SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reuters: US probes leak of domestic eavesdropping program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reuters: US probes leak of domestic eavesdropping program Reply with quote

The "other shoe" has dropped...gonna be one heckuva ruckus...

Quote:
US probes leak of domestic eavesdropping program
Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:30 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department has launched an investigation to see who disclosed a secret NSA eavesdropping operation, department officials said on Friday.

"We are opening an investigation into the unauthorized disclosure of classified materials related to the NSA," one official said.

Reuters
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It better be a bigger Ruckus than was made over Sandy Burglar. I am skeptical. One of the weaknesses we've seen in the last couple of years is an aversion to prosecuting this kind of thing. If a few arses got nailed to the wall instead of a Tut-Tut this stuff would cease. How about some hard time for criminal activity where it is real. We have some serious leakers here that need to be squashed.
P.S. 12:00 The defenders are now saying these are legitimate whistleblowers at work and the Govt has no right to know who they are. Figures.
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By hard time, I hope they mean 20 or 30 years in a federal maximum security prison with no time off for good behavior.
I wish this was a declared war so they could shoot the SOBs.
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
It better be a bigger Ruckus than was made over Sandy Burglar. I am skeptical. One of the weaknesses we've seen in the last couple of years is an aversion to prosecuting this kind of thing. If a few arses got nailed to the wall instead of a Tut-Tut this stuff would cease. How about some hard time for criminal activity where it is real. We have some serious leakers here that need to be squashed.
P.S. 12:00 The defenders are now saying these are legitimate whistleblowers at work and the Govt has no right to know who they are. Figures.

BuffaloJack wrote:
By hard time, I hope they mean 20 or 30 years in a federal maximum security prison with no time off for good behavior.
I wish this was a declared war so they could shoot the SOBs.

If it were up to me, I would make a public display of their hanging... to make the traitors to the country's national security think twice about revealing our National Security...

Might be harsh, but a point has to be made (and a line drawn)...
I don't see the terrorists even getting near our standards.
Evil or Very Mad
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
The defenders are now saying these are legitimate whistleblowers at work and the Govt has no right to know who they are. Figures.

"Whistleblower" is usually defined as someone who reports illegal activity. This is not illegal activity. In this case, "traitor" is a more apt term.

The damage that could be done by the AG's investigation would consist of the necessity of hearing classified testimony behind sieve-like "closed doors" from which we can expect further erosion of national security through leaks.

There are those who claim that the Constitution is a living document. In that light maybe it's time to revisit the First Amendment's unfettered sanctity of the press. Our nation and our very lives are materially affected by this wanton spilling of secrets.

Schadow
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to hear the Dems argument in court....but your honor..the president doesn't have the authority to be president.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely it is one of the Clinton appointees to the various agencies around DC. Porter Goss is still trying to cull them out of the CIA. State has never really begun to cull the herd, DoD has with only minor success and who knows who ended up in the NSA. Damn civil service rules.

The good thing about this investigation is the level of the classification breach, "Above Top Secret". This limits the circle of who were authorized with a need to know the overall plan. Security issues in the government are compartmentalized for a reason; the fewer who know the less chance of a compromise.

The list Justice is using for an investigation is most likely only half a page long for a project this classified.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that they already know, within a 90% certainty, who the culprits are, and are now engaged in the process of nailing them up tight.
And I also suspect that it is very likely that at least one of the the main players will turn out to be a high profile Senator (not kerry).
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagle wrote:
I suspect that they already know, within a 90% certainty, who the culprits are, and are now engaged in the process of nailing them up tight.
And I also suspect that it is very likely that at least one of the the main players will turn out to be a high profile Senator (not kerry).

I tend to agree, but this reluctance to take on reprehensible behavior by certain politicos has to stop. If the actions are criminal, prosecute them as they would if they were any other citizen. If the people responsible are Senators, Congressman or high level political brokers of either party, they need to be dealt with as it is worse in their case. A mistake was made when Sandy Burglar was given a pass. This guy should have been hammered for what he did. He got a slap on the behind.

I agree it isn't Kerry, he does know enough, as he doesn't go to briefings and really doesn't care plus isn't that stupid. Three I can think of are arrogant and ambitious enough to be that stupid.

Last edited by GM Strong on Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeze, sounds like a Clancy book. What will probably be found is a low level staffer though anyone who followed the Echelon story would have a pretty good handle on the technology used and its pretty durn obvious if it was available then it would be used elsewhere.

Probably a good clue on all this mess is the movie from the book "Clear and Present Danger". Change the countries and targets and its spelled out so well as to slap ya up side the head.

With that said, all the reporter has to testify to is doing a bit of comparative analysis. Sad
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that the NYT reporters received, through anonymous mail, copies of classified documents relating to the NSA operation which had been redacted to remove marks which would identify office of origin, etc. A sort of Sandy Burglar operation. With such a scoop on their hands, I doubt the NYT would insist on the usual journalistic niceties such as dual-sourcing.

I suppose the NYT or the reporters, individually, could be prosecuted for revealing classified information but the Daniel Ellsberg "Pentagon Papers" precedents might shield them. In any case, the identities of the original leakers would be invisible. Mad

Schadow
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only to stop this stuff is to convict someone and throw away the key..
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadow wrote:
GM Strong wrote:
The defenders are now saying these are legitimate whistleblowers at work and the Govt has no right to know who they are. Figures.

"Whistleblower" is usually defined as someone who reports illegal activity. This is not illegal activity. In this case, "traitor" is a more apt term.

The damage that could be done by the AG's investigation would consist of the necessity of hearing classified testimony behind sieve-like "closed doors" from which we can expect further erosion of national security through leaks.

There are those who claim that the Constitution is a living document. In that light maybe it's time to revisit the First Amendment's unfettered sanctity of the press. Our nation and our very lives are materially affected by this wanton spilling of secrets.

Schadow

Well Schmucky Shumer has spoken. Hey Schmucky, what is your definition of Whistleblower?? I'm sure it isn't what most of is think.

From Fox News:
WASHINGTON — The investigation into who leaked information about a National Security Agency secret wiretapping program on potential terror suspects needs to focus on the motivation behind the leak, a Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee said Sunday.

"There are differences between felons and whistleblowers, and we ought to wait 'til the investigation occurs to decide what happened," Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., told FOX News' Sunday.

GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
Schadow wrote:
GM Strong wrote:

Schadow

Well Schmucky Shumer has spoken. Hey Schmucky, what is your definition of Whistleblower?? I'm sure it isn't what most of is think.

From Fox News:
WASHINGTON — The investigation into who leaked information about a National Security Agency secret wiretapping program on potential terror suspects needs to focus on the motivation behind the leak, a Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee said Sunday.

"There are differences between felons and whistleblowers, and we ought to wait 'til the investigation occurs to decide what happened," Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., told FOX News' Sunday.

The leaker has to be a congress person, because of the classified nature of the program and thus his differences must be construed as Republicans are felons and Democrats are whisteblowers.

We are at war with an enemy who will never stop until we are all dead or Muslim and here at home we have people on the Hill playing politics in order to cause damage to the Republican majority as opposed to protecting America?

I pray the moderate Democrat wake-up and demand a reformation of their party before we lose this country of ours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: