SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phony Purple Heart
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Phony Purple Heart Reply with quote

The following article from the Washington Post was posted on the Drudge Report this morning. Read the article and then note the advertisements at the end. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Quote:

washingtonpost.com
Phony Purple Heart Taken Off Film Web Site

By JENNIFER TALHELM
The Associated Press
Monday, July 25, 2005; 7:46 PM

WASHINGTON -- Following complaints from a congressman, the producers of "Wedding Crashers" on Monday yanked from the movie's Web site a printable Purple Heart advertised as a gimmick to pick up women and get free drinks.

The movie characters _ played by Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn _ use the medals to pick up women. But advocates for a bill introduced by Rep. John Salazar, D-Colo., say it's no joke _ impostors also use the fake medals or fraudulent stories of medals to get ahead in business.

"We understand the sensitivity regarding the medals and did not intend to make light of their significance in any way," New Line Cinema spokesman Richard Socarides said Monday.

Wearing, manufacturing, buying, selling or trading a Medal of Honor is a crime. Salazar's Stolen Valor Act, introduced Friday, would expand the law to include more medals and would allow prosecution of anyone who falsely claims to have earned a military medal or a Purple Heart.

His office drew attention to the Web site. On Monday, he claimed victory.

"If any movie-goers take the advice of the 'Wedding Crashers' and try to use fake Purple Hearts to get girls, they may wind up picking up an FBI agent instead," Salazar warned in a statement. "I am pleased that New Line Cinema has agreed to take down offensive parts of the Web site. Our veterans and FBI agents are working hard to make sure that we honor our true heroes, no one should undermine their efforts."

The movie's Web site included a "Crasher Kit" with instructions on how to win attention at a wedding.

"Print your own Purple Heart," it invited. "To get one of these babies, some dudes have to prove their physical, mental and spiritual strength with great feats of bravery on the battlefield. All you need to do is press the button below."

Socarides said it would be removed by the end of the business day. "This is a comedy, and it's intended to be funny," he said. "It's really not intended to offend anyone."

Advocates for Salazar's bill praised the producers for altering the Web site. In a way, some said, the flap over the movie has helped by bringing attention to a cause they have been working on for years.

"With Hollywood you have to give them a little bit of license," said B.G. Burkett, one of the authors of the book "Stolen Valor: How the Vietnam Generation Was Robbed of Its Heroes and Its History," about fake Vietnam vets. "I'm hopeful Congressman Salazar's bill is going to go through, and it will put a clamp on the people who are doing this."

___

On the Net:

Home of Heroes: http://www.homeofheroes.com

New Line Cinema: http://www.weddingcrashersmovie.com

© 2005 The Associated Press

Advertising Links What's this?

Purple Heart Medals at SoldierCity
SoldierCity is the ideal place to shop for Purple Heart medals and other military products - offering 1000's of items - including rank insignia, medals, badges, and more.
www.soldiercity.com
The Purple Heart Medal
Over 29 years in business. Medals of America offers a large selection of military medals, ribbons, badges and more. Use our interactive rack builder or find gifts and info for veterans.
www.usmedals.com
Purple Heart Medal Certificate
Replacement certificate for your purple heart medal, all service branches available. Personalized and professionally printed - DD-214 not required.
citationexpress.com

sdmoel
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This controversy is just helping the movie.
vet_supporter
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Purple Hearts, can any of you veterans tell me how I could find the citations for them?

My great-uncle died a couple of years ago. When my mother, who was looking after him in his final years due to his bad health, was going through his stuff, she found two Purple Hearts. She, the oldest of his nieces and nephews, had no idea he had been awarded them and the papers were not with them. I never knew he was in WW2.

I've wanted to know this for some time. Since this thread is about Purple Hearts, I thought it appropriate to ask.

Thanks,
VS
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vet_supporter wrote:
Speaking of Purple Hearts, can any of you veterans tell me how I could find the citations for them?

"snip"
Thanks,
VS

Personnel Records are kept at:
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Your Mother will need to submit a Standard Form 180 with evidence of her being related to your uncle. The form is available on line at:

http://www.archives.gov/research/order/standard-form-180.pdf

She should be able to obtain copies of any general orders relating to any awards issued.

However, it is my understanding that only one certificate is issued for each award and no copies are retained.

Apparently from the article in the Washington Post you can obtain "Replacement certificate for your purple heart medal" at:
http://www.usmedals.com/store.html?id_medals=0726WB751512
vet_supporter
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the help.

VS

JN173 wrote:
vet_supporter wrote:

"snip"
Thanks,
VS

Personnel Records are kept at:
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Your Mother will need to submit a Standard Form 180 with evidence of her being related to your uncle. The form is available on line at:

http://www.archives.gov/research/order/standard-form-180.pdf

She should be able to obtain copies of any general orders relating to any awards issued.

However, it is my understanding that only one certificate is issued for each award and no copies are retained.

Apparently from the article in the Washington Post you can obtain "Replacement certificate for your purple heart medal" at:
http://www.usmedals.com/store.html?id_medals=0726WB751512
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
impostors also use the fake medals or fraudulent stories of medals to get ahead in business.

They forgot that 'some' have been known to do this to get ahead in politics and even run for the President of the United States.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Quote:
impostors also use the fake medals or fraudulent stories of medals to get ahead in business.

They forgot that 'some' have been known to do this to get ahead in politics and even run for the President of the United States.
I guess that is much of what drove the creation of this board in the first place. Smile

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is an e-mail I sent yesterday to all Vietnam Veterans of America's (VVA) Officers, Service Reps, Associate Reps, and a lot of their membership. I have edited out the addresses, but most can be found on the VVA website.

First a little VVA, VVAF ( 2 each), & VVMF history:

The VVA was founded about 1981 by veteran 60's - 70's radical Bobby Mueller who now runs, in my personal opinion, the questionable Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation (VVAF) ( http://vvaf.org/ ). That VVAF has supposedly gives/given almost 200 million dollars to the North Vietnamese Army and associated companies to clear landmines in Vietnam. Supposedly this is NOT affiliated with VVA. Please do not get the wrong idea that I'm condemning all those that belong to VVA. However, the organization does still have a lot of old staunch VVAW members as national and state officers, members, etc.

An official link can be found on the main VVA website ( http://www.vva.org/ ) to a fund of a similar name, and with the same 'VVAF' acronymn. That official VVA affiliate, Vietnam Veterans Assistance Fund (VVAF) director is non other than ( J. Randy Barnes aka Randy J. Barnes aka Joseph R. Barnes ( name signed for fund)), a member of the VVAW at the Kansas City meeting where discussions of killing conservative Senators was contemplated along with Kerry. Barnes still lives in the Kansas area.

The Vietnam Memorial Foundation (VVMF) ( http://www.vvmf.org/ )
This is the organization that built the 'Wall' and continues to help with it's upkeep. It is also the foundation that draws in the most annual donations from corporate and philanthropic organizations. To me this is a very worthwhile endeavor. In the past a lot of issues of concern have been raised about where and how funds are spent. I thinktheir expenditures are worthy of investigation. From what I understand, the new underground (below the Wall area) complex currently being constructed, will provide movies and exhibits about the war. Have heard that concerns are being raised as to the content of the history to be taught within the new complex. Those concerns are similar to the fight on the proposed WTC memorial/exhibit.

=============
An official VVA Press Release was sent out in August before the election condemening the Republicans for wearing the Purple Heart band-aids. In my e-mail of yesterday to the VVA, I asked them to clarify their position on the movie 'Crashing Weddings' fake Purple Hearts issue. The e-mail was sent to probably 40 - 50 official VVA Reps. I have yet to receive a single reply.
=============

Quote:
----- Original Message -----
To: ---------@vva.org ......
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 2:35 PM
Subject: Where Does VVA stand? "Vets Condemn 'Wedding Crashers' " (Fake Purple Hearts)

Tom Corey
VVA National President

What kind of Press Release are you going to send out about these fake Purple Hearts? A Press release was issued by VVA and signed by you on August 31, 2004 castigating people who placed Purple Heart band-aids on themselves pre-election 2004. Caused a big stink. I would ask the favor of VVA's official position on the current released movie 'Wedding Crashers'. Is it freedom of speech or not? Please see below for information on this movie and the 2004 VVA Press Release.

Thank You,

William Page
Inactive member of VVA
1st Cav Div (Airmobile) RVN
3rd Bde (Separate)
B Co. 2/5th Cav 1971-'72
D Co. 1/12th Cav 1972 MR II Easter Offensive

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050724/D8BI1EEO0.html
Some Vets Condemn 'Wedding Crashers' Site

Jul 24, 6:33 PM (ET)

(AP) Actors Owen Wilson, left, and Vince Vaughn arrive at the New York City premiere of their new film...
Full Image

DENVER (AP) - Some military veterans and law enforcement officials are angry about a Web site promoting Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn's comedy "Wedding Crashers."

To win the affections of attractive bridesmaids in the movie, two fun-loving partiers pretend to be Purple Heart recipients.

New Line Cinema's movie Web site includes a fake, paper Purple Heart to cut out, with the spoof: "Carrying a Purple Heart in your jacket guarantees you attention, admiration and plenty of free booze."

"I challenge the producer of that movie to go to Walter Reed Hospital and walk through the ward and see if he still wants to print out a fake Purple Heart," said Thomas Cottone, Jr., a special agent with the FBI who enforces a federal law that prohibits wearing, manufacturing, buying, selling or trading a Medal of Honor.

"Talk to some of these people who don't have legs anymore and see how funny they think that movie is."

New Line Cinema, which produced the movie, did not return a phone message.

A bill introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives Friday would expand federal law to allow prosecution of anyone who falsely claims to have earned a military medal or a Purple Heart.

"Here's an example of Hollywood imitating life. Hopefully it brings to the American conscience that this is what is happening," said Doug Sterner, a Vietnam veteran who runs a Web site dedicated to Medal of Honor recipients.

===============================================

http://www.vva.org/PressReleases/2004/pr04-042.htm

IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Press Release
August 31, 2004
No. 04-042

Mokie Porter
(301) 585-4000 Ext. 146
(301) 996-0901

"Purple Heart" Band-aids a Mockery of service
A Statement from Thomas H. Corey, National President, Vietnam Veterans of America

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Washington, D.C.) – Vietnam Veterans of America has received reports of delegates at the Republican National Convention disseminating and wearing "Purple Heart" band-aids in mockery of one of nation’s most distinctive honors, the Purple Heart medal.

The Purple Heart is one of the oldest military awards, first introduced in 1782 by Gen. George Washington to honor the service and sacrifice of the common soldier and recognize the spirit of volunteerism and selfless dedication. It was reinstated in 1932. The Purple Heart is awarded to members of the armed forces who are wounded by the enemy.

The spirit of the award recognizes the personal sacrifice of our troops without regard to the severity or nature of the wound. It is the wounding itself that merits the honor. To demean the decoration and the sacrifice it symbolizes demeans all veterans and the patriots who honor them.

With our nation’s sons and daughters at war to protect global freedom, demeaning military service in this way is especially hurtful. Vietnam Veterans of America urges all Americans to decry this type of outrageous, disrespectful, and infantile behavior.

###

The VVA Press release seemed biased in of itself and I darn sure let them know about that back then. The VVA is supposed to be an apolitical orginazation, but I surely do not think so. The way their press releases are written are very biased against our president and administration. A review of those on their website should provide one with a similar opinion.
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seems we got a reply. This just in to my in mail: I'll have to give Tom Corey credit, at least he sticks with the same message. I do agree with him on people using phony medals. Wonder how the VVA feels about burning of the American flag in protest?

Emphasis mine.
Quote:
----- Original Message -----
To: William Page
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 3:39 PM
Subject: RE: Where Does VVA stand? "Vets Condemn 'Wedding Crashers' "(Fake Purple Hearts)

This press release has just been sent to US Newswire for national distribution and will posted to the VVA website later today.

IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Press Release
July 26, 2005
No. 05-016

Mokie Porter
(301) 585-4000 Ext. 146
(301) 996-0901

Vietnam Veterans of America
Condemns Frivolous Use of the Purple Heart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Washington, D.C.) – Vietnam Veterans of America national President Thomas H. Corey today harshly condemned the producers of the Hollywood Film Wedding Crashers for their crass use of the Purple Heart in the film and for placing a printable medal on a web site to encourage men to use it to impress women.
“Millions of American fighting men and women have been awarded the Purple Heart since it was introduced by Gen. George Washington in 1782,” Corey, a Purple Heart recipient who was severely disabled by his wounds in the Vietnam War, said. “That award honors the service and sacrifice of those who put their lives on the line for our country and were wounded in action. It is unconscionable to me—and is an insult to everyone who has served the nation in the military—to trivialize the Purple Heart in this way.”

Corey praised U.S. Rep. John Salazar (D-Colo.) for the bill he introduced in the House on July 22 that would expand a current law making it a crime to wear, manufacture, purchase, sell or trade the Medal of Honor. Salazar’s bill would make it a criminal offense to claim falsely to have earned the Purple Heart or other military medal.

“We’re pleased that the movie’s producers removed that offensive printable Purple Heart from their web site,” Corey said, “and we hope that Rep. Salazar’s bill becomes law to prevent similar occurrences of this in the future.”
###

Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) is the nation's only congressionally chartered veterans service organization dedicated to the needs of Vietnam-era veterans and their families. VVA's founding principle is “Never again will one generation of veterans abandon another.”
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - Wonder who is minding these Forums? Seems as if there is almost a one sided view here? How does VVAF verify anything on the official VVAF forums? Maybe a good idea, but for a non-profit organization, it has the potential for very political purposes.

http://vvaf.org/proactive/newsroom/release.vtml?id=2003100

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Erin Lonergan, 202-483-9222
elonergan@vi.org

Chronicles of Vietnam War Go Online
Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation

Launches On-line Shared Journal On 30th Anniversary of War's End
VVAF Continues 25-Year Legacy of Advancing the American Experience of Vietnam War
WASHINGTON - Three decades after the end of the Vietnam War, the Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation (VVAF) will launch on Saturday, April 30, 2005 an interactive online journal to capture the personal experiences of people who were involved in and affected by the war. The launch of the site, www.VietnamViews.org, marks the 30th anniversary of the war's end, and it will serve as a dynamic online history for soldiers, families, friends and others to share their stories from the war.

An initial set of journal entries will be available on launch day as a springboard from which visitors to the website can draw inspiration to contribute their own experiences. Over the next several months, VVAF anticipates numerous contributions from hundreds of people who experienced the Vietnam War firsthand.

"We want to capture the story of the war, in first person, from as many perspectives as we can," says Bill Belding, President of VVAF, an international humanitarian organization that addresses the causes, conduct and consequences of war through programs of advocacy and service for victims of conflict around the world. "The war and its aftermath have played too significant a role in Vietnamese, U.S., and world history to let them simply fade away without deliberate retrospection. We can never forget"

Like writing an email or letter online, contributors can freely manage and edit their journal entries as they see fit. The website technology will tie contributors' stories together in time, place and other dimensions and make posting photographs and other items easy. VietnamViews.org is designed to capture, organize and chronicle these first-person accounts, so readers can appreciate the numerous dimensions, from American, Vietnamese and other nationalities, of the Vietnam War. Future plans could include launching similar online journal sites to chronicle the personal experiences of those involved in other conflicts and wars, such as Desert Storm, Afghanistan, or even the current struggle in Iraq.

In continuing its 25-year tradition of transforming the American experience of the Vietnam War into a mission of compassion and justice, VVAF hopes that VietnamViews.org will increase awareness and understanding of the war, and the continued effect the war has had on the troops, their families and friends.

"By offering the opportunity for veterans to share their unique perspectives on the realities of life during war," says Belding, "we hope that this project will help people of goodwill everywhere celebrate the peace and growing friendship that now unites the two countries."

Founded in 1980 by Vietnam veterans Bobby Muller and John Terzano who embarked on an unprecedented journey back to Vietnam to make peace with America's former enemy, this year also marks the organization's 25th anniversary. Since its inception, VVAF began to lead reconciliation efforts that would ultimately result in lifting the U.S. trade embargo and normalizing relations with Vietnam. It is because of this advocacy that VVAF began a unique friendship with the Vietnamese that endures today. In addition, VVAF was awarded the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize for its efforts to galvanize nearly a third of the world's countries to sign a treaty eradicating the use of antipersonnel landmines.

To learn more about VVAF and its work, please visit www.VVAF.org

Some of the stories being submitted to their new website appear as mostly an antiwar forum. Maybe they need to have some good Forum Administrators as SVPT. Please see some of the stories that are on their website and who they are. Examples below:

http://www.vietnamviews.org/story.cfm?storyID=319
Quote:
Story # 319
<snip>
July 22, 1999

I was jogging in Pensacola, Florida and a Vietnam Vet jumped out from behind a tree with a knife and ran across the street screaming I want you. I to am a Veteran of the U. S. Army and Thank God he is doing time in Florida under close security until 2015. If you have any comments email me at Poison413910@yahoo.com

http://www.vietnamviews.org/story.cfm?storyID=305
Quote:
Story # 305
<snip>
September 09, 1969

I was 7 at the time of the veit-nam war seeing Dan Rather on T.v. as a reporter I was in my grandmother and grandfathers house that morning behind him as he was reporting was Americans laying in strachers being carried by service men in to helicoptors. yes I was young and rememering my uncle being in that war as a mass hall cook sergent....never will I for-get veit-nam. Edward Church Maine Peace Directer.4Maine&Canada

http://www.vietnamviews.org/story.cfm?storyID=307
Quote:
Story # 307
<snip>
September 10, 1971

I was in the second grade when of a little girl that was in my class that who`s father was an Airforce pilot in the Viet-Nam war that who got shot down by the enemy.that never saw him again alive.
her name was Chris Ryder from Dover-Foxcroft

this was foughtless war by so many servicemen that had died for. that the American government that could`t win. and that was only a political war in all. America is fighting once again fighting a Iraq WAR! with a war President. Maine peace Directer Edward D.Church

Who is this "Maine Peace Director" probably linked with?
http://www.sullboat.com/MEPJ/index.htm
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vet_supporter wrote:

My great-uncle died a couple of years ago. When my mother, who was looking after him in his final years due to his bad health, was going through his stuff, she found two Purple Hearts. She, the oldest of his nieces and nephews, had no idea he had been awarded them and the papers were not with them. I never knew he was in WW2.

I've wanted to know this for some time. Since this thread is about Purple Hearts, I thought it appropriate to ask.

Thanks,
VS

Unfortunately a fire at the records center in the 70s destroyed most of the WWII and prior records. You may have to research news paper articles and alternative sources. First try to find out what unit he was with and this my give you an idea where he was in action. Too bad his story is now lost.
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder who is supporting this VVAF endeavor?

http://www.forumone.com/content/press_release/1027/

Quote:
VVAF Launches "Vietnam Views" Collaborative Journal of the Vietnam War
April 30, 2005

<snip>

Forum One supported VVAF in this project by helping developing the collaborative journaling ("cojo") concept, developing the software, and hosting the site.

Contact

Kurt Voelker

I do not have any problem with a company performing captialist pursuits, nor do I approve or disapprove of any of their sites. However it is informative to view what else FORUM ONE does support?

http://www.forumone.com/content/press_release/1001/
Quote:

Forum One Launches Redesigned Web Site for the National Council of La Raza
June 10, 2004

Today Forum One launched a redesigned version of www.nclr.org, the main Web Site for the National Council of La Raza (NCLR). NCLR is the largest national constituency-based Hispanic organization and the leading voice in Washington, DC for the Hispanic community.

The new and improved site, made possible by a grant from Time Warner, features a greater array of content and additional features on a broader range of topics of interest to the Latino community including advocacy and electoral empowerment, assets, civil rights and justice, education, employment and economic opportunities, farmworkers, health and family support, housing and community development, and immigration. The site is more functional and interactive for staff of NCLR's affiliate organizations, media users, policymakers and advocates, researchers, and members of the broader community.

Forum One assisted with initial strategy and technology planning work, followed by design and technical development.

Contact

Tim Shaw
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who is accountable for this money and what companies are subcontracted from the Vietnamese armed forces?

http://vvaf.org/proactive/newsroom/release.vtml?id=2000585

Quote:
Landmine & UXO Impact Survey Assessment October 2003-Present

Vietnam Landmine Survey

Community Interview

VVAF has been operational in Vietnam since 1995, supporting the mobility impaired and treating victims of war. After a considerable period of negotiation, VVAF (funded by the US Department of State) and the Vietnamese Ministry of Defense/Technology Center for Bomb and Mine Disposal signed a Memorandum of Understanding on February 25, 2004 that will allow VVAF's Information Management and Mine Action Programs (iMMAP), in partnership with the Vietnamese Ministry of Defense, to move forward with plans for a landmine/unexploded ordnance survey in Vietnam. This unprecedented partnership represents a historic occurrence: the first time the Vietnamese Ministry of Defense has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with an American non-governmental organization. The operational plan calls first for implementation of a regional survey in three provinces (expected to take 12 months to complete), followed by a survey of the remaining 58 provinces.

Click here to see the press release covering the ceremony.

See below for photos of the historic signing ceremony between VVAF and the Vietnamese Ministry of Defense.

Bobby Muller receives a Friendship
Medal from Vu Xuan Hong.

Bobby Muller and John Terzano meet
with Deputy Prime Minister Vu Khoan
and other important officials during the
signing ceremony.
vet_supporter
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:

Unfortunately a fire at the records center in the 70s destroyed most of the WWII and prior records. You may have to research news paper articles and alternative sources. First try to find out what unit he was with and this my give you an idea where he was in action. Too bad his story is now lost.

Thanks for the info. It's disappointing to find that the records were probably destroyed. I don't know of anyone who is left alive that might know what unit he was in if they ever knew. I'm not even sure what branch but I guess he was Army.

It is sad that the story might be lost. He never talked about it. The only other relative that I know that was in WW2 passed away in '83. He was a tank driver in the Pacific. I only heard him talk about it once when he mentioned an incident where his tank was hit and the crew had to climb out through the escape hatch in the bottom. As a kid, I was fascinated there was a hatch in the bottom. The full impact of the story didn't register to my kid mind but as an adult, I realize it must have been a bad situation. He never gave details of what he went through which seems to be the way with most combat veterans. I never even knew the great-uncle was in the service, much less the war with two Purple Hearts.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

VS
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.S. Demining Program Funding History (FY 1993-2002) (Dollars in Thousands)

The U.S. had spent $21,808,000.00 in Vietnam as of 2002.

See this chart for verification:
http://www.state.gov/t/pm/rls/rpt/walkearth/2002/14881.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: