SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hostage Held in Iraq Is Former Marine>update-executed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Hostage Held in Iraq Is Former Marine>update-executed! Reply with quote

AP via ABC News

Quote:
Hostage Held in Iraq Is Former Marine
American Shown As Hostage in Iraq on Insurgent Video Is Former Marine, High School Athlete

By DAVE KOLPACK Associated Press Writer

JAMESTOWN, N.D. Dec 7, 2005 — A man shown as a hostage on an insurgent video is an ex-Marine who traveled around the world as an industrial electrician, and who impressed people who knew him in high school with his toughness.

Ronald Schulz was the captain of his high school cross country team and a four-year letter winner who won an award for practicing on 77 consecutive days, said Russ Schmeichel, who was his coach at Jamestown High School.

"He was a hard-nosed little guy who like to compete," Schmeichel said. "He wasn't a big star, but he was a strong, steady kid."

Family and friends said Schulz, 40, is the blond, Western-looking man sitting with his hands tied behind his back in a video broadcast Tuesday by the Arab television network Al-Jazeera. The video, bearing the logo of the insurgent Islamic Army, claimed insurgents had kidnapped a U.S. security consultant.

The video also showed a U.S. passport and an Arabic identification card with the name Ronald Schulz, but the spelling of the name was uncertain because it was written in Arabic.

<snip>

Schulz served in the Marine Corps from 1984 to 1991, his brother said, and after his discharge he moved to the Anchorage, Alaska, suburb of Eagle River.

"He came up here alone, and bought a big house," and hung a large U.S. Marine Corps banner in the front window, family friend Bonny Stark said.

Stark, said Schulz, who is divorced, keeps a low profile, but is "quick to smile, very quiet and mellow, into camping and fishing and hunting and hiking, rock climbing."

She described Schulz as "the ultimate Boy Scout" but wondered why anyone would take him hostage.
"He doesn't know any military secrets," she said.

Ed Schulz, 42, said the FBI had asked family members to give reporters only limited information on his younger brother.

"I don't want to get my brother killed,"
Ed Schulz said. "But the fact that he has blond hair and blue eyes might get him killed."

CBS news has pic & video, when story 1st reported

"I don't want to get my brother killed,"
then just maybe he should have listened to the FBI, and kept this information to himself.

This can't help his situation, at all.
FReepers have been blasting emails to AP & ABC news (as did I) do they have NO sense not to publish information such as this to the kidnappers

Last edited by kate on Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:36 am; edited 3 times in total
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As yet unconfirmed bad news is now being reported...

Quote:
Iraq Insurgents Claim to Kill U.S. Hostage
Dec 08 11:55 AM US/Eastern

CAIRO, Egypt - An Iraqi insurgent group said Thursday in an Internet posting that it killed a U.S. security consultant it had taken hostage. The claim's authenticity could not be immediately verified. The Islamic Army in Iraq said it had killed "the American security consultant for the Housing Ministry," after the United States failed to respond to its demand of the release of Iraqi prisoners.

A video issued by the group was aired Tuesday on the Arab television station Al-Jazeera showing the hostage _ identified as Ronald Schulz, 40, an industrial electrician from Alaska _ sitting with his hands tied behind his back.

Thursday's statement, posted on an Islamic militant Web forum, did not identify the hostage and provided no evidence he had been killed, but said pictures of the slaying would be released later.

Schulz graduated from Jamestown, N.D., High School in 1983, then joined the Marines. His brother, Ed, said he served in the Marine Corps from 1984 to 1991 and after his discharge, moved to the Anchorage, Alaska, suburb of Eagle River.

Breitbart.com
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother in-law went over there, hes an industrial electrician with white hair and blue eyes. He will be coming home the first--for good, I have two younger sisters and was never able too give big brother too little brother advice. I finally got my chance, I said "Alan, your a friggin idiot" Shocked
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the barbarians were getting bad press for beheadings, so they shot him...!!

telegraph
Video 'shows cold-blooded killing of kidnapped US contractor'
By Oliver Poole in Baghdad
(Filed: 20/12/2005)
Quote:

A barabaric video believed to show the killing of Ronald Schulz, an American security contractor kidnapped in Iraq two weeks ago, was released on the internet yesterday

It depicts a man with his hands handcuffed behind his back and blindfolded by an Arab headdress kneeling in an empty, open area of dirt.
A gunman standing two yards behind him then shoots him in the back of the head, toppling the figure to the ground, before his body is then shot repeatedly.

Although the victim cannot be identified, any hope that the former US marine may still be alive appears extinguished by a picture of him alive that appears on a split screen as the footage is aired. His identity card is shown briefly.

The Islamic Army in Iraq claimed responsibility for his death.

this still from the video does seem to be him - blond hair....

commentary from washingtontimes
Quote:
By Frank J. Gaffney Jr.
December 20, 2005
The news from Iraq at this writing features a video of a terrorist murdering a man believed to be a kidnapped American civilian. The victim was trying to help rebuild that country. His coldblooded execution is a reminder of what our Islamofascist enemies have in mind for all of us, non-Islamist Muslims and non-Muslims alike.

Perhaps the murder was committed by putting a bullet in our countryman's head, rather than removing it, in deference to the recently disclosed injunction from an al Qaeda leader to one of his franchisees in Iraq that beheadings have proven counterproductive to the cause.

The question now occurs: Will the image of a man's brains being blown out prove less discomfiting to American viewers than that of a decapitation? Or will they be shaken from their growing complacency by this latest reminder of what we are up against?
Will this episode provide vital context for them, and their leaders, at a time when many indulge in increasing paroxysms about the steps taken by President Bush and his administration to protect us against such enemies?

The latest example is the swivet produced by the New York Times' publication on Friday of an article disclosing the National Security Agency had been monitoring the international calls and e-mails of certain unnamed people in this country without warrants. The newspaper had sat on the leak of this highly classified program for a year, then calculatedly released it the day the Senate was to vote on re-enacting the Patriot Act.

<snipped.

kate
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the video -- the murder of Ronald Schulz.
Although not "officially" ID'd,, he has the same hair, same clothes as when captured, it's pretty obvious

This video, and others like it, should be required viewing for all the congresscritters. These murderers are the people they would have us coddle and comfort. When we catch up with them let us remember not to torture or even humiliate them.

Once a Marine, always a Marine. Semper Fi! Ronald Schulz, and God rest your soul. Prayers to his family as they await confirmation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: