SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big fires in California

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Big fires in California Reply with quote

As I sit here drinking my morning coffee and trying to figure out how to keep the bills paid on my meager disbility pay for a broken back, the news is listing the names of the filthy rich hollywood liberal types whose homes are in danger. Sorry, I cannot feel sorry for people whose breakfast will cost more than my monthly budget. These are the same liberals that spew their anti-american garbage, but DEMAND the government show up and save them. When you can afford to build a multi million dollar home in an area that is not accessable to firefighters, maybe you should install a firefighting system of your own.
Last year in the mud slides they interviewed a woman whose 3 million dollar home slid down the hill. They built this house in an area known for mud slides, and when asked if she had insurance she said 'no, its to expensive at close to $50,000 a year because this is such a bad area!! So, you can afford a 3 million dollar home, but can't afford the insurance and then she was expecting the government would bail her out and help her rebuild in the same spot. DUH
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the late '40s, my father bought a house on top of a ridge in
Redlands, California. I had a steady job choping brush and dad would
plant ice plant and other ground cover on the slope. We also had a
cement tile roof and the house was stucco. We managed to weather
one brush fire because we had our brush cleared back. No sympathy
whatsoever for those Topanga Canyon idiots who don't even take basic
precautions against these fires. Also, you get what you ask for when
you have cedar shakes on top of your house.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder just how many of them are to cheap/stupid to have a gas fired water pump to pump the pool water? Wink
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard Charlie Sheen's house might be in trouble Crying or Very sad Im going to help him out by recommending a nice football stadium! maybe throw in a few mri's and a jug of his favorite french drinking water! Wink
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are tough on the poor widdle wich folks. Very Happy Very Happy

The stadium to evac to got me rolling on the floor. Good lick.

Dusty
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't you heard? Karl Rove conspired with Conservative Wacko Mother Nature to aim Santa Ana winds at liberals with the intent of killing them ala the "murder of blacks in NOLA". The villanous Rove, having mastered Wind and Fire wil now enlist Earth with a directed tremor involving the Bay area followed by a compact with Air to smother more blacks around Detroit. Shocked Laughing Shocked Laughing
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Big fires in California Reply with quote

When you just can't afford to clear the brush to protect your home, you have to get back to the basics. Since the Union Employee Pension is about to bankrupt San Diego, they decided to use Goats to accomplish the task!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:
Rancher's 225 animals munch on shrubbery in Chula Vista
By Mark Arner
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
October 1, 2005
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20051001-9999-2m1goats.html

NELVIN CEPEDA / Union-Tribune
Johnny Gonzales' goats grazed yesterday on a lot on Telegraph Canyon Road in Chula Vista. Gonzales has 225 goats doing fire control work.

CHULA VISTA – Jamul rancher Johnny Gonzales and his border collie Poncho worked up a sweat moving 225 goats onto a steep slope near the Chula Vista Elks Lodge to chew away fire hazards.

"We worked like the dickens to put up fencing and get the goats off the asphalt parking lot," Gonzales said.

The manager of the Rocky Spot Ranch was taking a break Thursday as his herd munched down virtually all shrubbery or dead leaves in its path.

The rancher pointed out with satisfaction how hundreds of yards of the slope – just south of Telegraph Canyon Road at Elks Lane – had been cleared of most underbrush. Just that morning, he said, the roughly 100-foot-high slope was so choked with weeds it was impassable.

It marked the start of a pilot project authorized by the Chula Vista Fire Department, said Bernard Gonzales, a spokesman for the Elks.

For the first time in Chula Vista, he said, goats have been given government permission to remove plants that pose a fire hazard. They turn the shrubbery into a kind of manure – comically dubbed "goat berries" by the rancher – that is hard to ignite.

About 90 percent of the herd is female, the rancher said. The rest are mostly castrated males. Male goats that can breed usually distract the herd, he said, and less shrubbery is eaten.

The Elks Lodge is spending $15,000 to clear 10 acres of shrubbery during the next three weeks. That includes charges for human crews to remove some large dry weeds. The goats are the cheapest part: $2.50 per goat, per day.

Using humans or machines would have cost about $70,000, the lodge spokesman said.

Three weeks ago, the San Diego City Council authorized a $5 million fire-protection plan that would include the use of goats to thin miles of brush. While relatively rare in San Diego County, the use of goats to clear weeds has become popular in Riverside, San Bernardino and Los Angeles counties, Johnny Gonzales said.

Obtaining permission from Chula Vista required extensive environmental and legal review. The project was proposed in January and city officials granted permission just this week, the rancher said.

Officials require monitoring by a biologist, he said, to ensure that goats don't eat rare plants or trees.

SBD
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there I was thinking they were into burning the brush off.

Twisted Evil

Dusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: