SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State Dept. Memo Gets Scrutiny in Leak Inquiry on C.I.A.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: State Dept. Memo Gets Scrutiny in Leak Inquiry on C.I.A. Reply with quote

Colin Powell ??? or ???
NYT seems to point finger at many possible sources hoping one will stick.

New York Times

State Dept. Memo Gets Scrutiny in Leak Inquiry on C.I.A. Officer

Quote:
~SNIP~

The memorandum was dated June 10, 2003, nearly four weeks before Mr. Wilson wrote an Op-Ed article for The New York Times in which he recounted his mission and accused the administration of twisting intelligence to exaggerate the threat from Iraq. The memorandum was written for Marc Grossman, then the under secretary of state for political affairs, and it referred explicitly to Valerie Wilson as Mr. Wilson's wife, according to a government official who reread the document on Friday.

When Mr. Wilson's Op-Ed article appeared on July 6, 2003, a Sunday, Richard L. Armitage, then deputy secretary of state, called Carl W. Ford Jr., the assistant secretary for intelligence and research, at home, a former State Department official said. Mr. Armitage asked Mr. Ford to send a copy of the memorandum to Mr. Powell, who was preparing to leave for Africa with Mr. Bush, the former official said. Mr. Ford sent it to the White House for transmission to Mr. Powell.

It is not clear who asked for the memorandum,
but in the weeks before it was written, there were several accounts in newspapers about an unnamed former diplomat's trip to Africa seeking intelligence about Iraq's nuclear program. On May 6, 2003, Nicholas D. Kristof, a columnist for The Times, wrote of a "former U.S. ambassador to Africa" who had reported to the C.I.A. and the State Department that reports of Iraq seeking to acquire uranium in Niger were "unequivocally wrong."

The memorandum was prepared at the State Department, relying on notes by an analyst who was involved in meetings in early 2002 to discuss whether to send someone to Africa to investigate allegations that Iraq was pursuing uranium purchases. The C.I.A. was asked by Mr. Cheney's office and the State and Defense Departments to look into the reports.

According to a July 9, 2004, Senate Intelligence Committee report, the notes described a Feb. 19, 2002, meeting at C.I.A. headquarters on whether Mr. Wilson should go to Niger.

The notes, which did not identify Ms. Wilson or her husband by name, said the meeting was "apparently convened by" the wife of a former ambassador "who had the idea to dispatch" him to Niger because of his contacts in the region. Mr. Wilson had been ambassador to Gabon.

The Intelligence Committee report said the former ambassador's wife had a different account of her role, saying she introduced him and left after about three minutes.

The information in the State Department memorandum generally tracked the information Mr. Novak laid out for Mr. Rove in their conversation, according to the account of their exchange provided by the person briefed on what Mr. Rove has told investigators.

But it appears to differ in at least one way, raising questions about whether it was the original source of the material that ultimately made its way to Mr. Novak. In his July 14, 2003, column, Mr. Novak referred to Ms. Wilson as Valerie Plame. The State Department memorandum referred to her as Valerie Wilson, according to the government official who reread it on Friday.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pointed in another thread to a link from 1998 that Wilson himself published or approved to be published online that says his wife's name. I can't believe it's still up. See here:
http://www.leadingauthorities.com/Talent/W/Wilson_Joseph/Wilson_Joseph.doc

State Dept memo or not, like others have pointed out, her name was easy to find if anyone took the time to do a google search. Wilson himself caused folks to wonder just what she did there at the CIA when he reacted the way he did comparing it to Aldrich Ames. This is all on Wilson. Never post your CIA wife's name online, and be smart enough to not react like there is something for us to be concerned about when her identity is revealed. Unless that is what he wanted us to find out... Like I said, this is all on Wilson, and he is going to fall on his own sword.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!

That's quite the resume the creep has, forgive my diction but I intend on precision. The guys a creep.

He has listed as those who speak well of him.... Dan Rather, Sandy Berger, William Cohen and bill clinton..... Funny stuff... his last real job seems to be working for al gore!?

Reading thru all this it looks like the Honorable Rich Armitage and Sec Powell were aware of what a creep he was and dealt with him accordingly. I don't know if there's a relationship but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is why Powell left State with so little ceremony.

Creep=Wilson=Creep

at least he speaks fluent french..... maybe he can start advising Chirac... unless he allready is
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: