SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st tour in 'Nam aboard GRINDLEY DDG-21
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butch
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Tour in Vietnam....Sort of. Reply with quote

When people ask me if I did a tour in Vietnam I generally say "sort of". I arrived in Nam in July of 67 and joined Bravo 1/4 3rd MarDiv as their "Doc". About the 1st of Oct 67 I got a promotion to H&S Co. and hopefully not as many patrols. Ya right. On Friday the 13th of Oct 67 on patrol, I stepped on a booby trapped gernade and got MedEvaced to Dong Ha. After surgery, I was flown to Da Nang (nice safe area) for more surgeries and rest. It wasn't any fun being thrown on a stretcher with a full leg cast when there was "incoming. A month goes by and I was then flown to the Cam Ran Bay military hospital. Couple more weeks there then on to Guam. I was in country from July 67 to middle of December 67 before leaving for Guam.

April of 68 my wounds were well enough to send me back to Nam (only Corpsman got sent back after serious injuries) for limited duty with the 3rd Shore Party Bn in Quang Tri. No patrols this time because of my limp and weak foot. Just a lot of Sick Bay duties and supervising of the "burning of the shitters". Nam Vets will know what I'm talking about when I say that. Do you boat guys know about "burning of the shitters"?. I left Vietnam in July of 68. That makes about 8 1/2 months incountry.

So....did I have a tour in Vietnam?......Sort Of.

Guess that is more than Kerry can say.

Very Happy Laughing
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch, I have nothing but respect for you, and what you did and sacrificed for your nation. Your case, and the case of every Vietnam Veteran that was honestly wounded is totally different from that of John Kerry. You did your duty to the best of your ability, and have nothing at all to be ashamed for or to apologize for.

To you sir, I SALUTE YOU!!!!

War Woof!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
Butch
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

War Dog....Thanks.

This doesn't really relate to the topic at hand but I just want to tell War Dog that I loved being in Nam with the dogs. They really did hear the shots before we did in time to get our heads down.

The scarest thing I had to do was give shots to the dogs periodically when their paws got hurt. They were very nice to me but I knew how wild they could be. It wasn't fun.

Thanks for a job well done.
Bossman50
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Kerry on USS Gridley Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
As I understand it he did less than a full Westpac (6 months) on the Gridley. I'll look it up later and provide the details if someone else doesn't have them immediately available.

The Gridley cruise was from 09 Feb 68 to 27 May 68 with a 1 day stop in Danang. It's interesting that he requested Swift Boat duty after 1 day at sea on the Gridley---10 Feb 68. Seasick??? Laughing Seriously, I wonder what that's all about. He reported aboard on 09 June 67, his first sea duty, and requests a transfer 1 day after leaving Long Beach for the Westpac?

Source: Timeline-"Tour of Duty", Douglas Brinkley.

Having been on a few ships in my time...... I see it like this, as a junior officer onboard ship, it is expected the only time he is to be seen in the Wardroom is for a Quick bite to eat. Shocked No sitting around shooting the breeze, watching a movie, or what ever. The command expects him to become qualified in all faucets of the ship. Kerry figured out real quick, he was just going to fade into the routine of shipboard life as a nobody. He had to get off the Gridley to persue his big plan..........

My .02 worth
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Butch! I'm just an old ground pounding puppy pusher and ex-squid. But in my heart, my AF years with my dogs mean more to me than the whole 16 in the Navy.

Loved them puppies!

Friggin' War Woof!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
Mark
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Kerry Vietnam Gridley "tour" Reply with quote

While I would agree that Vietnam shipboard tours don't compare to grunts on the ground, the fact is Navy ships even just supporting Vietnam OPS were considered to be on Vietnam tours and were entitled to combat pay, income tax breaks, the VSM, etc. so dinging Kerry for claiming a Vietnam tour on Gridley is pointless. (and she was GRIDLEY CG-21; I was her OPS officer '74-75 when she was PIRAZ for the Saigon evacuation and qualified for the VSM) Moreover, the discussion about Navy Vietnam operations ignores 24/7 boarding and search Market Time ops just offshore, often working with Swifts (did that too).
My opinion that Kerry criticism should focus on the character reflected in medal-hunting, shhoting movies for future resume use, scooting after 2-3 SCRATCHES, and either commiting atrocities or failing to report/stop them. Shocked
stevieboy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My opinion that Kerry criticism should focus on the character reflected in medal-hunting, shhoting movies for future resume use, scooting after 2-3 SCRATCHES, and either commiting atrocities or failing to report/stop them.

The trouble is Captain, the "first tour" is just another phony medal. My guess is time aboard GRIDLEY while John Kerry was aboard for his WESTPAC was MUCH LESS DANGEROUS than say - flying a F-102 for the Texas Air National Guard? I wonder when we will see the videos and medal collection from the "first tour". Where is that Band of Brothers? You would have to witness the manner in which he said it during the primaries to understand my obession with it, I guess. I pledge that I will find a sound clip of it, then you can judge for yourself.

The use of the phrase "two tours" is still on Kerry's web site on a press release "‘Easy Company’ Veteran to Accompany Kerry to WWII Memorial Opening" and also refered to in his book A Call to Service.

You are correct that there are faults a plenty with my junior senator. I'll agree to disagree with you on the finer points of the "first tour" issue.

I respect your resume, I am very appreciative of your service. Fair winds ...
Spiess
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevieboy wrote:
I think it's a little sicker than than seasickness ASPB. The Swiftboat thing is all about being JFK! PT 109 = Swift 94. John Forbes Kerry = John Fitzgerald Kennedy. It was a high risk gamble he had to do to punch the tickets he needed to be his idol. Like your site says, he got the medals and the film footage, check-in-the-box, no sense hangin' around.

In any event, I still think the world should know how really tough that "1st tour" was. Do any GRIDLEY sailors post on this site?

Yeah and if hes elected we will have another bay of pigs.
stylin19
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Near as i can figure, Kerry's Fitness reports from the Gridley show:

Kerry was assigned to the Gridley from 6/67-7/68.

Only the following periods could probably be considered "in-country"

WestPac Combat OPS - Feb 19-Mar 22 1968
Gulf of Tonkin - March 23-27 1968
Gulf of Tonkin - April 1-May 5 1968
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: