SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forum Survey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

My preferred screen resolution is...
Greater than 1024X768
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
1024X768
63%
 63%  [ 14 ]
800X600
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
640X480
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 22

Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Forum Survey Reply with quote

Forum folk...

As I'm sure many of you have noted, graphics beyond a certain width (and long url's) can create a need for horizontal scrolling in order to read (see) the content of a post. While it may be tolerable for a short thread, when placed in more active threads it causes an entire topic to be excessively wide and user-unfriendly. This is also aggravated by the use of lower screen resolutions.

At 1024X768 resolution (using IE6 browser), a 600 pixel width graphic can fit into a full screen display without creating the need for horizontal scrolling and I would like to use that width as a limit for our forum.

Now, I understand that most folks have not had the capability to host graphic files that have been re-sized to be forum friendly. However, I recently stumbled upon a GREAT website that will host your graphics free of charge...Image Shack . It also provides a number of useful uploading tools that you might find of interest.

I would also be interested in the screen resolutions most favored by our forum members. If you would, please take a moment and answer the above poll...

Thanks

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me; if I may so bold to suggest, contact your web site manager and simply have him/her run stats on the access.

While I do use a higher resolution, I also do not have any of the windows using the full screen so the horizontal slider raises its ugly head often and your suggested standard is an excellent idea. Once again. Smile
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoophyDog wrote:
Me; if I may so bold to suggest, contact your web site manager and simply have him/her run stats on the access.

Gooph, thanks for the suggestion but he's a busy fellow and this isn't all that critical. Wink
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80% at 1024 x 768. Looks like most folks have a 17" CRT monitor. That's interesting.
I bet that figure changes as LCD's get cheaper. Most of those have a higher native res.
Wish I had one.
Thanks for the IMageShack link. Ain't that kool.
Dusty
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, I'm one of the fools who voted for 'greater than' Laughing

I had to use imageshack awhile back to prove the net speed that I had Wink

Great site Exclamation

MJ
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well. Looks like a 600 pixel limit will work well for most folks...let's keep that in mind when posting graphics.

Interestingly enough, looks like folks using 600X800 will get a horizontal scrollbar even without long url's or wide graphics...go figger. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: