SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Democrats Offer National Security Platform
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Democrats Offer National Security Platform Reply with quote

This is downright laughable! Another shallow meaningless policy statement from Harry Reid et al. "Duh, we've got a plan." Where have I heard those words before?
Associated Press
Quote:
Democrats Offer National Security Platform
3/29/2006, 4:59 a.m. ET
By LIZ SIDOTI
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Eyeing House and Senate elections this fall, Democrats are stepping up their effort to cut into the public perception that Republicans are stronger on national security.

Congressional Democrats vow to provide U.S. agents with the resources to hunt down Osama bin Laden and ensure a "responsible redeployment of U.S. forces" from Iraq in 2006 in a national security policy statement House and Senate Democratic leaders were announcing Wednesday.

"We need a new direction on national security, and leaders with policies that are tough and smart. That is what Democrats offer," Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said in remarks prepared for delivery Wednesday.

His counterpart in the House, Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said Democrats were offering a fresh strategy — "one that is strong and smart, which understands the challenges America faces in a post 9/11 world, and one that demonstrates that Democrats are the party of real national security."

Republicans criticized the statement as an election-year stunt.

The statement lacks specific details of a plan to capture bin Laden, the al-Qaida chief who has evaded U.S. forces in the more than four years since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. But Democrats suggest they will double the number of special forces and add more spies to increase the chances of finding al-Qaida's elusive leader.

Democrats also do not set a deadline for when all of the 132,000 American troops now in Iraq should be withdrawn.

They say: "We will ensure 2006 is a year of significant transition to full Iraqi sovereignty, with the Iraqis assuming primary responsibility for security and governing their country and with the responsible redeployment of U.S. forces."

The latest in a series of party policy statements for 2006, the Democrats' national security platform comes seven months before voters decide who will control the House and Senate.

Bush's job approval ratings are in the mid- to high-30s, and Democrats consistently have about a 10 percentage point lead over Republicans when people are asked who they want to see in control of Congress.

With the public skeptical of the Iraq war and Republicans and Democrats alike questioning Bush's war policies, Democrats aim to force Republicans to distance themselves from the president on Iraq and national security or rubber-stamp what Democrats contend is a failed policy.

Democratic strategists say their polling shows Democrats leading in all other areas — such as the economy, health care, education and retirement security — and having closed a gap in polls with Republicans on national security.

Republicans characterized the Democrats' platform as tough election-year talk that isn't backed up by the party's record.

"This is more of the same from the party that opposes this president's effort to keep our country safe," said Tracey Schmitt, a Republican National Committee spokeswoman. "The bottom line is while this president campaigns against the terrorists, Democrats remain focused on campaigning against this president."

Overall, the Democratic position paper covers party policy positions on homeland security, the war on terror, the military, Iraq and energy security. However, it contains many of the same proposals Democrats have offered over the past year.

For months, House and Senate Democrats have tried to craft a comprehensive position on national security, but they have splintered, primarily over Iraq.

Republicans have sought to use that division to their own political advantage, claiming that Democrats simply attack the president and his fellow Republicans without presenting proposals of their own.

THIS IS THEIR NATIONAL SECURITY PLATFORM???
"Yep, we're going to hire more spies and special forces and get bin Laden."
This from the party of Bill Clinton who refused to take OBL when he was offered on a silver platter. This from the party of Hillary who loathes the military. This from the party who sympathizes with captured terrorists and objects to intercepting communications from terrorists to cells in the U.S.

Yep, you're real tough on national security, Harry. Yep, you got a real plan there!
You and JKerry must have burned the midnight oil devising this plan.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send in Kerry with his CIA hat and Murtha since they know so much about the Military.

Then Kerry and Murtha both can have in "seared" in their ignorant minds that they were in Afghanistan on Christmas eve.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're Liberals, they'll probably just send bin-Laden an invitation to a coom-bai-ya sing-along and nab him when he shows up for the festivities.
This sound exactly like a John Kerry plan. As long as they feel good about it they'll be happy.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I addressed this article last night on my personal little site All Things Right

To hear Schumer, Pelosi and Reid talk like they want to get tough on National Security is about as laughable as anything I've heard from the left. Laughing
noyesj
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a I've got a plan from acouple years back, not sure I rememberwho said it, but think it could be the same party trying to get into the Whitehouse. Question Twisted Evil
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course the real danger is that if they were in power, and if they did manage to capture or take out OBL, then what???? Unfortunately, I think there are too many people who've been led to believe that's all the War on Terror consists of.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what's really, really scary is that it seems like half the folks in this country believe this latest pile of B.S. the Commiecrats have put out.

Dusty
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My manager is:
(1) 60% liberal, 40% conservative (he passed the internet test link around the engineering department and was dismayed to learn I'm 85% conservative, and the Russian immigrant (US citizen) is 90% conservative.
(2) A lieutenant colonel in the Air Force Reserve.
(3) Democrat enough to support John Kerry.

JUST TO TWEAK HIM (we get along well, and he's a fair guy), I asked him if he'd seen the Democratic "plan" ... especially the part where they want to double the number of special forces and spies.

I also mentioned that we have an all volunteer military, and a certain (usually constant) percentage want to try out for special forces, then fewer than 15% of those make it through the course ...

... he stopped me at that point.

He said "That's silly. They can't do that".

I said "yeah ... if they double special forces, it seems to me like they'd have to remove the word "special", and replace it with something like "pretty good".

Which he concurred with.

So I said the unfortunate part was that I suspected the general public would think it was a great idea.

He said he hopes they aren't that dumb.

Me too, but I'm a realist. We're talking about people who think "the government" needs to help out more with programs, and don't stop to think about where the "government" gets the money to do that. I think the "plan" as laid out will be a rousing success.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwb7605 wrote:
. We're talking about people who think "the government" needs to help out more with programs, and don't stop to think about where the "government" gets the money to do that. I think the "plan" as laid out will be a rousing success.

JW, they think that Halliburton, Walmart, and Exxon, combined with a "fair" income tax on the CEO's of those corporations could easily pay for all those programs.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagle wrote:

JW, they think that Halliburton, Walmart, and Exxon, combined with a "fair" income tax on the CEO's of those corporations could easily pay for all those programs.

Quit exaggerating!
Everybody knows we'd also need Micro$oft!
Laughing
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would vote or send a donation for any Democratic member of Congress that personally goes out and kills Bin Laden.

We have a 6XXX armored vest waiting for Kennedy and a 8XXXX Helmet waiting for Kerry. They can have the finest weapons available and we will airdrop them into the AOR to accomplish their mission. They can have the pick of any members of the Democratic Congress they feel they would need to finish the job. I have some suggestions, but I think the forum should make some picks for them.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They for sure need to have Pelosi, Durbin and Kennedy. Kennedy would be handy if ole Bin is hiding underwater.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, if they wish to "double" anything in personnel numbers of the military, they would also need to bring back the "DRAFT!" So far, they have been the ones quietly advocating doing so.
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, (D) Rep. Charles Rangel (NYC), has "openly" suggested bringing back the draft so "rich kids" have to fight the wars their Daddies get us into.
(I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it).
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Don't forget, if they wish to "double" anything in personnel numbers of the military, they would also need to bring back the "DRAFT!" So far, they have been the ones quietly advocating doing so.

Doubling the number of personnel in the military by bringing back the draft would work numerically.

Bringing back the draft would have no effect the number of quality personnel in the military.

Bringing back the draft would have no effect at all on the number of "spies", without regard to quality.

I'd favor bringing back the draft when we need warm bodies, fresh meat, or whatever bad connotation you can come up with.
I hope I don't live long enough for things to get that bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: