SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Needs an Act of Congress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Needs an Act of Congress Reply with quote

I just watched a video on msnbc.. only because of the subject. An Air Force dog handler and her dog were involved in a roadside bombing, she was hurt badly enough she may have to medically retire. At first she was told her dog had died, but found out he hadn't. So now she wants to adopt him and it will take an Act of Congress to allow it. This is because the dog is still on active duty as it were and Congress has to pass a bill releasing him early. I have placed a call to my congressman and senator to ask them to help with this. They were together for 3 years and survived an IED together, I think they should be allowed to retire together too.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good project. Maybe Fox will pick it up. That sounds like just the kind of story they like.
Exposure to the public should do the trick.

Dusty
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it was an act of congress that had K9 designated as equipment after the 2nd War. Apparently some senator thought it was inappropriate for the military to honor, decorate or honorably retire war dogs as they had in the two World Wars.

-Wlm Shakespeare
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that story too. I have written my Congressman. It seems to me that given her life-altering sacrifice in the service to our country, her request should be granted. I urged that the Congress should act. I fully understand that these trained dogs are a valuable asset, but we're not talking about some million dollar piece of equipment. Surely the comfort that she can derive from keeping the dog that she has bonded with is the least that we can do for her.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: