SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vets & ACDU Only - Muster Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Home MasterBlaster and Thank You For Your Service!

Ron, me and my dog were those dark shapes you saw on the base perimeter at night. I didn't mind the F-4's, but I hated the Thuds when they took off. When the kicked in that afterburner on takeoff, every time it scared the heck out of me and my dog. In a whole year, I never got used to them.

Still, all in all, I'd have much rather be out in the boonies on a K9 post on the base perimeter, the 24 overrun, the fuel depot, and the MSA than to have been in one of those planes. Very Happy

War Woof!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
masterblaster
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Vets Only Please Reply with quote

War Dog: We were working the tri-service storage area at Tango-1. I remember them telling me about the K-9 guy who had his foot blown off during the first explosion, that August night. He hobbled his way out of the area on his own while 500,000 pounds of explosives exploded around him. He made it all the way to the beach before dawn. What guts! I also will never forget the 105's that fired every half hour throughout the night. You just got used to the noise. That was Operation Big Blow IV. It is difficult for someone to understand what it was like to be there, if they didn't experience it themselves. Take care. Masterblaster.
Steeldoc
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Duty, Honor, Country Reply with quote

Served 23 years in the US Army. Began as a pvt in 69 and retired as a CW3 in 1992. Spent my career as a medic, lab tech and finally became a Physician Assistant (PA) in 1982. (PA's used to be warrant officers, they are now regular commissioned officers in all services.) Spent one tour in RVN in Pleiku which was cut short when I wound up getting medevac'd to Danang, the Phillipines, and finally Madigan Army Hospital. I was not any kind of war hero and quite frankly was as scared as the next fellow. I loved the army and fervently believe in "Duty-Honor-Country". I only retired when I became disabled and no longer could serve my country fully. I am now practicing family medicine in a faith based rural health clinic in central texas and living in a tiny town of 876. Our first football game of this year is in Crawford! We are so far away from the other team playing that we agreed to meet halfway... in Crawford. Regarding my screen name... steeldoc: One of my passions is playing pedal steel guitar while the other is medicine.
floridanavyvet
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently retired from the Navy as a Master Chief. Spent 24 years total and enjoyed 5 years of that floating the 7 seas on carriers. Participated in Desert Shield/Storm onboard the USS America CV-66, Southern Watch USS America and USS John F. Kennedy CV-67. Supported our troops in Kosovo from the deck of the USS Rossevelt CVN-71. Operation Iraqi Freedom from onboard the USS Harry S. Truman CVN-75.

My entire family was military. My dad served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam retired with 30. Two of my brothers also served and retired from the Navy. One with 30 the other with 20.

Glad I found the page. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
jdog
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vietnam veteran - Pleiku 1967-68. Stilll puking after seeing a photo of the phony saluting and saying, "I am John Kerry and am reporting for duty." What a load of crap.

That creep came running home with his bandaids still on his "wounds" and proceded to betray all of his brothers. This man is lower than a snake's belly.

Now shall I tell you just how I feel about the dream ticket?
DAP48
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coast Guard 67 thru 74. Did not serve in Nam. Served on USCGC Hamilton, USCGC Yakutat and USCGC Campbell pulling Ocean Station duty in the North Atlantic. Also stationed at Communication Station Boston (NMF)

Will support your organization anyway I can.......keep up the good work.

Dennis
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard to all our new folks!

We're glad to have you with us and thank you for joining the bulletin board. Smile
GerryRM3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, A friend of mine who was Air Force SS in Nam sent your web address to me so I thought I'de see what was going on.
Gerry Surette USN 1963-1967
Great lakes,
USS Saratoga,
Bainbridge, MD for radio A school,
Navcomsta Balboa Panama Canal Zone,
USS Davis DD937 (rescue crew for USS Liberty)

I've heard some good things about this site so keep it up.
Tks
J.R.
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'am J.R. Morgan...I'am not sure how to work these things.
Marine corps from 1966 to 1969, nam from 1967 to 1968. I was in Phu Bai, 10 miles south of Hue, for the Tet '68 party.
Excellent web site!
Cam Ranh '71
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reintroduction Reply with quote

I was AF, arriving at Cam Ranh Bay in Sept '71 and during Vietnamization was transferred to NKP Thailand in May '72. Vietnamization meant turning the base perimeter over to Vietnamese, meaning we had more "incoming".

I was with the 483rd USAF Hospital as an RN. My claim to fame, if you can call it that, was a proud member of the SEA Golden Flow program. Drug ward, if you will. Staff, not as a patient! Any positive urine tests, then you came to us before Medovac'd to the Philipines, then CONUS. It was not as mundane as you think.

I always felt a bit guility not being in combat, but someone has to be in support roles.

I did have a few 3-day weekends in both Saigon and Bangkok.
My SEA tour was sandwiched BETWEEN Kerry's Congressional "testimony" in April '71 and Hanoi Jane's Hanoi holiday in June '72.

Glad to be a part of THE common goal of preventing Kerry as CIC!!

I have a now friend as a 7 1/2 year POW to the north.

Chip in PA

Remember: "Thinking is the best way to travel!"
Ozzy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fellow vets

I served in the Army from 84 to 90. ( Was called back to duty for desert storm, as an IRR in 91 )
Did Basic and AIT at Ft. Dix N.J.,64C, Motor Transport Operator ( truck driver, it is now called 88M )
Served in the 568th Engineer Co. (CSE) in Hanau, W. Germany
for 18 months, then served in the Defense Courier Service at Ft. Meade Md. for three years ( joint service w/ the Air force and Navy )
Recieved a Western Union telegram, about a week or so after the bombing of Baghdad had started, telling me to report to Ft. Eustis Va.
About 2 weeks later I was in Saudi Arabia. From there I was placed in a National Guard Unit from Ft. Bragg N.C. (1454th Trans. Co., 7th Trans. Bn.) In support of the 18th Airborne Corps. We had a huge convoy that rolled into Iraq during the ground campaign, but we didn't get fired apon
due to the great job that our fighting troops did. Howwever, we did see an eyefull of the carnage.
I feel for my brothers ( and sisters ) that are over there now.
All of my praise goes to the troops, not ANY politician.
And especially not bush and co. I view him as a chickenhawk who all too quickly
put our troops in a situation that is unfavorable all the way around.
masterblaster
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Cam Rahn 71 Reply with quote

Chip, PA: The EOD team was quartered next to the hospital in the q-huts. We worked from 05:00 hours to 21:00 hours every day. We had to clear your program prior to leaving. I think I still have my certificate. One guy had "bashful kidneys" and was held over for several days! The team drank a lot of beer and Jim Beam during the course of our employment. Don't know how we ever made it on four hours sleep. We rebuilt a battle-damaged M-48A3 tank to use in the storage area. Named it BAT-1 (Bad ass tank). Cam Rahn is a long way from Cape Canaveral. I only speak of my time there with fellow vets. John Kerry gives me the creeps! Masterblaster.
panther1505
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: OFFICIALLY CHECKING IN Reply with quote

Hello,
I have finally found the right place, and I am OFFICIALLY CHECKING IN.
My name is Mike Davis. I served in the Army from 1980 to 1983. I was in the 82nd Airborne Division, 1/505th Airborne Infantry.
CSC 1/505th Airborne Infantry
1980 - 1983
Tower Guy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking in USN 1959 1965 AC5 served aboard USS Ranger CVA 61 '59 - '61 NOTS China Lake '61 '65.
Navy Vet.
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlisted US Navy 1972-1976 while still in college. I was an MU-3, yes, musician. I played in the Navy Band and was stationed in Norfolk, Gitmo and the 8th Naval District, N.O. LA. I will be first to admit that I wasn't a combat sailor, but I served my country when others were burning draft cards. I sincerely thank you for your service to our country and hope you will allow me to participate. I am an executive officer in a publicly traded company today and married for 28 years with three sons - ages 16, 21 and 23.

Thank you for your service to our country
USN 06 Sept 72 - 21 Sept. 76
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 9 of 47

Jump to: