SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Absolutely no relevance to this sight but need your help, pl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdurr1
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Absolutely no relevance to this sight but need your help, pl Reply with quote

I am 59, the daughter of a deceased WWII vet, born in Germany while Dad was in the service. My mother was German. I have a German birth certificate and was always told by my parents that I was a naturalized citizen because of the circumstances. Recently my purse was stolen, and in it was my social security card. When I went to the SS office to get a duplicate, they wouldn't issue me one because of the German Birth Certificate. I have worked for over 40 years, am a registered voter, I took in my school records, all to no avail. They can pull me up on their screen, they show all my info but will not give me a duplicate. I am just starting a new job and they want a copy of my SS card. Can anyone give me any ideas as to what I should do. I have a call in to my state representative to see if he can help but I know you are a very smart bunch and maybe you'll have some answers. Thanks for any responses.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolutely no relevance to this sight but need your help Reply with quote

hdurr1 wrote:
I have a call in to my state representative to see if he can help but I know you are a very smart bunch and maybe you'll have some answers.

Just my opinion, but it seems to me that it's not a question of IF he/she can help but WHEN he/she will help. US Reps can move bureaucratic mountains in a NY minute with a single phone call. I think you've targeted the correct solution and I would recommend NUMEROUS calls and e-mails to his/her office until you receive an appropriate response.
hdurr1
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: I may have an edge here! Reply with quote

He attends the same church as my husband and they have spoken on numerous occasions so he just may be my solution. Thanks for your response.
One funny thing to this, if there is one. I said to the gal waiting on me, "well, I won't be able to collect my SS then will I?" She said of course I can, all I have to do is show my SS card. DUH!!! Wanted to reach over the counter and slap her. Bet they pay her well too.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you find something else official that has your SS# on it? How about pay stubs from your last job, and also your bank account, etc? Also do you have an American passport? If you explain your situation, those should pacify your new job until you get it resolved. Usually they need 2 forms of ID, and if you have a picture driver's license a SS card can be substituted for something else official.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1 said
Quote:
Just my opinion, but it seems to me that it's not a question of IF he/she can help but WHEN he/she will help. US Reps can move bureaucratic mountains in a NY minute with a single phone call.

I had a problem a couple of years ago that I didn't know what to do.
My Congressman Mike Rogers had it all taken care of in a day!!!

Those idiot bureaucrats in government offices snap into high gear when a Congressman or Senator gives them a call!!
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm. Scarey. I'm 63 myself. I had a Social Security Card
once when I was a teenager. I've never needed one since I went
in the Navy at 17. I have that number all over everything, but never
the card itself.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going back about some 31 or 32 years, but here goes.
My grandmother on my mother's side was born in Germany of a German father and American mother. This was pre-WW1. They moved to USA when she was an infant and he became a US citizen. When my grandmother reached 65, she went to apply for Social Security but didn't have a US birth certificate, passport or citizenship papers. She had to present a copy of her parents marriage certificate, her German birth certificate showing both parents names, and a copy of her mother's American birth certificate. This took about 3 or 4 months of digging by various family members and the help of the the town clerk in the town in Germany where her parents were married. Thank god the records survived WW2. After all the records were shown, she started receiving social security payments.

You may have to come up with similar documentation. I'd try my Congressman first though, the alternative is a lot of work.
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back and call her bluff. Get the clerk's full name and position by asking her directly.

Then ask for her supervisor, if she balks, ask for the supervisor's name at the very least. If you get to talk to the supervisor, again make sure you visibly get his/her name ie; WRITE IT DOWN IN FRONT OF THEM and confirm the spelling.

Keep in mind that the clerk is probably a GS 5 or 7, not paid that well and the supervisor will be an 11 or 13. In either case they'll be leary to continuing to block you once they see you are taking notes, names etc.

In all cases remember, YOU are an American citizen and YOU have rights. They are there to serve YOU so keep your head held high, speak in a clear voice and look em down.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defintely contact the office supervisor. According to the Social Security itself, you have presented all necessary identification as to who you are. Here is a link to their site outlining their own requirements;

http://www.ssa.gov/replace_sscard.html

My own daughter was born while I was in Germany and along with her German Birth Certificate, she also has a Report of an American Citizen Born Abroad through the State Department. Don't know if they used those when you were born, but if so, it should prove citizenship.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Defintely contact the office supervisor. According to the Social Security itself, you have presented all necessary identification as to who you are. Here is a link to their site outlining their own requirements;

http://www.ssa.gov/replace_sscard.html

My own daughter was born while I was in Germany and along with her German Birth Certificate, she also has a Report of an American Citizen Born Abroad through the State Department. Don't know if they used those when you were born, but if so, it should prove citizenship.

Your absolutely right this is the document that proves you are an American Citizen and acts in lieu of birth certificate to conduct business.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
Frogg
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The requirements to have an acutal repalcement card if you are foreign born may be more strict than if born in the US; but, they used to have a process whereby, if you establish ID, you can request that they give you a computer printout verifying your SSN (for employment purposes), etc (they used to also add a special stamp at the bottom as verification signed by the SSA employee). Talk to the manager of the SSA Office.

If that doesn't work...call your local Congressman or Senator.
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew, not sure if she has seen any of the very helpful postings.. You may have to email her directly with all of the info that was handed out.. Looks like she needs the help. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: