SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peggy Noonan on the MSM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Peggy Noonan on the MSM Reply with quote

This article was written for the Wall Street Journal and is reproduced in Opinion Journal. She makes a blanket statement in her headline implying the MSM is universal in supporting the troops. I don't necessarily agree with that. I think many MSM outlets say that without meaning it, trying to be politically correct. Nevertheless, the article is vintage Noonan and worth a read.

Quote:
PEGGY NOONAN

One Cheer for the MSM

The media may be biased, but even they support the troops.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 12:01 a.m. EST

We all criticize the mainstream media, regularly and with reason. More and more and day by day the MSM is showing us that its response to the popularity of conservative media and the rise of alternative news sources is to become less carefully liberal. What in the past had to be hidden is now announced.

This is not necessarily bad: it makes things better by making them clearer. I didn't enjoy their ideological smuggling. Now they're more like free-market people: Here are my liberal wares, if you want to buy them buy them, if not the Fox News stall is down the street, buy their faulty product and curses on you!

Fine with me, except that as a consumer of news I think they're making a mistake. In a time of endless opinion, fact is king. Fact is rarer, harder to come by, more valuable. If only the MSM understood what money and power there are to be had from being famously nonideological, from being a famously reliable pursuer and presenter of fact. Wouldn't it be great if that were the next new thing?

But let's put old arguments aside. In the tension over bias a great deal can be lost. One of those things is just praise for work that comes from the MSM that is not only excellent and truthful but profoundly in the public interest. Work that is difficult and that demanded from the workers a level of professionalism that suggests a kind of love, maybe for the craft, maybe for the object of their efforts. Maybe both.

An example is a joint venture by Time and the Rocky Mountain News on the families of fallen servicemen in Iraq. Time gives it a beautiful spread on its Web site; the News provided the story and photos. Look at the level of craftsmanship, even art, from the editors, writer, photographer. Look at the work that went into it. It could not have been anything but a labor of love.

The Time version has been speeding all over the Web. The Rocky Mountain News version is more comprehensive in terms of text, and offers this comment from Maj. Steven Beck, the Marine who stood with Second Lt. Jim Cathey's widow, Katherine, as his coffin was unloaded from the cargo hold of the commercial flight while everyone looked out the windows. He said, "See the people in the windows? They're going to remember being on that plane for the rest of their lives. They're going to remember bringing the Marine home. And they should."

Reporter Jim Sheeler of the News was there on the tarmac with Maj. Beck and Mrs. Cathey. He looked at the people on the plane, and wrote, "Inside the plane they couldn't hear the screams." Photographer Todd Heisler took the pictures. They are powerful on their own, as is Mr. Sheeler's reporting, and don't require commentary.

I'd add only this. We're lucky, aren't we? Those who are not in the field fighting, those who are not at home worrying or mourning. We're lucky.

All of us who are not in Iraq or Afghanistan are the people on the plane. We're watching; we feel respect and regard. We are awed by what the men and women on the field are doing. But we are of course detached by distance. We are protected from what is happening on the ground. It was ever thus. Soldiers fight and soldiers die and people back at home, in their safety, think about but cannot know what it is like to be there on the field. We think about but do not know, most of us, what it is to lose someone there, on the field.

And all we can do is say thank you. And it couldn't possibly be enough.

There's a thing a reporter told me the other day that makes me want to say thank you, too. She'd gone to interview mothers in Ohio who'd lost sons in Iraq. The mothers were as varied as their sons had been in terms of experience, personality, views. Some of the mothers were very much in support of Iraq. Some were not. One of those who'd come to oppose the war started to speak, in her interview, of her opposition. She faltered. A pro-war mother encouraged her. She said something like, 'We all have our right to our views, you go ahead, honey.' The reporter was pierced by the tenderness of it, the fairness of it, the very Americanness of it. Once again: What a country.

One of the great and historic things about this war is that whatever you think of it, justified or not, the right decision or not, no one--no one--has decided it is right to emotionally abandon the fighters in the field. This, as we know, is different from what happened in Vietnam, when a generation of those who served were given in response the distanced disrespect of a certain portion of our country. Everyone feels bad about that, and should. But amazingly enough we seem to have learned from it. Almost everyone knows--and the very small number who don't know at least know enough to go off and be quiet--that the men and women on the field are fighting for us, serving us, that they are putting themselves in harm's way with courage, that they deserve to be patronized by no one, that they deserve honor from all.

This is a wonderful thing. On this December these men and women are a self-given gift to the nation. Thank you men and women of the armed forces of the United States of America. Merry Christmas to you, happy holidays; stay safe, come home.

Thank you. It's small and not enough but it is so meant, and by all of us.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/

Schadow
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peggy's columns drop to my email. I've pondered this a couple of days. I must be missing something here. As I read this she's praising coffin chasers with good cut-lines and ignoring the heard of demoflacks, know-nothings who have a checkoff for 'hate the military' on their PQS.

Don't get me wrong. I've admired Peggy since she joined Reagan (and I in another life worked for Lyn Nofziger). That's why I'm mystified. Never has she passed to my mind a bad turn of phrase, a bad thesis. But, I don't get it!

Can someone explain?

-Wlm Shakespeare
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Noonan is usually quite articulate. I missed the message here as well.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Waking" the dead

Ms. Noonan's "point" lies here...

Quote:
In the tension over bias a great deal can be lost. One of those things is just praise for work that comes from the MSM that is not only excellent and truthful but profoundly in the public interest.

This turn of phrase clearly suggests the obverse, that there is MSM work that is neither excellent NOR truthful. Nor does the existence of, perhaps, some quality work on Page A17 mitigate the odious and dominant left-wing ideology now permeating MSM "news reportage".

So how to characterize her...eulogy?

"Never speak ill of the dead" comes to mind.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the basic flaw in this writing is her attempt to cover two separate subjects in one piece. The first section has to do with the supposed realization by the MSM that they are losing readership (read: money) and, in view of the rising influence of the blogosphere, are taking a softer stance in their editorial position.

I sure can't verify this since I don't read the "dominant" rags (our hometown fish wrapper is bad enough) but perhaps Noonan detects it.

The second part of her piece is a true tribute to the fallen but starts it with a segue from the MSM piece, lauding Time and the Rocky Mountain News for their project, thereby justifying her feeling that the MSM is softening.

She's a media pro and it's hard to argue with her sense of what's going on, but this piece is, as others have observed, a bit mystifying.

Schadow
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The media reports bad news, and most are anti Bush....
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the tension over bias a great deal can be lost. One of those things is just praise for work that comes from the MSM that is not only excellent and truthful but profoundly in the public interest.

excellent and truthful?
Jimmy Massey – just one example , the list is infinite

profoundly in the public interest?
1) “rendition" prisons
2) wire taps on al Qaeda/US phone calls
3) radiation monitoring
classified programs blown is profoundly in the public interest?? I don’t think so Peggy. The LSM may get us all killed while they defend the public’s right to know. Freedom of the press comes with responsibility. They've crossed over that point of being in the public interest…...repeatedly.

dunno if her statements were tongue-in-cheek?
Sounds more like a fluff piece in a lame attempt to give some credibility to the LSM. If so, she’s in denial that the Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column in the WOT...and what a disappointment from her.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kate wrote:
Quote:

excellent and truthful?

I think that Noonan was trying to say that an occasional praiseworthy nugget appears in the MSM and it gets overlooked because of the preponderance of left wing hate that jumps out at us.

As much as we tend to doubt it, there's probably no news medium that presents all crap, all the time.

Schadow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: