SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry calls for 40,000 new troops,help for military families

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Kerry calls for 40,000 new troops,help for military families Reply with quote

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050214/APN/502140886&cachetime=3&template=dateline

The Associated Press

February 14, 2005

Sen. John Kerry called for tens of thousands of new U.S. troops on Monday and said the country should adopt a series of initiatives to support military families.

Kerry said he plans to file legislation to increase the size of the military by 40,000 - 30,000 in the Army and 10,000 in the Marines - to help support the country's efforts in Iraq and the larger war on terrorism.

He also said the country needs to do more to help families of those serving in the military, from boosting death benefits to extending psychiatric care to veterans returning from Iraq.

"The war in Iraq proved that a lightning-fast, high-tech force can smash an opposing army and drive to Baghdad in three weeks. But there is no substitute for a well-trained and equipped infantry to win the peace," Kerry said in remarks delivered Monday at an annual ceremony sponsored by the Telegram & Gazette of Worcester.

One program being pushed by Kerry would allow families of veterans killed in combat to remain in military housing for up to year. Currently, families must move out of the housing after 180 days.

The Massachusetts Democrat also said the country needs to do more to support businesses whose employees are called up for service. He is pushing a small business tax credit for businesses who make up the difference in lost wages for reservists.

Other recommendations include:

- Extending military health insurance for all members of the National Guard and Reserve, whether mobilized or not;

- Expanding post-traumatic stress disorder services to all veterans who need them;

- Boosting to $500,000 the amount of money a family can receive if a loved one is killed in service;

- Creating a line on federal tax forms to allow contributions to a fund to help wounded veterans.

"Our obligation is to keep faith with the men and women of the American military and their families," Kerry said.

Kerry also used the speech to renew his criticism of the Bush administration, saying it underestimated the level of resistance facing the military after it toppled Saddam Hussein.

Kerry has made some of the same recommendations in the past. During his campaign for president, Kerry also called for an increase in troops, saying the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan had strained the military.
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Kerry calls for 40,000 new troops,help for military fami Reply with quote

"But there is no substitute for a well-trained and equipped infantry to win the peace,"

I guess since he had himself filmed in VN trying to be a "Grunt" he is now an expert? Sc**w Him! Looks like he is definitely jumping on the bandwagon of all the popular issues. Folks, I think we've got to go ahead and knock him on out, he hasn't thrown in the towel yet. He sure is pandering to the active military and veterans. Still an opportunist. As I sent word to him before the election, and do so again now, JFgK can just kiss me my A$$! Bring it on Johnny boy!

William Page
1st Cav Div. (AM) RVN '71-'72
3rd Bde (Separate)
B Co 2/5th Cav & D Co 1/12th Cav
Good men died, while Kerry lied!

Edit: Better qualify my words "knock him on out". I am speaking of exposing his lies and deceit. Don't want the feds thinking I'm gonna do something crazy. Actually JFgK is his own worst enemy!
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is Kerry to have any voice when it comes to matters of our military? Mr. Kerry just shut the he!! up.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wpage wrote:
...He sure is pandering to the active military and veterans....

Yup. That's his style. Much of the problem is the younger men don't know all the truth, if anything at all, about Silky Pony. They're tough alright but still impressionable. We need to encourage the media to continue exposing his past and publish it where our troops will see it. Of course, the same information needs to be provided some of our older Veterans too. If we can equip our 26 million Veterans with the truth and get them to the booths in 2008, Silky will easily be defeated. Hopefully the progressives, like cockroaches, will fear the bright light and nominate someone else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: