SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry Sees Lance Armstrong As a Politician, but...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Kerry Sees Lance Armstrong As a Politician, but... Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/24/AR2005072400334_pf.html

Quote:
Kerry Sees Armstrong As a Politician

By JOHN LEICESTER
The Associated Press
Sunday, July 24, 2005; 11:03 AM

SAINT-ETIENNE, France -- Sen. John Kerry thinks Lance Armstrong would make a terrific politician _ but fears he'd be running for the other party.

Watching Armstrong during his warmup for Saturday's time trial, the Democrat from Massachusetts listed the Texan's winning qualities.

"What's made him so special at the Tour de France, and as an athlete, is the level of focus, discipline, intelligence, strategic ability, and obviously, his endurance _ his ability to just take it on and go," Kerry said.

Those qualities would serve Armstrong well in politics, Kerry said. But Armstrong is also friendly with fellow Texan President Bush.
"I think he'd be awesome, he'd be a force. I just hope it's for the right party," said Kerry, an avid cyclist and longtime fan of the Tour de France.

Kerry said he had tapes of last year's Tour delivered during his presidential campaign last year.

Armstrong, who plans to retire after this year's Tour, sealed a historic seventh straight victory Sunday. He has not ruled out a career in politics after he quits.

Like Armstrong admirers around the world, Kerry wears the yellow rubber "Live Strong" wristband produced by the cyclist's cancer-fighting organization.

"He's a terrific person with an unbelievable personal story, and he understands the seriousness of a number of different choices," Kerry said of Armstrong's comeback from cancer.

"It's one of the great sporting accomplishments of all time," he said. "The sheer willpower is stunning."
olympian2004
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Lance runs for office I believe it will be as a conservative. Liberals and the non-values of the democratic party go against everything he stands for from what I've observed of him over the past 10+ years.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know - I honestly never would have guessed that. Any idea how Sheryl Crow leans? She seems like a hippie to me Cool
olympian2004
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:
That's good to know - I honestly never would have guessed that. Any idea how Sheryl Crow leans? She seems like a hippie to me Cool

I have no idea about Sheryl Crow's politics. She grew up in small town Missouri. Besides bits and pieces about Sheryl's music and career that's all I know about her.
Curtis H.
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a guess...

Last edited by Curtis H. on Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Curtis H.
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Just what I thought.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: No. Reply with quote

No brain, either.
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it to Kerry to try and steal some of Lance's thunder after he win's his 7th..
sdmoel
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, she was against the war and talked out like the other Hollywood entertainers. Lance will be on the liberal Dem side. Ms. Crow is a major lib dem. They wouldn’t be together if they didn’t share the same beliefs.

On the today show this morning, they asked him about politics. He said we wouldn't run for governor this time, but who knows about next time. He all but said yes to a future in politics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: