SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did anyone catch the spat between Brit Hume and Julian?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonhyo
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Did anyone catch the spat between Brit Hume and Julian? Reply with quote

I heard snipets that Brit Hume really laid into Juian?(NPR lefty) on Fox Sunday, but haven't gotten the whole story. Anyone know more about this? I know everyone who couldn't be in D.C was watching the great show on Cspan on Sunday. I only wish that I could have been there. Still having a hard time finding a way to really thank the troops. If I had a million dollars, I would fly their family to them for a visit.
Thanks to all of you for a great education, that I could never have dreamt of receiving at this stage of my life - OLD
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need to find a user friendly (really friendly) recording machine, I seem to miss the good stuff lately. I got a vcr but its such a hassle to set up, I dont have time to mess around. There was a flap between BOR and Phil Donahue that I missed and I know the feeling! Crying or Very sad
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drat! I missed it. But this isn't the first time Brit has mopped up the floor with Juan. I believe it was the previous Sunday that they had a heated discussion also. IMHO, Brit bested Williams.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bystander wrote:
Drat! I missed it. But this isn't the first time Brit has mopped up the floor with Juan. I believe it was the previous Sunday that they had a heated discussion also. IMHO, Brit bested Williams.

For those of you who might not know Brit Hume is the News director of Fox News. He is the big cheese. This is important because Brit doesn't dance before the camera like the anchors do. Being conservative he is confident in himself as opposed to the Rather type who have to be reassured at all times and be performing before an audience to be reminded of their worth. Brit is a class act thus far and hope he continues it.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a battle of wits Juan is clearly defensless. He can always be counted on to make inane observations and clueless commentary. Only NPR would put this joker on the masthead. But, every show needs a resident jerk: MASH had Frank Burns, WKRP had Herb, Cheers had Cliff so, Brit has Juan.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it too-
you can view it here:

http://thepoliticalteen.net/2005/10/02/jwillbenn/
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with most contentious issues, there are predictable emphases on elements of "truth" coming from both perspectives. After viewing this segment (thanks to rdtf), my overriding reaction was that this was a rather lamentable demonstration of the polarization on issues of race in this country.

Contrary to what appears to be a consensus here, I thought Juan Williams equipped himself quite well in this discussion, as did Brit Hume, but I was struck by the inner "hurt" that was all-too-obvious in both their faces throughout, especially Williams' visage near the end of the discussion. It was genuine and it was painful to see.

Were I to look for my "consensus" in the discussion, I would opt for Bill Kristol's observation, stated several times, that though Bennett may have been dealing in some type of antiseptic "academic" exercise, he touched a third-rail that he most probably regrets and should have had the smarts to avoid.

In short, I'd blame both parties in this imbroglio...

• An untenable and, ultimately, destructive level of African-American hypersensitivity, arguably justifiably so, that may preclude anything but the most benign (and fruitless) discussion of even the legitimacy of race and crime statistical analysis. In our current climate, this is a cultural "no-man's land".

• Bennett's unfortunate (but undeveloped) focus on race as opposed to economic class as a causation for crime...simply an intemperate, injudicious, world-class broadcasting boner.

note: This is the third reiteration of this issue in this forum. I urge participants in this topic to display a level of "judiciousness" that, IMHO, escaped Mr. Bennett's due consideration.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10: BUMP, BUMP, BUMP! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: