SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tillman's Parents Are Critical Of Army

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Tillman's Parents Are Critical Of Army Reply with quote

This is so sad.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/22/AR2005052200865_pf.html
Quote:
Patrick Tillman Sr., a San Jose lawyer, said he is furious about what he found in the volumes of witness statements and investigative documents the Army has given to the family. He decried what he calls a "botched homicide investigation" and blames high-ranking Army officers for presenting "outright lies" to the family and to the public.

I can't begin to imagine the pain and loss that this father is feeling , but "homicide"????
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking of this and will not question his parents in any way for the simple reason that Pat symbolized the ultimate self-less warrior in defense of his country. Pat is a true rarity and the military probably took advantage of it and rather then be truthful from the start, took advantage of his idealistic love of America. It really sickens me when politics encroach on the soldier who is pure of heart. I think often of his Silver Star and how he would think. I bet Pat would be pissed at receiving a Silver Star, rather then the army looking at the break down and how better to learn from the mistake.

IMHO, Pat Tillman deserves a Medal of Honor not for actions on the battle field, but in recognition of his sacrifice so many were unwilling to take. He is a rare warrior who shows the weakness in the culturally decadent. His family should always be proud and realize that no matter how the military portrays his death, many people will always remember him as a great out-lier. A star who gave up everything for the love of something other then himself.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of the situation, IMO Pat would be embarrassed and upset that his father is speaking out in that way.
roughfun
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Tillman Reply with quote

There are 1,000s of Tillmans still serving in our armed forces. They may not have the fame, goodlooks and natural ability but each in their own way is doing their part. Friendly fire is more common in my experiance than the military would like to let on. He died fighting and it should of been left at that. Semper Fi.
NYCnative
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt he deserved the Silver Star. He was in a fire fight and killed by friendly fire. That doesn't mean what he was trying to do prior to being killed wasn't worthy of the medal.

I realize the parents have a right to be furious, but they way the father talked how the govt and the fact that the recruiting to go to hell if the public knew the truth is over the top. The military knew the truth would have to be told, I suppose they just wanted to cross T's and dot I's before they approached them with the facts. Sometimes they don't act as quickly as they should on letting information out. I suppose there was a full investigation that most likely shouldn't have taken so long.

I wonder if the parents were against the war from the beginning. It sounded to me a little like (not as bad as) Nick Berg's father.

"Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof." -Inscription on the Liberty Bell
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roughfun said
Quote:
There are 1,000s of Tillmans still serving in our armed forces. They may not have the fame, goodlooks and natural ability but each in their own way is doing their part. Friendly fire is more common in my experiance than the military would like to let on. He died fighting and it should of been left at that. Semper Fi.

WELL SAID!!
I couldn't agree more.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story has been out for quite a while with little notice. Suddenly as the MSM needs something to take the heat of Newsweek and put it back on the Army, WHAMO!, it now a top story. There is an institution to protect after all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: