SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

President Bush-PRIME TIME SPEECH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: President Bush-PRIME TIME SPEECH Reply with quote

WASHINGTON TIMES EDITORIAL
Quote:
The post-Katrina presidency
TODAY'S EDITORIAL
September 15, 2005

In remarks Tuesday on Hurricane Katrina, President Bush spoke of "serious problems in our response capability" and questioned whether the United States can handle another major storm or a terrorist attack. "To the extent that the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility," the president asserted. Well said: These are steps along the higher road and are to be applauded.

But the country needs Mr. Bush to follow up with real policy changes in order to ensure recovery. It needs more than first responders, too: The president must reassess the full gamut of our vulnerabilities, from the porous borders to the paucity of Arabic translators in the military to the need for more cargo inspectors in our ports. Those are just a few of the problems the president needs to seriously re-address. Only real leadership can elevate the debate above the recriminations evident in the last two weeks.

Toward that end, we hope to see him announce a top-to-bottom review of the nation's homeland-security and disaster-preparedness capabilities. There are some indications Mr. Bush will do this. For one, on Tuesday the president pointed toward bold actions to fix the problems. "Are we capable of dealing with a severe attack or another severe storm?" he asked. "That's a very important question and it's in our national interest that we find out exactly what went on so we can better respond."

According to ABC News, an anonymous administration official appeared to second the likelihood of bold moves by telling reporters that tonight's address will be unlike anything the president has delivered previously. It will be "explanatory," the official said. It will lay out a strategy in the way that a State of the Union address does and will "sketch a vision of the future." But it is not a rally speech; its intent is to get the country thinking about the future it wants and what it takes to get there. He is also reportedly planning to address the racial accusations swirling around efforts in the Gulf Coast.

The most necessary elements of the president's vision are already evident to the American people. They will include a renewed Federal Emergency Management Agency, to be accomplished after exhaustive study of its evident decline and the reasons behind it; a hard look at what it takes to make the Department of Homeland Security live up to its name; a call for Congress to revamp the appropriations processes by which money was spent on virtually everything but levee fortification; and moves toward better coordination with authorities at the state and local levels.

But it should also include the same homeland-security fundamentals we've been writing about since before the September 11 attacks. Whatever the president does, the success of his second term and probably his entire presidency will hinge upon it, and rightly so.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This speech put the MSM and the Democrats in a pretty tight spot. Critisism of these tenets the president put forth tonight is likely to cost them points.
He said a lot of the things Democrats have been screaming about. Sorta took the wind out of their sails I think. Or at least I would expect it to.

For a minute at least.

Dusty
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God Bless this man!!
This was a great speech full of specific plans and reassurances. Very encouraging to those who have been displaced. Promises to rebuild a BETTER city.

Lotsa federal bucks to help BUT he says that he will have INSPECTOR GENERALS in place to keep an accounting of what the money is spent on.
Accountabilty!! Dubya knows how money disappears to corruption in LA.

The President didn't shrink from the race issue and offered uplifting plans on home ownership and entrepreneurship to combat longstanding poverty.

I think he hit a homerun speaking from the heart!!!
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty said
Quote:
This speech put the MSM and the Democrats in a pretty tight spot. Critisism of these tenets the president put forth tonight is likely to cost them points.

I was flipping through the channels right after the speech to see the reaction, and there was the imperious Ted Koppel (I especially detest this jerk!) He switched to a reporter with a number of black evacuees sitting outside the Astrodome in Houston. I thought oh boy, here we go with the pre-positioned, pre-prepped interviews with a bunch of negative gripers.

But it was priceless!! Koppel must have been sheeeting!
One after another the reporter asked what they felt about what the President had to say.
The first was an older lady in a wheelchair said she absolutely believed the President and was encouraged by what he had to say.

The second said something similar.
Then the reporter started suggesting negative questions, to try to get some kind of gripe. Koppel was looking uncomfortable. They weren't supposed to be saying nice things about the President. But one after another, EVERY ONE expressed belief that President Bush would come through.

Finally, the reporter suggested to one woman who had been in the Superdome that didn't she think Bush should have got her out of there sooner? She went into a rant, that it wasn't Bush's fault, it was the mayor sitting with busses going underwater that was responsible. HE SHOULD HAVE GOT US OUT!!!

Several said they were thankful for what FEMA did to help them.
I tell you it was PRICELESS!!!

I bet Koppel was wondering how Karl Rove managed to assemble THAT GROUP?? That's it! It must have been a Rove scheme.
gmez2001
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Bush speech Reply with quote

Great and ambitious speech.
What a great country with a Great Leader!!!!!
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As can be expected, sKerry and company have already issued their complaints;

Quote:
Moments later, Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., criticized Bush, saying "Leadership isn't a speech or a toll-free number."

"No American doubts that New Orleans will rise again," Kerry said. "They doubt the competence and commitment of this administration." House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid, in a joint statement, said, "We are concerned by Bush administration initiatives this week waiving wage protections, environmental safeguards and protections for veterans, minorities, women and the disabled."

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/15/D8CL3BEO6.html

They can't help but continue a failed campiagn they have already lost last November.

Speaking of Leadership, wasn't it sKerry that attained supplies from otehrs and had someone else ship them in, late, of course, and took credit? Is that what he considers leadership? Laughing Rolling Eyes
arkadyfolkner
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that gripe of sKerry's is just the same old BS he spewed during the election.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With his speech in New Orleans President Bush has isolated the far left and placed them in a position of trying to defend not helping African Americans and others displaced by Katrina.

The President delivered what may go down as one of the greatest speeches in our history that reassured a Nation and especially those who lost their homes, jobs and loved ones.

Kerry's idea of leadership is never having an idea of your own. I am still waiting for Democrats to put forth a plan that is better or any plan at all.

I hope the people of color finally figure out they are feeding a dead Jackass that won't pull a wagon anymore.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a report on the ABC post-speech program I described above:
Quote:
To ABC's Surprise, Katrina Victims Praise
Bush and Blame Nagin

ABC News producers probably didn't hear what they expected when they sent Dean Reynolds to the Houston Astrodome's parking lot to get reaction to President Bush's speech from black evacuees from New Orleans. Instead of denouncing Bush and blaming him for their plight, they praised Bush and blamed local officials. Reynolds asked Connie London: "Did you harbor any anger toward the President because of the slow federal response?" She rejected the premise: "No, none whatsoever, because I feel like our city and our state government should have been there before the federal government was called in." She pointed out: "They had RTA buses, Greyhound buses, school buses, that was just sitting there going under water when they could have been evacuating people."
Not one of the six people interviewed on camera had a bad word for Bush -- despite Reynolds' best efforts. Reynolds goaded: "Was there anything that you found hard to believe that he said, that you thought, well, that's nice rhetoric, but, you know, the proof is in the pudding?" Brenda Marshall answered, "No, I didn't," prompting Reynolds to marvel to anchor Ted Koppel: "Very little skepticism here."

Reynolds pressed another woman: "Did you feel that the President was sincere tonight?" She affirmed: "Yes, he was." Reynolds soon wondered who they held culpable for the levee breaks. Unlike the national media, London did not blame supposed Bush-mandated budget cuts: "They've been allocated federal funds to fix the levee system, and it never got done. I fault the mayor of our city personally. I really do."

[This item was posted late Thursday night on the MRC's blog, NewsBusters.org. To offer a comment, and for a video clip in both RealPlayer and Windows Media formats, as well as an MP3 audio clip, go to this NewsBusters node: newsbusters.org ]

The MRC's Rich Noyes alerted me to the reactions ABC broadcast.

Immediately after Bush finished his speech from Jackson Square in New Orleans, at about 8:26pm local CDT, Ted Koppel, anchor of ABC's hour-long coverage, went to Dean Reynolds who was outside in a parking lot with a group of black people from New Orleans who are living at the Reliant Center next to the Astrodome.

(No names were provided on-screen for those interviewed, so I only have first names for two, and no name for one, of the six.)

Reynolds elicited reaction from the group sitting in chairs: "I'd like to get the reaction of Connie London who spent several horrible hours at the Superdome. You heard the President say repeatedly that you are not alone, that the country stands beside you. Do you believe him?"
Connie London: "Yeah, I believe him, because here in Texas, they have truly been good to us. I mean-"
~SNIP~

Continue reading more of the various 'talking heads' blather at:
http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2005/cyb20050916.asp#1

Scroll down to MSNBC's Scarborough and Brian Williams nitpicking about Bush's choice of the "beautiful park setting" to deliver his speech.
The condescending Brian Wlliams playing the race/class game again:
Quote:
It's their President. They chose the backdrop for a message presumably of hope. I can say, Joe, this. We decided to come cover this hurricane. The difference about this storm was it was headed right for here, and this is a bathtub, and we can look out at the Mississippi at ships at or above, as you know, eye level. We rode out that storm that day with those people in the Superdome. Not all of them lived. And I've said this before on the air, I hope the lesson of this is not that my son and daughter at home have been assigned a different value as humans in the United States than their equivalents here in New Orleans. I would certainly like that not to be true about the country I was raised in, that I have prospered in, and that I love."

OH, PULEEZE Brian, this is not about you!!!!
"They chose the backdrop for a message (PRESUMABLY???) of hope."
But Mr. Williams sermonizes his brave exploits and that a "different value as humans" was assigned (by Bush???) to those in the Superdome!!

You can read on through the rest of the taking heads carping and nitpicking. but what it all comes down to is the media pack has to turn around the "good feelings" from the President's address.
It's like they are saying to one another "Hey guys, the President hit a home run with that speech. People feel good about him, and we've got to work like hell and do our dastardly best to turn it all negative in the next 24 hours."
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little fun from Scrappleface:

http://www.scrappleface.com/

Quote:
Bush Accidentally Delivers Rejected Draft Speech
by Scott Ott
(2005-09-16) -- The White House communications team scrambled this morning to explain how President George Bush accidentally delivered a rejected draft speech in New Orleans last night on national TV.

White House Communications Director Dan Bartlett said he still does not know how the text of an address he had personally rejected as "too DNC" wound up in the president's hands last night.

Many Republicans reacted in shock as all of America heard Mr. Bush promising a series of federal interventions and taxpayer-cash infusions that they said will accelerate the growth of the budget deficit, postpone the administration's commitment to tax cuts and reinforce the "culture of dependency" that conservatives claim to loathe.

As proof of the manuscript mix up, Mr. Bartlett distributed to reporters the text of the speech Mr. Bush should have given.

"My fellow Americans, we have an opportunity to rebuild a region that was devastated by a flood this month, and to renew an American spirit that has been slowly destroyed over six decades."

"The ground in many areas was swept clean, and those returning to plots of land where homes once stood will build a new life from the ground up."

"But as reconstruction begins, rest assured that we're not merely going to re-establish the conditions that led to such deep pockets of poverty in the midst of affluence. We're not going to continue the enslavement of the poor at the hands of seemingly-benevolent politicians who fail to understand the power of faith, freedom and personal responsibility to build vibrant communities on a foundation of strong families."

"In the words of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., it's time to "let freedom ring." It's time to let this area of the south rise up and live out the true meaning of our creed."

"When Dr. King gave his most famous speech in front of the Lincoln Memorial he said the founders of this nation signed "a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the 'unalienable Rights' of 'Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness'."

"Dr. King said the civil rights movement was an effort to 'cash this check, a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice'."

"But today, Dr. King's dream remains unfulfilled for many in the richest land the world has ever seen, because government has substituted one bad check for another. We have replaced the promissory note of freedom and justice, with the public assistance check. The problem is that this new check actually does provide something...a little money. But that government money is counterfeit. It's a cheap replica of a paycheck. It fills the belly, but empties the soul. It buys things, but only in exchange for life, liberty and happiness."

"As Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi rebuild, we're not going to replicate a system in which the government tries to play the provider role of a husband and father. And we will not rebuild programs that reward infidelity, subsidize the drug dealers and strip the dignity of people until they become like animals in a factory farm--trapped in cages, helplessly waiting for the trough to refill."

"Our nation was not built with this kind of system. No nation can long survive its devastating effects."

"There is a principle in our representative republic that the farther away decisions are made, the less effective they are and the more prone to corruption. In other words, a bunch of legislators and bureaucrats in Washington D.C. don't know what's needed and how to provide it as well as you and your neighbors do right there in your hometown. Proximity breeds accountability."

"So, what can a president, or a federal government do. I'll summarize it in three steps...lead, follow and get out of the way:

1) We will lead survivors of the hurricane to embrace the vision and tenacity of the people who conquered the wilderness and built this great nation. We will provide a constant reminder to them that they will, some day soon, look back on this recovery effort with a sense of gratitude and accomplishment -- not because the federal government bailed them out, but because they pulled together in families and communities, across racial and political lines, to get the job done. Leadership is about inspiring new leaders. In the wake of this storm, many new leaders will rise from the mud and rubble, and they will transform the region.

2) Secondly, the federal government will not bypass or try to supplant the role of community groups, churches, private organizations, local and state governments. Rather we will follow them and pick up the responsibilities that nothing short of federal intervention can handle. You may be surprised at how small that role can be.

3) Finally, and most importantly, the federal government will get out of the way. We will knock down bureacratic barriers to progress, eliminate oppressive regulations and lift the burden of confiscatory taxes in the region affected by the hurricane."

"The spirit of America is a spirit of dependence upon our creator, partnership with our neighbor and rugged independence from government interference. Over the past six decades, thanks to government policies, many people have lost touch with that spirit. Generations have been born knowing the American spirit only as stories in a history book...as if they were describing some other land, some alien people."

"Words like 'pioneer', 'trailblazer' and 'settler' are distant shadows, replaced by words like 'victim', 'refugee', 'recipient', 'dependent'."

"Sometimes I wonder how much greater America would be if we had not been dragged down for the first four score and seven years by our addiction to slavery. I wonder how much more magnificent our nation might have been if the poisonous effects of racial injustice hadn't lingered so long after President Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation."

"What if we had started this country with freedom and justice for all?"

In a sense, that's what can happen here in the South. Our brothers and sisters will rebuild these communities from the ground up, but on more solid ground. They'll build on a better foundation. And they will remind us of what this nation is made of, and of what it can be. In the process, they will become an inspiration to all of those around the world who still yearn for freedom and justice."

"Tonight, here in New Orleans, as I stand in a devastated region...I see the new American frontier. The gates of opportunity swing wide and my fellow Americans have a chance to build great cities and communities using equipment and methods that the early pioneers couldn't even dream of. It's a new frontier rich in resources, with equal opportunity and equal justice for all."

"Thank you. God bless you. And may God continue to bless the United States of America."
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a couple of boards that have folks with a left lean to them.
So far this morning, there hasn't been anything going on about the
Bush speech. Actually, I'm hoping that there isn't on my high school
board because I want to talk about other stuff and the Commiecrats
tend to suck up all the oxygen.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if you read the speech (Transcript) it was not really so different from Scrappleface's satire. The President did not say "give a man a fish" but rather "let us help him to provide for himself." It is a great opportunity to show that a Conservative policy of home ownership and entrepreneurship (enterprise zones) can reverse the failed dependency enslavement policies of the Left for the last fifty years. He invokes the 'can do spirit' that has made this country great!

Captain Ed has a good review and readers comments:
Quote:
~SNIP~

I think delivering it from New Orleans itself sends a powerful message. Despite the not unreasonable misgivings of many, Bush passionately committed himself and the nation to rebuilding the city, "higher and better". Part of doing it better in Bush's vision is to rethink the economics of the area, and the new economic model will eventually vindicate Bush.

Many have noticed the poverty of New Orleans as one of the factors in the ability to quickly evacuate the area. He proposed to make the entire Katrina disaster area a Gulf Opportunity Zone, using economic and tax incentives to draw businesses (especially, one presumes, manufacturing) to the area. Bush also wants Congress to fund business loans for small-business start-ups and do-overs in order to quickly reconstitute a solid middle-class for the economic restoration of the area. That will create jobs, which combined with smart use of funds for mortgages and building, can transform the region into a model for Bush's ownership society. In a relatively short period of time, the government may start recouping its investment through better tax revenues and an economically healthier and more diverse New Orleans and Gulf Coast region.

Call it the No City Left Behind strategy, if you will.

Bush delivered another brilliant and overdue message in asking for everyone in this nation to contribute and sacrifice for this effort. Everyone, he reminded us, can play a part in the resurrection of the Katrina area; all we need to do is ask, and our talents will find a way to apply. He called all of us to enlist in "this great national enterprise," a call that didn't clearly ring out from 9/11. Then, the Bush administration wanted to help us return to a sense of normalcy, an understandable but shortsighted impulse. Now he asks us to share a sense of mission, an impulse that resonates with Americans and our history, both good and bad, over the two centuries of our existence.

The hour has gotten a bit late, but I welcome the opportunity to engage in a positive manner in this enterprise. The President waited a few days too long to engage the public, but in the end, his efforts will overcome the initial stumbles. This speech puts him well on his way.

Captain's Quarters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: