SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Walter Cronkite of our times.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: The Walter Cronkite of our times. Reply with quote

Pat Buchanan was on MSNBC this morning saying that "We are losing the war in Iraq."
A flat statement by Mr. 'I know better than anybody' Buchanan.
He went on with a rant on the subject.
Folks, we are watching it happen again. We need to get very vocal on every public forum we can find. We need to deluge the MSM with complaints and vote in all the media polls we can find to try to turn the tide of this thing.
Right now, I'm watching a many years delayed 'Instant Replay' of what happened here in America during the 'Nam conflict.
The polls are showing that the dark side is winning this propaganda war right now. Are we going to let them?

Dusty
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple nights ago, Ann Coulter basically made mincemeat out of Bill O'Reilly over much the same stuff. BOR, while not openly saying the Iraq War is all but lost, hinted strongly just that and how we need to send even more troops and such there to win it.

Our media seems determined to call the shots and make or break wars they chose as appropriate or not. Seems they have no problem with engagements intitiated by Democrat Administrations, but any necessary fights initiated by Republicans automatically become quagmires, unnecessary and poorly thought out. In fact, I have yet to see or hear the leftstream media give credit to our troops for their accomplishments there, only the handful of malcontents get press.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The war was won from the moment we crossed the FEBA...and I don't mean the war on terror. I mean the war on timidity and global ambivalence to the historical outrages of despotic and terrorist-supporting states...and there may be more to come.

The Euro-weenies are quickly discovering that cowering in the face of this threat to western civilization and values is no protective bunker. Nor is joining a chorus of (hopefully) self-serving denunciation of American (and Coalition) action.
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
A couple nights ago, Ann Coulter basically made mincemeat out of Bill O'Reilly over much the same stuff. BOR, while not openly saying the Iraq War is all but lost, hinted strongly just that and how we need to send even more troops and such there to win it.

Coulter and mincemeat video here:
http://treyjackson.typepad.com/
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buchanan and O'Reilly have become to enmeshed in the popular media and their own popularity wanting to be liked. Niether has much objectivity left. Both have become MSM pundits and may fast become lapdogs. Along with McCain they are becoming Leftist pets. Sit up, shake hands, Nice boy. Here's a treat. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Mad Mad Mad Mad
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
The war was won from the moment we crossed the FEBA...and I don't mean the war on terror. I mean the war on timidity and global ambivalence to the historical outrages of despotic and terrorist-supporting states...and there may be more to come.

The Euro-weenies are quickly discovering that cowering in the face of this threat to western civilization and values is no protective bunker. Nor is joining a chorus of (hopefully) self-serving denunciation of American (and Coalition) action.

That may well be Me#1 but make no mistake about it, the media is selling us out and the American public is buying. Now we have the mother of a soldier who got killed in Iraq touring around the country sparking anti-war protests, and even Fox news giving her coverage. Anything anti-war will get play time for the public while anything showing support for our policies will not.
How a mother can dishoner her son's sacrifice like that is beyond my comprehension but she is doing it.
We must remember that being against war and violence is a natural human proclivity so that it's much easier to sell anti-war sentiment than it is to convince people to stay the course.
And they are turning the tide. This is an exact replay of what went on here during the Vietnam war. It starts slowly at first and no one gives it much notice but it quickly builds into a momentum that overwhelms our representatives in Washington. And it is building again, just like it did back then.
If the American public sees enough of these idiots on their tv screens telling them the President lied to us about the reasons we went into Iraq, telling them that the war has been grossly mishandled, telling them enough half truths and outright lies without at least the same level and intensity of response from the other side pointing out the inconsistancies and falsehoods, (and at the present time we don't have anything like that) then we are lost and the crazies have won. Just as the Communists did in Vietnam. Instant Replay to the max.

From what I am seeing I am very fearful.

Dusty
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty wrote:
Me#1You#10 wrote:

That may well be Me#1 but make no mistake about it, the media is selling us out and the American public is buying. Now we have the mother of a soldier who got killed in Iraq touring around the country sparking anti-war protests, and even Fox news giving her coverage. Anything anti-war will get play time for the public while anything showing support for our policies will not.
How a mother can dishoner her son's sacrifice like that is beyond my comprehension but she is doing it.
We must remember that being against war and violence is a natural human proclivity so that it's much easier to sell anti-war sentiment than it is to convince people to stay the course.
And they are turning the tide. This is an exact replay of what went on here during the Vietnam war. It starts slowly at first and no one gives it much notice but it quickly builds into a momentum that overwhelms our representatives in Washington. And it is building again, just like it did back then.
If the American public sees enough of these idiots on their tv screens telling them the President lied to us about the reasons we went into Iraq, telling them that the war has been grossly mishandled, telling them enough half truths and outright lies without at least the same level and intensity of response from the other side pointing out the inconsistancies and falsehoods, (and at the present time we don't have anything like that) then we are lost and the crazies have won. Just as the Communists did in Vietnam. Instant Replay to the max.

Dusty

Well said.
Unfortunately, I completely agree. Sad Sad
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty wrote:

I think, perhaps, you overestimate the influence that today's version of the anti-war left (and their MSM sycophants) wield over public opinion...and I believe you underestimate an ever-growing "western" sentiment that the Iraq war was, perhaps, THE correct long-term solution (though a difficult pill it is for them to swallow).

From Reuters, no less, via today's Washington Times (emphasis mine)...

Quote:
Tehran rebuffs EU on nukes
By Parisa Hafezi
REUTERS NEWS AGENCY
August 7, 2005

TEHRAN -- Iran yesterday rejected the European Union's offer of incentives in return for a suspension of its nuclear-fuel work, paving the way for a confrontation that could lead to U.N. sanctions against the Islamic Republic.

The EU said its proposals aimed to allow Iran access to nuclear technology, but block work that could help make an atomic bomb. If Tehran resumed nuclear work, the EU said it would back U.S. calls to refer Iran to the United Nations for sanctions.

<snip>

The Europeans called a meeting of the U.N. nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), on Tuesday to warn Iran against restarting its sensitive nuclear work. The IAEA can refer Iran to the U.N. Security Council for possible sanctions.

Washington Times - cont'd
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for what it's worth Me#1, I sure hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Me#1you#10 wrote:
Quote:

I think, perhaps, you overestimate the influence that today's version of the anti-war left (and their MSM sycophants) wield over public opinion...and I believe you underestimate an ever-growing "western" sentiment that the Iraq war was, perhaps, THE correct long-term solution (though a difficult pill it is for them to swallow).

But I must say again, we underestimated the left's and the media's influence and the ability of the Communists to use propaganda to win a war before. I see that same same underestimation occuring today. I sure hope I'm seeing thngs.

Dusty
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Buchanan went so far off the right wing he wound up on the left side of the left wing. Except I do believe he is still pro life and that is the absolute litmus test to join the left wing club.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cronkite of our times? Not hardly! Cronkite had an audience.

Funny how the reputed author of the 'nattering nabobs of negativism' speech has become one. Given the chance he spit on the Republicans, lead the Independants to oblivion and remains anethema to the Dems. He now drifts toward irrelevance on the lowest rated channel on cable.

-Wlm Shakespeare
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buchanan was never a politician and has never held office. He has always been a pundit and commentator. Nothing more, nothing less.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
dusty wrote:

From Reuters, no less, via today's Washington Times (emphasis mine)...

No offense here:
I think you underestimate what you think we ('dusty' and myself, at least) overestimate, and vice versa. I remember coming back from cruises to VietNam, seeing the protests starting, and thinking "that's kind of silly". I paid no attention, until it was far too late. At the time, "those hippies" weren't given much respect by the general public, either.
When I see articles like that in the New York and L.A. Times, and start seeing something positive, in addition to, all the negative reporting on Iraq, I'll rethink things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: