and see how she/he fairs. It will probably be a lot more work for you...so you should think about that and see if you are prepared for that and to give up time.

As far as putting your doggie to sleep (I do not like the other term...so cold), I would not unless your doggie will be suffering and in horrible pain the rest of his/her life...then that would be the kind thing. But if your doggie is not suffering and not in any real pain or it is managable by pain meds and doggie does fine with that, by all means do not put him/her to sleep.

Many times people will do things saying it is for someone elses sake, or for the best interest of, or so the doggie won't suffer, but many a time it is just pure selfish reasons and they use those things, people, or animals as an escape out of doing the right thing.

You do what is right for you and what is best for your doggie according to what you know and see and what the Vet says. Do not listen to any know it alls and do not let anyone make you feel guilty for whatever you decide to do that is best for your family and your doggie.

Hope I helped a little.

L****
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a Greyhound years ago, he was my best friend. Greatest dog there was in my opinion and like a member of the family.
He all of a sudden became lethargic and in obvious pain. Turns out he had Cancer in his hip. There was no real treatment except amputation, and experimental chemo.
I decided that I could not let him suffer anymore, he could have made it on 3 legs, but it was the cancer and chemo. It would have caused him even more suffering.
It was the hardest decision I had to make at the time. I laid down with him on the floor as they pumped in the meds, and said my final goodbyes as he stopped breathing. (getting to me right now talking about it and this was 11 years ago).
Good luck and you will know the right thing to do.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geo:

If your doggie isn't in pain, there's a reasonable chance that he will recover, and you can cope with the problems during his recovery period, hang in there. What does your vet recommend that you do?

I had both my dogs put to sleep last Tuesday. It was a tough decision and I cried from Sunday evening (when it first hit me that I needed to think about the unthinkable) and Tuesday morning when I let them cross the Rainbow Bridge together.

Mindy was a 12-year-old Great Pyrenees. She had hip dysplasia (for which she'd had surgery) and arthritis. Those problems had caused nerve degeneration so she had bowel and bladder control problems (and putting a diaper on a 90 lb. long-haired dog is not an option) and she dragged her left hind foot. I'd been dealing with these problems for over a year. Holistic treatment in the spring had helped temporarily, but she had been declining pretty obviously over the last couple of months.

She had trouble getting up and her only exercise was walking to the mailbox with me each day. She really couldn't walk more than that without scuffing and bloodying that dragging foot.

Buddy was a Dachshund, almost 17 years old. He was a rescue that I got when he was almost 5, and Mindy was 3 months old. They were best friends from day 1. In the last few months, he slept all the time and had bladder control problems. He was also starting to show signs of dementia.

I'd been sleeping downstairs on a futon since sometime in February so I could be near Mindy when she needed me. I couldn't go anywhere for more than a few hours at a time, and had to clean up messes several times a day (thank goodness for a plastic-covered doggie waterbed with cotton sheets I'd made, ceramic floors, industrial-strength absorbent pads, and a Swiffer WetJet).

I was bathing Mindy Sunday afternoon and realized how hard it was going to be on two elderly dogs to have frequent baths during the winter (and dogs with bladder problems need baths). I also realized that neither dog had much quality of life. I'm fortunate that I can work at home a lot, but my office is upstairs, and neither dog could get up the stairs.

When I started the holistic treatment on Mindy, I switched both dogs to a fresh and raw diet and they both gained weight and their skin improved markedly. They both looked great for old dogs. However, both began losing weight again a couple of months ago, even though they were on the same diet and were eating all they cared to eat.

Once I started going over everything in my mind, I knew what I had to do. I realized that I had done pretty much everything I could possibly have done, and there would be no more miracles.

I had never thought about them going together, but it made sense. Buddy wasn't getting a lot of pleasure out of life. Mindy still got some, but it didn't make sense to wait until she couldn't get up at all. As it was, she'd sometimes lose her footing and she'd have to wait for me to help her get up. I wanted to let her go while she still had a little dignity and spark left.

In that day and a half while I was making sure of my decision, I gave them two special meals, I brushed Mindy one long last time, I held them both and told them I loved them. I had the vet take care of them in the back of my car as I held each one and comforted them. They are buried together, curled up together as they often were in real life, in my SO's fruit tree orchard next to two big fig trees.

I miss them, especially Mindy because her bed was where I had to step across her any time I moved around downstairs and I'd reach down to pet her. But I know I did the right thing, and my sadness is mixed with relief. It has been a strain taking care of both of them for months and months, knowing that there would be no more miracles.

Putting an animal to sleep is sometimes the best gift you can give them. You have to weigh all the possibilities and decide what is best for your beloved pet. Remember, it's not about you, it's about what's best for your pet...

Don't give up on your doggie if there is any reasonable chance he can recover and you can cope with taking care of him during the recovery period. If he doesn't recover, or he's in a lot of pain still, then you may have to make that choice.

It helps to think about the Rainbow Bridge and Doggie Heaven. In Doggie Heaven, our pets are young and whole again! (When I had to have another Doxie put to sleep over four years ago, a dear friend of mine sent me a children's book called "Doggie Heaven". It really comforted me, especially when one of the illustrations showed a little red Dachshund just like Katie asleep on a cloud in heaven. I've lent that book to several friends who've lost pets.)

Sorry for the long message, but I've just been through this double-hard. It is different with an older pet who has had chronic problems, but it's not an easy decision no matter what.

Mindy and Buddy, RIP (Nov. 9, 2004)

MLB
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for your situation with your dog. Crying or Very sad Hope it goes well.

A few years ago our dog had the same problem, except he had other problems too. The vet did surgery on his back, plus removed an unrelated cancerous tumor from his neck. We have no idea how he would have done after surgery because he died in recovery - so that answered the tough question (he was 13).

After the fact though I wondered about the possibility of using acupuncture. If I were to be in that situation again, and if I had the financial means, I would look into it, and other forms of alternative medicine.

Another thing - if you belong to a church that does healing blessings - ask for one for your pet. I know most people only think in terms of people for that sort of thing - but since our pets are God's creatures too, and are loved by him, and us - its worth trying - even if people do look at you cross-eyed.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Oh man, I should have never read this thread! Crying or Very sad

Oh geo, I hope you have peace with whatever you decide. It is so hard to know what is the "right" thing to do. I guess my advice is really what doll and others said about giving it some time and exhausting all the possible options, while not allowing your dear dog to suffer needlessly. And by possible I mean what is possible for you to do.

I had a border collie, smartest dog in the world, no lie--she got sick on September 11, 2001. (I hate that fricken day. I really do.) She was 14, and my bestest friend. I took her to my vet and he said she probably had cancer, and it turns out she did. We spent a ton of money and she didn't get better, but I could not have forgiven myself if I hadn't tried. And I was fortunate to be able to have that option. When it was time to put her down the sweet vet and his asst came to our house so that Bonnie could be around all the people she loved, and not in an antiseptic hospital when she was put down. I held her in my lap and cried like a three year old.

Oh, geo, I know how hard this is. I am so sorry. I will say a prayer for you and your doggie. Poor baby. Here is a cyber <<<<HUG>>>>

And we will all hold good thoughts that the disc will improve. Be hopeful!
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so sorry about your pet. I have a golden retriver, and she has some sort of eye disease and we can't get it cleared up. She is not seeig very well, I'm afraid i'll have to put her down. of course I won't do it on a whim but still it may happen. It will be awful for all of us, not the least are my grandchildren who love her.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geo:

Damn, this thread brings back memories.

Having a pet euthanized is awfully hard. I've been through it three times.

But so is watching a loved companion declining, with no hope of recovery, and in pain.

I can't tell you what you should do. However, in this situation I've found two things worth remembering.

First, a good life is worth fighting - hard - to keep. Mere existence may not be.

And second, some advice from a wise friend: follow your heart. It won't mislead you.
.::geo::.
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

It's things like this that really make me love everyone here! Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences and advice with me... I really can't tell you how much it means to me to be able to come to a place like this... to get angry.. and laugh.. and in this instance, cry, with people you don't really "know". I love your sincerity and kindness. I love the fact that so many people, from so many different places, can band together for one common cause, and end up connecting for other reasons.

It really is comforting to know that there are so many people that can say, "Hey, I've been there, you'll get through it."

I know that God doesn't give us any more than we can handle. Sometimes we just need a little guidance on how to handle what gets tossed our way.

Charlie will be coming home tomorrow morning, and we'll go from there.. one day at a time.

I'm a super touchy-feely person, so here's a massive (((((((((GROUP HUG)))))))) Very Happy

Love,

Georgi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Inatizzy
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had to put our dog Papillion down about 6 months ago. He was 1/2 Chow and 1/2 Rhodesian Ridgeback (weird combination, but he was a fine looking dog) He developed congestive heart failure. He swelled up with fluid in his lungs and couldn't breath. He was suffering alot. It was hard to let him go.

I guess your finances will determine how far you can go in your dog's treatment. Take it as far as the money will allow. Then when you can't afford to do anymore, keep him comfortable and do whatever you can to help him recover. If recovery isn't possible and he's suffering, then it's time to put him to bed. If he isn't suffering, then only you know how much time and energy you want to put into nursing him and keeping him comfortable.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Loosing a friend is painful, even if it's a furry friend.
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geo,

My heart goes out to you and to your puppy. Yers ago, when I was about 13, I rescued a little stray puppy and of course that meant the family got a dog. A sort time after we got her home Zsa Zsa came down with something that seemed to be distemper. My parents left it up to me whether to put her down or wait. I waited and Zsa Zsa recovered. For the next fifteenyears she had a little tic,but otherwise was just fine, and was the sweetest tempered dog the family ever had. Adn one of the smartest. she evenlearned how to spell words like r-i-d-e, and b-a-l-l. And I remembr our company dogs in Viet Nam, Funky, Martha and DEROS, wonderful friends all of them. Dogs are 4-legged people.
It's not my place, but I plead to give the puppy a chance.

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to add a polsitive note to this topic Smile (sorry.. slightly off-topic)

Speaking of Ridgbacks... I was working on a ranch (Texas) while I was in jr high and high school.

The Mexican family that was working for the rancher had two Ridgbacks, named capalo and Tumalo (sp?!). Great dogs! I learned that, more or less, if you don't raise the dogs since they were pups, that they will tear you a new hole or 10. Very protective (and loyal) dogs!!!
Well, I never knew them while they were pups Confused so they didn't like me at first... I had to hide any time they were around... but if I mounted a horse for work or for play, they were always right there with me running alongside like we were best friends. I remember 1 day we were running across the ranch and the horse I was on jumped for no reason.. I turned to see why and I saw 1 of the dogs jump too.. then he immediatly turned to look.... we had jumped over a rattlesnake... so we all took off to get away from the area and out of danger Razz

We had a pretty good run that day, and it was hot, so soon after that happened, the dogs found a tree to lay down and rest (panting hard).. I dismounted and walked over, sat down and pet the dogs... I think they were too tired to object Smile

After that day... if anyone looked at me funny or anything looked like it was threatning me, they would get between me and whatever the threat was. I still love those dogs to this day.

I little back on topic.. I had a pet goat the rancher had given me.. I never had to worry about putting any animals down, thank God... but one day my pet goat had died. I can reember how sad I was, he was too young to die, only about 2 months old! Someone had poisoned him and I could do nothing about it. I wanted to, but being that my mother hated animals and was so selfish, she had put rat poisoning into his food. I didn't find that out until 15 years later when my father told me that he found out after the fact that she had done that. I don't know why he didn't tell me sooner.. but maybe that was for the better...

As for the real topic here... I hope that everything goes well with your dog Smile And being that you brought this point up, it made another question pop up in my mind about the difference in 'our' thinking and 'their' thinking. If the 'moonbats' were put into this same situation, how would they handle it? I ask because it appears that they are some REALLY selfish people that usually only think short term and only for themselves.
It's a scary thought since I personally love animals and unlike some people, I believe that animals have deep feelings just a a human does... they just can't comminucate as well with us. I'm sure most people on this board (SwftVets) feel that they know when something is wrong with your pet even though you can't speak with them.... it's almost like a sixth sense... You know their habits, their expressions... it's like they are family. Anyway, I think you all get my point, and I am babblling Confused

MJ
shooter
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geo:

I have 8 dogs. 3 Siberian Huskies, 3 Westies, 1 Rotty and a Mutt. In July, I had to put Ms. Kate, a 14 yr. old Huskie, to sleep. This dog was amazing. She had borne 10 puppies, survived breast cancer, survived Lyme disease, had arthritis and was the sweetest dog I had ever had. There were days that she acted 3 and days I know she felt 103. In the end, her heart just gave out and we couldn't save her. So, I sat on the floor of the vets office with her head in my lap and we said our goodby's as they injected her.

Two weeks later, her son Miko was diagnosed with blood cancer. The vet opened him up and removed a 10lb. tumor that was attached to his spleen. Needless to say, it was touch and go for quit a while. Today, Miko is chasing the horses up and down the driveway and we just celebrated his 12th birthday !!!

I said all that, to say this: You are the only one who can make the decision. We have spent thousands of dollars on our dogs, even when we couldn't afford to. They are our "Kids" as we were not able to have the two legged kind. In the end, you have to look at what quality of life the animal will have. Can the pain they're enduring be sufficiently diminished with meds? Are you prolonging their life for their benefit or yours?

My heart goes out to you as we have been there.

"The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs." Excluding those on this website!!!

For those that fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know !!

Harley Davidson - If you have to ask, you don't understand !

Gun Control = Double tap - center mass
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: