SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: West Wing Actor Dies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Off Topic: West Wing Actor Dies Reply with quote

WEST WING ACTOR JOHN SPENCER DIES OF A HEART ATTACK AT THE AGE OF 58

More details at Fox News

I never watched the show, but I am saddened to hear about John Spencer. May he rest in peace.

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must confess to being a closet watcher of "West Wing". Even though it portrays a Democrat administration, it goes fairly light on criticism of Republicans except for the current season in which a lovable Democrat Jimmy Smits is running against a darkish Republican Alan Alda for the Presidency as the current President Bartlett's second term is winding down.

The strength of the program lies in top-notch writing (in the earlier seasons) of Aaron Sorkin and superb acting and production values. John Spencer's portrayal of Bartlett's Chief of Staff was outstanding. The series accurately depicts the frenetic lives of the White House staff in coping with domestic and foreign problems against a backdrop of the constant political challenges.

Especially well-depicted are Situation Room crises in which Defense Secretaries, State Secretaries, NSA chiefs, Joint Chiefs, etc., argue over tactics and strategies in dealing with international threats. Viewing these sessions gives one a sense of who should and should not be considered presidential material in real life.

It's tough at times to put aside the execrable real-life Martin Sheen when viewing his Bartlett, but he is a consummate actor.

I would recommend anyone to watch "West Wing"'s first seasons for its well-done theatrical presentation. (Bravo cable channel runs them continuously on Mondays in many markets.) John Spencer was the real star of "West Wing" and he will be missed. It will be interesting to see how the writers handle John's absence since he was currently running for election as Smits' Vice President. (Maybe the whole season is 'in the can' already.)

Schadow
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never know. They have done some nutty things on TV. They might do what they did with the Bewitched series years ago when Dick York left the show due to severe back issues. They brought in Dick Seargent who was similiar in looks and presence, however, I always preferred Dick York. They may do that with West Wing. Who knows.... Question

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: