SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

George Elliot changes position on "Silver Star"

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: George Elliot changes position on "Silver Star" Reply with quote

Breaking now...

Let's all take a deep breath and read this carefully before responding.

Quote:
Veteran retracts criticism of Kerry
By Michael Kranish, Globe Staff
August 6, 2004

WASHINGTON -- A week after Senator John F. Kerry heralded his wartime experience by surrounding himself at the Democratic convention with his Vietnam ''Band of Brothers," a separate group of veterans has launched a television ad campaign and a book that questions the basis for some of Kerry's combat medals.

But yesterday, a key figure in the anti-Kerry campaign, Kerry's former commanding officer, backed off one of the key contentions. Lieutenant Commander George Elliott said in an interview that he had made a ''terrible mistake" in signing an affidavit that suggests Kerry did not deserve the Silver Star -- one of the main allegations in the book. The affidavit was given to The Boston Globe by the anti-Kerry group to justify assertions in their ad and book.

Elliott is quoted as saying that Kerry ''lied about what occurred in Vietnam . . . for example, in connection with his Silver Star, I was never informed that he had simply shot a wounded, fleeing Viet Cong in the back."

The statement refers to an episode in which Kerry killed a Viet Cong soldier who had been carrying a rocket launcher, part of a chain of events that formed the basis of his Silver Star. Over time, some Kerry critics have questioned whether the soldier posed a danger to Kerry's crew. Crew members have said Kerry's actions saved their lives.

Yesterday, reached at his home, Elliott said he regretted signing the affidavit and said he still thinks Kerry deserved the Silver Star.

Boston Globe

The title is almost unconscionably obfuscatory...but what else is new with the media.

It is difficult to imagine the pressure that these guys must be experiencing and the disruption to their lives that John Kerry has, once again, brought to bear.

It will be an interesting day, that's fersure....
justamom
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston Globe

I'm not real good links, but there's the whole article (accessed via Drudge).

Elliott ISN'T retracting everything he said, ONLY his comments regarding the Silver Star. In fact, near the end of the three-page piece he stated clearly that he had "chosen to believe the other men" (i.e., SwiftVets)!
Elliott, in the interview yesterday, said that based on the affidavits of the veterans on other boats, he now thinks his assessment about the Bronze Star and third Purple Heart may have been based on poor information.

Also,
Elliott, asked about the contradiction between his recommendation and his new questioning of Kerry's third Purple Heart, responded, ''It makes me look kind of silly, to be perfectly honest."

But he said: ''I simply have no reason for these guys to be lying, and if they are lying in concert, it is one hell of a conspiracy. So, on the basis of all of the information that has come out, I have chosen to believe the other men. I absolutely do not know first hand."

Bet you don't hear the WHOLE story from any other source, though. They'll take only that little tid-bit that suits them and work it over real good - ya know, those half-truths they're so good at.

Keep at it y'all. I have found new hope now knowing that you guys are out here fighting for us once more! Thanks.

Admin note:

Justa...I took the liberty of amending your link so that the window would format properly.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's odd. I wonder what's behind that?

But, :::shrug::: Mr. Elliott changed his position on Kerry's Silver Star and Dobson changed his position on whether or Kerry is fit for command.

You win one, you lose one. Well, I guess we didn't actually LOSE one, but you know what I mean.

Sad, but that's the way it goes. Sad

Edited to add that it's also occurred to me that these men have chosen to speak the truth. If Mr. Elliott had doubts but kept quiet about them out of loyalty to the group, it would be breaking the first rule of the group... which is to tell the truth.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Headline is a kicker, gotta wonder how many will read the article all the way through to the statement conveniently buried at the end

reaction/comment copied from another forum:
If this is a 'retraction,' then it's a retraction with nuance.
All Elliot seems to be saying is that since he didn't witness the medal-engendering incident himself, he regrets signing an affidavit stating that Kerry 'lied.' Elliot, in the quote above, is still asserting that he chooses to believe the words of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, and not Kerry's version.

carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drudge is now reporting that Elliott has not retracted and is standing firm behind his statements in the ad.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Limbaugh is reading a statement from Elliott that says he DID NOT retract his views - that the article in the Globe misstates his position and he retracts nothing.

He also notes that the author of the Globe article (Kranish) is one of the three "biographers" for the Kerry campaign biography.

Man, someone stepped it, big time, if this is true - but it's Kerry that will be trying to wipe it off his shoes!
McCloud
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX FRI AUG 06, 2004 14:05:38 ET XXXXX

BOSTON GLOBE 'REPORTER' PAID TO WRITE CAMPAIGN BOOK FORWARD WHILE COVERING KERRY

BOSTON GLOBE reporter Mike Kranish made waves on Friday by reporting "a key figure in the anti-Kerry campaign, Kerry's former commanding officer, backed off one of the key contentions."

But Captain George Elliott claims the Kranish article is "extremely inaccurate" and highly misstated his actual views.

Oddly, journalist Kranish has been commissioned to write the forward of the official Kerry-Edwards campaign book -- just as he is covering the campaign in an official capacity as a journalist for the BOSTON GLOBE!

Developing...

-----------------------------------------------------------
Filed By Matt Drudge
Reports are moved when circumstances warrant
http://www.drudgereport.com for updates
(c)DRUDGE REPORT 2004
Not for reproduction without permission of the author
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: