SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT Dolphins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: OT Dolphins Reply with quote

Saved from the jaws of death
Published on 24 November 2004
DOLPHINS saved a former St Ives man and his daughter from a shark attack as they swam off the northern New Zealand coast.

The bottlenose dolphins surrounded Rob Howes, 47, his daughter Niccy, 15, Helen Slade, 16, and Karina Cooper, 15, and kept a three-metre great white shark away.

The group, from the Whangarei Heads Surf Lifesaving Club, spent 40 minutes out at sea surrounded by the dolphins until the shark moved off.

Mr Howes, a part-time beach lifeguard who emigrated from Ramsey 12 years ago, was on a training swim with the teenagers to mark Helen's first day as a lifeguard.

The group was 100 metres from the beach when up to seven agitated dolphins appeared.

"We were suddenly surrounded by dolphins who rounded us up," he told the News.

"We just could not work out what was going on. We are used to dolphins coming and interacting with us but this behaviour was totally out of character.

"I managed to get away after about 15-20 minutes and a large dolphin came straight at me and herded me back. It was then that I saw the shark. It just cruised past me about two metres away.

"It was heading straight for Niccy and one of her friends. My heart was in my mouth but I was powerless. The dolphins went mad and we think it was to create confusion for the shark.

"I had to put my faith in the dolphins and hoped they would look after us. That's what they did. They corralled us up to protect us."

Mr Howes, who was previously named New Zealand Lifeguard of the Year, emigrated from Bury Road in Ramsey with his wife Sue, 51, a teacher, and children Justine, 24, Adam, 22, Caroline, 20, who has been named in next year's New Zealand women's hockey squad, and Niccy, who is also a hockey player.

He grew up in St Ives, home to many of his relatives, and worked for Atcost Structures.

Close friend Bev Barlow, from Colne, said she was shocked and astounded to hear what had happened.

She said: "Niccy is our goddaughter and we are hoping to go to visit her on her 18th birthday. I can't believe what has happened - how wonderful it is that the dolphins protected them."

http://w3.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/story.asp?StoryID=65449
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: