SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Social Security event in Las Vegas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Social Security event in Las Vegas Reply with quote

Congresswoman Shelley Berkley will host a town hall forum on Social Security for concerned southern Nevada residents on Tuesday, March 29, from 2:00 until 3:00 p.m. in the lecture hall of the West Charleston Library. The event is free and all are welcome to attend.

Berkley will be joined at the forum by U.S. Congressman John Spratt, Ranking Member of the House Budget Committee. The pair will discuss the financial risks of the President’s plan to partially privatize Social Security, provide information to participants about how the proposal will impact their retirement, and answer questions from the audience.

"This is an issue that is as important for young workers and new parents as it is for our seniors and those nearing retirement," Berkley said. "Congressman Spratt is the top Democrat on the House Budget Committee and he will lend his expertise from that role to our discussion about the financial impacts of the Bush proposal to partially privatize Social Security."

I wonder how much truth they will give??

I am trying to get time off to attend and I'll sit right up front, with the real information to dispute their claims. Show them that even Clinton said there was problems.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - I know that wasn't meant to be funny, but when I read the subject line I had to laugh - has anyone ever been to Atlantic City? Then you must know why I am having a giggle. Very different atmosphere than Vegas...senior citizens take the bus trips on the weekends and spend their social security checks on the slots.
Laughing
Sailor in the Desert
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. I too, will try and attend.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:
Ok - I know that wasn't meant to be funny, but when I read the subject line I had to laugh - has anyone ever been to Atlantic City? Then you must know why I am having a giggle. Very different atmosphere than Vegas...senior citizens take the bus trips on the weekends and spend their social security checks on the slots.
Laughing

Most of the traffic on the Garden State parkway consists of tour busses carying them South from NYC on their excursions
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Social Security event in Las Vegas Reply with quote

Quote:
Congressman Spratt is the top Democrat on the House Budget Committee and he will lend his expertise from that role to our discussion about the financial impacts of the Bush proposal to partially privatize Social Security."

What qualifies Spratt as an expert?? Shocked Shocked I question the notion that being elected to Congress makes you an expert on anything unless it can be demonstrated to be so. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes As for proposals, there are none yet. Privitization is out there and has been shown to work, but no proposals as such have even been presented. How is this expert going to discuss something that is only an idea at this time.
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE REPUBLICAN OR DEMOCRAT!

2008 Election Issue!!

GET A BILL STARTED TO PLACE ALL POLITICIANS ON SOC. SEC.

----------------------------------
SOCIAL SECURITY:
(This is worth reading. It is short and to the point.)

Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions during election years.

Our Senators and Congresspersons do not pay into Social Security and, of course, they do not collect from it.

You see, Social Security benefits were not suitable for persons of their rare elevation in society. They felt they should have a special plan for themselves. So, many years ago they voted in their own benefit plan .

In more recent years, no congressperson has felt the need to change it. After all, it is a great plan.

For all practical purposes their plan works like this:
When they retire, they continue to draw the same pay until they die.

Except it may increase from time to time for cost of living adjustments..

This is calculated on an average life span for each of those two Dignitaries. For example, Senator Byrd and Congressman White and their wives may expect to draw $7,800,000.00 (that's Seven Million, Eight-Hundred Thousand Dollars), with their wives drawing $275,000.00 during the last years of their lives.

Younger Dignitaries who retire at an early age, will receive much more during the rest of their lives.

Their cost for this excellent plan is $0.00. NADA....ZILCH...

This little perk they voted for themselves is free to them. You and I pick up the tab for this plan. The funds for this fine retirement plan come directly from the General Funds;

"OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK"!

From our own Social Security Plan, which you and I pay (or have paid) into,-every payday until we retire (which amount is matched by our employer)-we can expect to get an average of $1,000 per month after retirement.

Or, in other words, we would have to collect our average of $1,000 monthly benefits for 68 years and one (1) month to equal Senator! Bill Bradley's benefits!

Social Security could be very good if only one small change were made.

That change would be to:
Jerk the Golden Fleece Retirement Plan from under the Senators and Congressmen. Put them into the Social Security plan with the rest of us
then sit back.....
and watch how fast they would fix it.

If enough people read this, maybe a seed of awareness will be planted and maybe good changes will evolve.

God Bless America
GM Strong

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll posit one better. No public funded pension. The original idea was that these guys would be part time citizen legislators and not professionals on the public dole. The idea was after serving a few terms they would retire to their real lives and fortunes. Slugs like Kennedy, sKerry and Byrd who never had real jobs were never meant to be. Lets add Snarlin' Arlen Specter to that as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: