SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dan Rather just reported marine will NOT be charged

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Dan Rather just reported marine will NOT be charged Reply with quote

Dan Rather (this channel was honestly on my TV by accident Cool ) just reported that the Marine will not be charged in the incident a few months back where they went into the Iraqi insurgent's hideout and shot the unarmed Iraqi on film. Us Military stated lack of evidence to file any charges..

Update: I found it on CBSnews.com (nowhere else yet)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/23/eveningnews/main676101.shtml

Quote:
Justified Shooting?

Feb. 23, 2005

(CBS) It was a striking -- some said chilling -- moment in the battle for Iraq, captured on videotape: a wounded, un-armed Iraqi, shot to death by a U.S. Marine.

CBS News has learned that military investigators conclude there is not enough evidence to formally charge that Marine.

As CBS News Correspondent Kimberly Dozier reports, it happened during the bloody fight for Fallujah last fall. The Marines were engaged in bitter house-to-house combat with dug-in enemy fighters.

When Marines ran into a mosque seeking the source of insurgent fire, they found several Iraqis wrapped in blankets.

One Marine thought he saw one of them move.

Marine: "He's F***ing faking he's dead."

Second Marine: "And he's breathing."

Marine: "He's faking he's f***ing dead!"

Navy investigators have concluded what happened next may have been justified in the heat of battle.

In a moment too graphic to show, one of the Americans fired.

"He's dead now."

The insurgents, it turned out, were unarmed -- but investigators say the Iraqi the Marine thought he saw moving could have been going for a weapon. At the very least, Navy legal experts believe the situation is ambiguous enough that no prosecutor could get a conviction.

The original video added to popular anger over the Fallujah crackdown. Many Iraqis felt Fallujah's unarmed civilians bore the brunt of the U.S. campaign.

Hundreds of homes were destroyed in the battle, and months later, much of the city is still without power or water. Many Fallujans live in makeshift refugee camps far from their homes.

When news breaks that the Marine will not be prosecuted, it will not go over well here.

It's now up to Marine commanders to decide what, if any internal action to take against the Marine. And investigators are still conducting ballistics tests to determine how the other insurgents in the mosque were killed.

©MMV, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited by Rdtf on Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
oasis
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm glad to hear this..

My comments posted on this story are located

HERE

Justified Shooting?

Quote:
When news breaks that the Marine will not be prosecuted, it will not go over well here.

It's now up to Marine commanders to decide what, if any internal action to take against the Marine. And investigators are still conducting ballistics tests to determine how the other insurgents in the mosque were killed.

Please donate to the.. RED CROSS

Last edited by oasis on Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great news. Now we have one Good Marine Lt. to get cleared of the ridiculous charges he has been brought up on.
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God. I do hope his commanding officer(s) use their good judgement and not punish this Marine in any way. He has suffered enough for doing something that most anyone put in that position would do.

1st Cav. RVN '71-'72
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news. Perhaps we are turning the corner from form acting out of an ill logical PC perspective to a common sense mentality.

Is their another source besides CBS and Rather to support this ruling? Laughing

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that he's been cleared, the Marine Corps should pin a large medal on him just to restore any potentially lost self-confidence. BTW, anyone else find it ironic that Dan-the-Marine broke this story?
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Poole wrote:
anyone else find it ironic that Dan-the-Marine broke this story?

Hi Tom, Didn't you notice my Laughing comment?

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! In my haste this a.m., I missed it. I've been busy and haven't kept up so I read the article and jumped to reply. A thousand pardons. Embarassed
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted this in another thread because of the terrorist/Syrian subject, but note the last paragraph
http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18514

http://insider.washingtontimes.com/articles/normal.php?StoryID=20050224-122354-9877r

Quote:
Separately, CBS News reported last night that investigators have decided not to charge a U.S. Marine who was filmed killing a wounded Iraqi during the November assault on Fallujah, citing a lack of evidence.
But a Marine spokesman last night said the case "is still very much open."
The shooting occurred during a search of a mosque and was condemned by human rights groups, but investigators said the Marines thought the wounded Iraqi might have been reaching for a weapon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: