SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clinton: Felt did right thing in Watergate affair.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Clinton: Felt did right thing in Watergate affair. Reply with quote

SUCH A BLEEPING HYPOCRITE!!
How about some FBI leaks on the Clintons. Would that be the 'right thing'??
Quote:
Clinton: Felt did right thing in Watergate affair
Thursday, June 2, 2005 Posted: 9:13 AM EDT (1313 GMT)

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Former FBI official Mark Felt "did the right thing" by leaking information to The Washington Post that helped lead to President Nixon resignation's in the Watergate scandal in 1974, former President Clinton said.

"I think he did a good thing, and I think it was unusual circumstances," Clinton said Wednesday on CNN's "Larry King Live."

Felt, once the No. 2 official at the FBI, was "Deep Throat," the secret source for Washington Post reporters in the aftermath of the bungled 1972 break-in at the Democratic Party offices in the Watergate complex.

His identity remained unknown to the public for more than 30 years -- one of the best-kept secrets in the history of journalism. (Full story)

"I think Felt believed that there was a chance that this thing would be covered up," Clinton said, referring to the break-in and Nixon administration's cover-up. "Ordinarily, I think a law enforcement official shouldn't leak to the press because you should let criminal action take its course.

"But there was some reason to believe he was right. He always felt ambivalent about it apparently, and I think that's good," the former president said. "Under these circumstances he did the right thing."

Clinton also said he had no problem with Felt, 91, coming forward today.

Clinton said he had long felt it likely that "Deep Throat" was someone who worked in the "executive office complex. I really had no idea."

In the Wednesday night interview, Clinton also discussed the impact of religious groups on politics, his humanitarian projects and his relationship with former President George H.W. Bush.

When asked whether the Christian conservative movement -- which makes up much of President Bush's political base -- concerns him, Clinton replied: "I think they should be worried about it. Because I think whenever religious people try to exercise political power in God's name, and to say that they have the whole truth and they can impose it ... that's always hazardous.

"Our country is the most religious, big country on Earth, with more different faiths flourishing and more regular observance because we haven't had a state religion," he said. "And we haven't had politics as religion. And we haven't had politicians claiming to be in possession of the whole truth."

But religious influence in politics comes and goes, Clinton added.

He admitted that Democrats often are uncomfortable with discussions of the moral dilemmas many religious people feel. "And so we have ceded the ground of too many voters to the religious right," he said. "But that's our fault. We should engage in this debate."

Clinton said he is committed to the humanitarian projects he directs, including assessing the needs of the tsunami-ravaged region of southern Asia for the United Nations. He just returned from Indonesia's Aceh province, Sri Lanka and India.

The Democrat explained the nature of his relationship with the elder Bush, whom he defeated in 1992. The former GOP president appeared Tuesday on "Larry King Live." (Full story)

"I've always liked him. I've always admired him. I mean, he gave his life to public service. He comes from a family who did. His father was a distinguished senator from Connecticut," Clinton said.

"And so I share an interest in public service. He likes sports. I like sports. He likes people. And I think he's a genuinely good man."

The Bushes have invited Clinton to their family compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, this summer.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/02/clinton/
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill, Does that mean Linda Tripp did the right thing too??

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: WOW! Reply with quote

Clinton has a lot of nerve. After dragging this country through a very public worldwide impeachment process. The world is still tossing about his remarks during "Monicagate", "that depends what IS is." Give me a break. This man did not have enough self-respect, respect for the office of President, or respect for the American people to resign.

I say no matter what you think of Nixon and Watergate, Nixon ad least had the decency to think of the American People and resign.

With all the Clinton bagage, and lets not forget Whitewater, that man has no room to move let alone give an opinion. He blames the msm for his woes...wonder if someone turned him in he would be saying, "It was the right thing to do" yah right Clinton................
Evil or Very Mad
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: WOW! Reply with quote

doll wrote:
Clinton has a lot of nerve. After dragging this country through a very public worldwide impeachment process. The world is still tossing about his remarks during "Monicagate", "that depends what IS is." Give me a break. This man did not have enough self-respect, respect for the office of President, or respect for the American people to resign.

I say no matter what you think of Nixon and Watergate, Nixon ad least had the decency to think of the American People and resign.

With all the Clinton bagage, and lets not forget Whitewater, that man has no room to move let alone give an opinion. He blames the msm for his woes...wonder if someone turned him in he would be saying, "It was the right thing to do" yah right Clinton................
Evil or Very Mad

You have captured my feelings succulently. Klinton is the trash that Carville called others. I'll never forget the photo of him wearing an army field jacket in Moscow during the VN war and his draft dodging days.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it odd that if someone blows the whistle on a Republican, truth or not, they are a hero? Yet, if someone blows the whistle on a Democrat, then they are either Trailer Park Trash or Liars.

No double standard there, Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Isn't it odd that if someone blows the whistle on a Republican, truth or not, they are a hero? Yet, if someone blows the whistle on a Democrat, then they are either Trailer Park Trash or Liars.

No double standard there, Rolling Eyes

Of course, that is the way they see it...sick as it is. I was a teen during Watergate, but I remember being shocked how the media back then hounded Nixon and badgered the republicans. Hence, they had their chance with good old Jimmy, but he blew it and they have been blowing it ever since.....but you all know right? It is our fault! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back then the House and Senate were both overwhelmingly Democrat by wide margins. Not so anymore and they haven't figured it out. Seems like some of the Republicans haven't either.
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clinton making judgements on what is right or wrong is like babysitting advice from Michael Jackson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: