SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A WAKE UP CALL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: A WAKE UP CALL Reply with quote

A wake-up call from Luke's jets

Jun. 23, 2005 12:00 AM

"Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base: Whom do we thank for the morning air show?

Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 a.m., a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune!

Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns' early-bird special?

Any response would be appreciated."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reply is classic, and a testament to the professionalism and heroism of the folks in the armed services. The response:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding "A wake-up call from Luke's jets" (Letters, Thursday):

On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m., a perfectly timed four-ship of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt Jeremy Fresques.
Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day.
At 9 a.m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend.
Based on the letter writer's recount of the flyby, and because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of the president of the United States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured.
A four-ship flyby is a display of respect the Air Force pays to those who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects.
The letter writer asks, "Whom do we thank for the morning air show?"
The 56th Fighter Wing will call for you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives.

Lt. Col. Scott Pleus
CO 63rd Fighter Squadron
Luke Air Force Base

http://www.azcentral.com/specials/pluggedin/articles/0711macpherson0711jets.html
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original letter writer has expressed his shame:

Quote:
An apology from the heart to the airmen of Luke

Jul. 9, 2005 12:00 AM

Regarding "Flyby honoring fallen comrade" Letters, June 28 ):

I read with increasing embarrassment and humility the response to my unfortunate letter to The Republic concerning an Air Force flyby ("A wake-up call from Luke's jets," Letters, June 23).

I had no idea of the significance of the flyby, and would never have insulted such a fine and respectful display had I known.

I have received many calls from the fine airmen who are serving or have served at Luke, and I have attempted to explain my side and apologized for any discomfort my letter has caused.

This was simply an uninformed citizen complaining about noise.

I have been made aware in both written and verbal communications of the four-ship flyby, and my heart goes out to each and every lost serviceman and woman in this war in which we are engaged.

I have been called un-American by an unknown caller and I feel that I must address that. I served in the U.S. Navy and am a Vietnam veteran. I love my country and respect the jobs that the service organizations are doing.

Please accept my heartfelt apologies

C-130 Son
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick question posed out of ignorance on my part:

If this person is a Navy Vietnam Vet, how is it he doesn't even know about the significance of the Flyby? Has he never been to a funeral of a fallen soldier? Something doesn't make sense to me.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSM and local media had informed nobody. Negligence in the extreme.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been made aware in both written and verbal communications of the four-ship flyby, and my heart goes out to each and every lost serviceman and woman in this war in which we are engaged.

I have been called un-American by an unknown caller and I feel that I must address that. I served in the U.S. Navy and am a Vietnam veteran. I love my country and respect the jobs that the service organizations are doing.

Please accept my heartfelt apologies.

If he was truly sincere he would of just left it at I am an ignorant dumbshit please forgive me, but he had to redress someone correctly questioning his patriotism.

Personally, from a standpoint of having just left Pensacola, FL after a 7 month visit the Blue Angels never bothered me or anyone else I met. I asked someone if they ever got tired of watching them and the reply was "your not American if you can ever tire of watching those jets" and I agree. I stayed in a house off highway 90 and Blue Angel Rd. and some mornings when they would be doing practice at around 8am they would be doing their routine and 4 would come screaming by northwest to southeast in front of the crowd and my house was where the crowd was and as such right after that flyby a 5th would come really low north to south brushing the roof tops. Loud yes, but worth every free cent of it.

Edit: I think they worked off a quadrant basis to not bother the same people in the morning as their practice area changed.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can have a full career in the Navy and never see air op's. Six months at P'cola I never saw the Blue Angels. Of course I was in class at 8 am and on holidays the Angels went on the road.

My first trip to Orlando SAC shared the base and B52s and B58s lined the tarmac. I remember marveling at all the con' trails when Nixon went to DefCon3. An F4 nearly blew me off Mt Humphrey. F16s out of Luke would fly their terrain following excersizes below the radars above a desert ranch where I drove D9s. Hard to hear anything riding that clanking, chugging hunk of iron but that boom right over my head always gave me a shock. The light show and sound effects off the bombing range to the south was better than TV. The first F18s aboard the 'Skidway' liked to Tom Cruise us; coming in on the deck they'ld soak us with rooster tails. Plane guarding could get tedious (unless someone went splat!) but warbirds are compulsively fascinating. Seeing them operate is a treat.

I don't know that the author of this complaint is un-American. I do know he's a self absorbed jackhole to think a low flying, tight formation over a populated area is the Air Force way of having sh!ts and giggles with his shopping trip. Yeah, I'm sure he supports the troops, he just doesn't want to see them! It's not un-American to be stupid. In fact it's a right. Some people abuse the priviledge.

Luke is generous with flybys and performed about half a dozen over the 4th. I was thrilled that the B2 orbitted/loitered over my house before its run in on the World Series.

-Wlm Shakespeare
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little off ---anyway
While re-building a jet engine test facility at Lemore (south of fresno,cal) I was 70 feet up when the brass flew in one day, the next day the Blue Angels gave us 4 hours of try outs------what a show, for free, those were F-16's, I would really like to see the new FA-18"s.

PS.----What A Rush!
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the offices I go to is on the 15th floor of a building near the Pentagon and Arlington cemetary. When they fly the missing man formation for a funeral, they pass right by my window!
And to top it off, there is a nest of Eagles not far away and if you look long enough you can catch them flying around. I saw them on the day of Reagan's funeral, and it made it so special.
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are spoiled here in San Diego and this year will probably be an even better show. Very Happy

Miramar Airshow 2005
Our 50th Anniversary Air Show dates are confirmed:
Oct. 14, 15, 16, 2005

BLUE ANGELS (All Three Afternoons)
The U.S. Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron, better known as the Blue Angels, has been the indisputable "star of the show" since the 1940s. Flying F/A-18 Hornets painted in Navy blue and gold since 1986, these masters of the sky have demonstrated aerial excellence in the Navy's top piston and jet aircraft. Click here for more about the Blue Angels and their traveling companion, the Marine Corps C-130 named "Fat Albert."

SBD
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:

Luke is generous with flybys and performed about half a dozen over the 4th. I was thrilled that the B2 orbitted/loitered over my house before its run in on the World Series.

Brought back a memory when we (Homestead AFB) were having a wartime 'exercise'... the invading forces were B1s that flew over the Gulf all the way to Florida just to appease our 'exercise' needs..
Laughing
C-130 Son
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Albert is awesome. One of the most incredible sights you will ever see when the C-130 turns on the rockets...WOW!
C-130 Son
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.stevesairshow.com/videos/stewart03/stewart03-fat-albert-1.rm

http://www.stevesairshow.com/videos/stewart03/stewart03-fat-albert-3.rm
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue9t3 wrote:
While re-building a jet engine test facility at Lemore (south of fresno,cal) I was 70 feet up when the brass flew in one day, the next day the Blue Angels gave us 4 hours of try outs------

I was at Lemoore, too! I remember those all-night-long high power turns. We lived out in town and could hear them all the way out on base. I can still close my eyes and hear an A7 in the cell if it's quiet. Smile

I also lived in a tiny apartment in Pensacola while hubs was going through AOCS - the Blues practiced right over us - I'd just take a few steps down to the beach and watch them.

Later, we lived in El Center, winter home of the Blues. They practiced two days a week - and you know that "sneak attack" they do? That manuever was directly over my back yard.

As soon as I heard them take off, I would have to go outside and watch them. That sneak attack would just scare the hell out of me if I didn't see it coming. My gosh, you could see the rivets in the wings! It honestly sounded inside the house like a plane was going down. So, I would walk around my back yard drinking my coffee and keeping my head on a swivel. And even seeing it coming, it was still just awesome.

I got to where I had both the low and high routines memorized! LOL!

Hubs got to go fly with them once - and the PIC gave him the stick several times! He'd taught a lot of form flying at Whiting, so he did pretty well at keeping in formation. And he didn't "go to sleep" in the high-g manuevers - he was really proud of that! Very Happy

What he didn't know was that during the whole flight, there was a video camera focused on him. He was given a tape afterward, along with a big framed poster with his name and date on it.

The video is so cool because you can hear the flight leader calling the routine and the wings responding. It's just amazing how the tiniest inflections in the flight lead's voice call for various reactions from the team. "A lit....tle more pull," means something different from, "A little more pull."

Plus it's cool because you can see hubs making that grimace during a g-pull that keeps the pilots from blacking out. Very Happy (They don't wear g-suits - they keep the blood from pooling away from their heads by tightening every muscle in their lower body, forcing blood to their trunks.)

Now, I'm "homesick" - I miss living on an airfield! Crying or Very sad
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pulling my 1st night as a DO in the Command Post of a Southern California Base and was reviewing the local operating instructions and came across one that made me smile.

This one was unusual for it was published by the Wing Commander himself and titled: "Response to Media or Public Concerning Aircraft Noise Complaints".

Procedure/s:

"Thank the caller for their noticing the noise of Combat Aircraft operating at their local base. "

Explain to the caller that, "Military Combat Aircraft are high performance weapons that generate a great deal of noise when operating".

The last statement you should make to the caller is: "The next time you hear a loud Military Combat Aircraft that disturbs you, the Wing Commander suggests you look up to identify the aircraft and enjoy the sound of Freedom".

We never had any callbacks on my shift.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: