SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OK.. waited for someone else to post this, but didn't happen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: OK.. waited for someone else to post this, but didn't happen Reply with quote

Quote:
By DAVID BAUDER
AP Television Writer

PASADENA, Calif.

Former CBS anchor Walter Cronkite, whose 1968 conclusion that the Vietnam War was unwinnable keenly influenced public opinion then, said Sunday he'd say the same thing today about Iraq.

"It's my belief that we should get out now," Cronkite said in a meeting with reporters.

Now 89, the television journalist once known as "the most trusted man in America" has been off the "CBS Evening News" for nearly a quarter- century. He's still a CBS News employee, although he does little for them.

Cronkite said one of his proudest moments came at the end of a 1968 documentary he made following a visit to Vietnam during the Tet offensive. Urged by his boss to briefly set aside his objectivity to give his view of the situation, Cronkite said the war was unwinnable and that the U.S. should exit.

Then-President Lyndon Johnson reportedly told a White House aide after that, "If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost Middle America."

The best time to have made a similar statement about Iraq came after Hurricane Katrina, he said.

"We had an opportunity to say to the world and Iraqis after the hurricane disaster that Mother Nature has not treated us well and we find ourselves missing the amount of money it takes to help these poor people out of their homeless situation and rebuild some of our most important cities in the United States," he said. "Therefore, we are going to have to bring our troops home."

Iraqis should have been told that "our hearts are with you" and that the United States would do all it could to rebuild their country, he said.

"I think we could have been able to retire with honor," he said. "In fact, I think we can retire with honor anyway."

Cronkite has spoken out against the Iraq war in the past, saying in 2004 that Americans weren't any safer because of the invasion.

Cronkite, who is hard of hearing and walks haltingly, jokingly said that "I'm standing by if they want me" to anchor the "CBS Evening News." CBS is still searching for a permanent successor to Dan Rather, who replaced Cronkite in March 1981.

"Twenty-four hours after I told CBS News that I was stepping down at my 65th birthday I was already regretting it and I've regretted it every day since," he said. "It's too good a job for me to have given it up the way that I did."

Braindead loser... I honestly thought he died a decade ago....

>.<

link:http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/01/16/D8F5JJ5O0.html
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all over the press this morning!

He and Messeur Kerry seem to be having allot of 'flashbacks' this season.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it, but I don't really care what Cronkite has to to say any more than I care what Jimmuh thinks about foreign policy or anything else for that matter.
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Most Trusted Man in America"? That title was "earned" before the internet and blogoshere. Who knows how much BS CBS gave the American public then but we had no way of knowing.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another CBS dinosaur showed up on Russert's Saturday show. Mike Wallace is pitching his book of interviews from the past and thankfully avoids any comment on the present.

Some typical exchanges:

Russert: Did you know Jack Kennedy?

Wallace: Know him? I went to grade school with him!

R: Well, what was he like as a man?

W: I didn't really know him very well.

----or---

R: Did you know Nixon.

W: We got on well. He offered me a job as his press agent.

R: What was he like as a man?

W: I didn't really know him well.

Sorry for the paraphrasing but you get the picture. Four times he responded to a Russert question with "Uhh...Help this old man. What were we talking about?" It was not an inspiring book promotion.

-Wlm Shakespeare
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Seems to me............ Reply with quote

Seems like there are a lot of dummies lately that should really be quiet. (Edited by Admin per forum decorum rules)Kennedy, Martha, Biden, Walter and now Gore again.

Why doesn't someone tell them? It's one thing to be stupid, but to open their mouths and remove all doubt...........that's REALLY stupid.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwIIvetsdaughter wrote:
The "Most Trusted Man in America"? That title was "earned" before the internet and blogoshere. Who knows how much BS CBS gave the American public then but we had no way of knowing.

Rats! I was going to post this story.

I believe someone should sponsor research into just how much damage Cronkite and his leftist "newsmen" did.

As to 2006 ... rejoice in the fact that the sixties are over, and its news clowns are facing the twilight of their "careers."

-- FDL
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe someone should sponsor research into just how much damage Cronkite and his leftist "newsmen" did.

As to 2006 ... rejoice in the fact that the sixties are over, and its news clowns are facing the twilight of their "careers."

-- FDL
Why should someone do research? Who would care in the MSM about this dinasour if he is in wrong or the left stream media reporting such a story. Walt started the extreme left in his report about Tet, that is when the protesters got violent and extreme

I was stationed in Frisco from May to Sept of 67 and I went to Berkley and the Haight Ashbury district and never did we feel threathened or harrassed. This was the San Fransico Bay area. At Berkley, they had a protest on Memorial Day and it was very peaceful and just a parade with signs, no violent protests or idiots being stupid.

Now go forward 6 months and the times were extreme, violence became more in play and it grew from there thanks to Fonda and Uncle Walt.
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
I saw it, but I don't really care what Cronkite has to to say any more than I care what Jimmuh thinks about foreign policy or anything else for that matter.

Ditto! Exclamation

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: