SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Heart of Redness"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: "Heart of Redness" Reply with quote

Truly one of the more humorous offerings I've yet stumbled upon in the blogosphere. A hilarious spoof by David Berge (Iowahawk) of David Von Drehle's Sun. Jan 16 column in the Washington Post, "The Red Sea" .

Quote:
DAY ONE: BASE CAMP, IOWA CITY

Mission: bring back Von Drehle.

The words echo in my mind as I peer out the frost-framed window of 'Pretense,' a moderately priced new-American bistro on the edge of campus. My eyes follow clusters of students, shoulders hunched against the cold, criss-crossing the snowy Pentacrest like the exasperating strokes of a de Koonig canvas.

We all have a mission, I thought. For those faceless students: diversity seminars, Nam Jun Paik film retrospectives at the Union, maybe Dollar Pitcher Nite at the Airliner. For me: Von Drehle.

It - or rather, he - is the mission that has brought me to this dismal and lonely outpost on the edge of reason. Tomorrow I will make the dangerous trek north on Dubuque Street to Exit 242, merge into the river of semi-trailers on Interstate 80, and head west into the great red unknown between here and Boulder.

It is the same route Von Drehle followed before he went missing: I-80 to Nebraska, then south on highway 77 through Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. Ironically the Post had sent Von Drehle on his own mysterious mission - to learn why the natives were suddenly agitating against Post subscription offers. He went missing on January 11, emailing his final story draft with a cryptic personal note: "the horror... the horror."

Iowahawk - cont'd
USS Endicott
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I only made it through to Kansas, but that was a funny article.

Even in the 40's there was a belief that the Red states were lawless and full of dumb rednecks, hillbillys, and primitives. Back in the 40's, my Mom went with friends to New York. When people there heard that she was from Indiana they asked all sorts of questions about the Indian problems and attacks and what the Indians looked like.

In the 90's, a co-worker of mine, who was born in California, was extremely nervous about a planned trip to New Orleans and the deep South. She had grown up on stories of the rednecks and bigots of the South and worried about being dragged off by the KKK. After she returned, she was amazed at how nice everyone she met was.

A few years later, I went with friends to New Orleans. While driving from the plantations back to the city, I got off of the interstate and drove along the road near the river to get a better feel of the area. My friend was scared and wanted me to speed through all of the little towns so that the natives there didn't hurt us. I was dumbfounded to find that he thought that all of those townsfolk were going to rise up and kill us.

Maybe these people who are scared of the Red States should venture out of their own neighborhoods more often and see America. This is the challenge I hear from them all of the time regarding Red Staters and international travel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: