SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scotty Beams Up - Another WWII Vet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Scotty Beams Up - Another WWII Vet Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163092,00.html

Beam Me Up Scotty of 'Star Trek' Dead at 85

James Montgomery Doohan died at 5:30 a.m. at his Redmond, Wash., home with his wife of 28 years, Wende, at his side, Los Angeles agent and longtime friend Steve Stevens said. The cause of death was pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease, he said.

The Canadian-born Doohan was enjoying a busy career as a character actor when he auditioned for a role as an engineer in a new space adventure on NBC in 1966. A master of dialects from his early years in radio, he tried seven different accents.

At 19, James escaped the turmoil at home by joining the Canadian army, becoming a lieutenant in artillery. He was among the Canadian forces that landed on Juno Beach on D-Day. "The sea was rough," he recalled. "We were more afraid of drowning than the Germans."

The Canadians crossed a minefield laid for tanks; the soldiers weren't heavy enough to detonate the bombs. At 11:30 that night, he was machine-gunned, taking six hits: one that took off his middle right finger (he managed to hide the missing finger on the screen), four in his leg and one in the chest. Fortunately the chest bullet was stopped by his silver cigarette case.

After the war Doohan on a whim enrolled in a drama class in Toronto. He showed promise and won a two-year scholarship to New York's famed Neighborhood Playhouse, where fellow students included Leslie Nielsen, Tony Randall and Richard Boone.

His commanding presence and booming voice brought him work as a character actor in films and television, both in Canada and the U.S. Oddly, his only other TV series besides "Star Trek" was another space adventure, "Space Command," in 1953.

Farewell, Scotty. Beam me up.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't the media mention the that he was a WWII war hero? All I heard is that he was responsible to follow the beam me up order.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good person and a true hero, in real life and in film.

Farewell, Mr. Scott, may your mission continue where you now go.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
A good person and a true hero, in real life and in film.

Farewell, Mr. Scott, may your mission continue where you now go.

One mission went to Juno Beach on June 6, 1944, a place where many men went and those who came back are honored with those who did not. James Doohan almost didn't. The MSM has a problem with men like this. Mr. Scott was my favorite, but that is my Scots-Irish showing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: