SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Kerry: Set Two Deadlines Leading To Iraq Pullout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: John Kerry: Set Two Deadlines Leading To Iraq Pullout Reply with quote

Ah, the vunderkind has ANOTHER PLAN. (another cut and run)
Talk about "stuck on stupid". Can't we set some kind of deadline on JK??
Quote:
US should set two deadlines leading to Iraq pullout: John Kerry
2 hours, 9 minutes ago

The United States should set a May 15 deadline for Iraqis to form a unity government and then plan to withdraw its troops by year's end, Democratic Senator and former presidential candidate John Kerry said.

"If Iraqis aren't willing to build a unity government in the five months since the election, they're probably not willing to build one at all. The civil war will only get worse, and we will have no choice anyway but to leave," Kerry wrote in commentary published in The New York Times.

Joining a growing chorus criticizing the US-led occupation of Iraq, Kerry said it was "immoral ... to engage in the same delusion" as in Vietnam, where half of the US casualties occurred "after America's leaders knew our strategy would not work."

Kerry described the current situation as "the third war in Iraq in as many years.

"The first was against Saddam Hussein and his supposed weapons of mass destruction. The second was against terrorists whom, the administration said, it was better to fight over there than here. Now we find our troops in the middle of an escalating civil war."

Iraqi leaders so far "have responded only to deadlines -- a deadline to transfer authority to a provisional government, and a deadline to hold three elections," Kerry said.

"Iraqi politicians should be told that they have until May 15 to put together an effective unity government or we will immediately withdraw our military."

"If Iraq's leaders succeed in putting together a government, then we must agree on another deadline: a schedule for withdrawing American combat forces by year's end," Kerry said.

To get things rolling, Kerry suggested bringing all the leaders of Iraqi factions together "in a neutral setting" where, working with US allies, the Arab League and the United Nations, they "would be compelled to reach a political agreement."

Kerry dismissed the US government's reluctance to put pressure on the Iraqis for fear of making things worse.

"In fact, terrible things are happening now because we haven't gotten tough enough. With two deadlines, we can change all that," said the senator from Massachusetts.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060405/pl_afp/usiraqkerry
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yahoo posted a condensed version of John murtha sKerry's NY Times Op_Ed, leaving out impressive details of skerrys grand "Plan"

here's the NY Times full article....with the "Plan" details . Of course did-you-know-I-was- in- Vietnam he has to invoke Vietnam, and The Wall.
NY Times subscription
Quote:

Op-Ed Contributor

Two Deadlines and an Exit
By JOHN F. KERRY

Published: April 5, 2006
Washington

WE are now in the third war in Iraq in as many years. The first was against Saddam Hussein and his supposed weapons of mass destruction. The second was against terrorists whom, the administration said, it was better to fight over there than here. Now we find our troops in the middle of an escalating civil war.

Half of the service members listed on the Vietnam Memorial Wall died after America's leaders knew our strategy would not work. It was immoral then and it would be immoral now to engage in the same delusion. We want democracy in Iraq, but Iraqis must want it as much as we do. Our valiant soldiers can't bring democracy to Iraq if Iraq's leaders are unwilling themselves to make the compromises that democracy requires.

As our generals have said, the war cannot be won militarily. It must be won politically. No American soldier should be sacrificed because Iraqi politicians refuse to resolve their ethnic and political differences.

So far, Iraqi leaders have responded only to deadlines — a deadline to transfer authority to a provisional government, and a deadline to hold three elections.

Now we must set another deadline to extricate our troops and get Iraq up on its own two feet.

Iraqi politicians should be told that they have until May 15 to put together an effective unity government or we will immediately withdraw our military. If Iraqis aren't willing to build a unity government in the five months since the election, they're probably not willing to build one at all. The civil war will only get worse, and we will have no choice anyway but to leave.

If Iraq's leaders succeed in putting together a government, then we must agree on another deadline: a schedule for withdrawing American combat forces by year's end. Doing so will empower the new Iraqi leadership, put Iraqis in the position of running their own country and undermine support for the insurgency, which is fueled in large measure by the majority of Iraqis who want us to leave their country. Only troops essential to finishing the job of training Iraqi forces should remain.

For this transition to work, we must finally begin to engage in genuine diplomacy. We must immediately bring the leaders of the Iraqi factions together at a Dayton Accords-like summit meeting. In a neutral setting, Iraqis, working with our allies, the Arab League and the United Nations, would be compelled to reach a political agreement that includes security guarantees, the dismantling of the militias and shared goals for reconstruction.

To increase the pressure on Iraq's leaders, we must redeploy American forces to garrisoned status. Troops should be used for security backup, training and emergency response; we should leave routine patrols to Iraqi forces. Special operations against Al Qaeda and other foreign terrorists in Iraq should be initiated only on hard intelligence leads.

We will defeat Al Qaeda faster when we stop serving as its best recruitment tool. Iraqis ultimately will not tolerate foreign jihadists on their soil, and the United States will be able to maintain an over-the-horizon troop presence with rapid response capacity. An exit from Iraq will also strengthen our hand in dealing with the Iranian nuclear threat and allow us to repair the damage of repeated deployments, which flag officers believe has strained military readiness and morale.

For three years now, the administration has told us that terrible things will happen if we get tough with the Iraqis. In fact, terrible things are happening now because we haven't gotten tough enough. With two deadlines, we can change all that. We can put the American leadership on the side of our soldiers and push the Iraqi leadership to do what only it can do: build a democracy.

John F. Kerry, a senator from Massachusetts, was the Democratic nominee for president in 2004.

"we should leave routine patrols to Iraqi forces"
This might be funny if not so pathetic, just this one example . Yoohoo.. skerry -- this is already happening, with increasing frequency

Last edited by kate on Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"John F. Kerry, a senator from Massachusetts, was the Democratic nominee for president in 2004. "

He was the "LOSING" dumacratic nominee for president in 2004!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know he was in Viet Nam? Rolling Eyes
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had a "plan" too.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Naval officer named John, in the thick of a battle had a different proposal:

Quote:
Captain John Paul Jones said this during the famous battle between Bonhomme Richard and Serapis on 23 September 1779. It seems that some of Jones's men cried for surrender, but not John Paul Jones! Captain Richard Pearson of Serapis asked Jones if he had surrendered. Jones uttered the immortal words: "I have not yet begun to fight!" So, at least, Lt. Richard Dale later recalled.

A year earlier, Captain Jones had said:

Quote:
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."

One last note. Here is a chart indicating the numbers of US war dead in recent wars. The pain of a single death in war is unimaginable for a loved one but the chart would indicate that "We have not yet begun to fight."

Kerry, your honorable predecessors cry for you and our beloved country.

Schadow
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LimaCharlie wrote:
Did you know he was in Viet Nam? Rolling Eyes

Yep.

What a fitting proposal from the face that could sink 1,000 ships. Kerry ran from Vietnam after what - three months? So, his advice fits with his own record.

In fact, he should propose a Purple Heart be given to soldiers in Iraq every time they damage a skin cell. That way, they can all come home as Kerry did!

One also has to ask: what, exactly, are Kerry's motivations for this "advice?"

I leave it to the reader to rank these possible motivators. He offered this "plan":

1. To hurt the current administration.
2. Out of hatred for the U.S.
3. Out of hatred for the military
4. Out of concern for the Iraqis, where he knows that if we pull out, a bloodbath with the death of hundreds of thousands or perhaps millions of Iraqis would follow.
5. Out of cultural sensitivity to Arabs, who just love to be told what to do in a disrespectful manner.
6. Out of concern for our soldiers.
7. In a feeble, narcissistic attempt at self-aggrandizement.

Such astounding bravery. Imagine what Germany or Japan would be now if Truman or Eisenhower threatened them as Kerry did, and then pulled out when they didn't get their sh*t together on a fixed timeline.

--FDL
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I leave it to the reader to rank these possible motivators. He offered this "plan":

1. To hurt the current administration.
2. Out of hatred for the U.S.
3. Out of hatred for the military
4. Out of concern for the Iraqis, where he knows that if we pull out, a bloodbath with the death of hundreds of thousands or perhaps millions of Iraqis would follow.
5. Out of cultural sensitivity to Arabs, who just love to be told what to do in a disrespectful manner.
6. Out of concern for our soldiers.
7. In a feeble, narcissistic attempt at self-aggrandizement.

1st: # 7
2nd: #1
3rd: #3
4th: #5
5th: #2

Six and four don't count.... Those are beyond Jfk's scope. I think you might have meant to put in something about reviving hamsters in said stead.

Seriously though.... #4.... Is Kerry really this dumb or just that power hungry. I just can't help but recall Kerry's sagacity in predicting a pull out of nam might cause a few thousand deaths in retribution.

Lets' see, a few thousand is more than our entire casualty count thus far.
In the end it was more like a few million killed after our pull out.

By setting any sort of dead line as he has proposed the only thing that will happen for sure is there will be a failure. Either on the part of the Iraqi's abillity to controll order and peace or on our part to not pull out by the date specified.

Either way I think the most helpfull thing Kerry could do is shut his trap.

Unless the hamster needs some action.
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never attribute to malice that best explained by pure stupidity.
Leeman
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you hear any statements from "Commie Johnnie" it will help if you say to yourself this is the modern day "Tokyo Rose" his message is the same as hers was.

1, Your president is lying to you

2. The war is Illegal

3. you cannot win the war.

instead of bradcasting from Japan he uses the Imus in the morning show..lol

or face the nation to give you the percentage of high school kids graduating each year.lol

oh well now he will have katie Curic to Quote him !! and his words of wisdom.

"We are all Ghost now"
"But once we were men"

from an unsigned diary recovered from Cabanatuan Camp
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received the following email at my throw away address from the sKerry camp. Titled, DEADLINE FOR IRAQ.

Quote:
Dear Lew,

Half the names on the Vietnam Memorial wall were added after America's leaders knew our strategy would not work. It was immoral then and it would be immoral now to engage in the same delusion. You and I have to do everything in our power to stop that from happening again.

Two weeks ago, President Bush said that the timing of complete withdrawal from Iraq "...will be decided by future presidents...."1 But this is our responsibility now, not the responsibility of future presidents or a future Congress.

I believe that American combat troops should come home from Iraq in 2006 - not the distant future as President Bush does. Furthermore, I believe we must set a May 15th deadline for the Iraqis to form an effective unity government. And, if the Iraqi politicians choose to ignore that deadline, then I believe things will only get worse and we will have no choice but to withdraw immediately.

It's not enough to express our convictions -- we need to back up our beliefs with concrete actions. Today I introduced a resolution into the Senate that will give members of both parties the chance to tell the president that our course in Iraq must change.

I am setting tough deadlines for action in Iraq, and you know as well as I do how fiercely the extreme right wing will attack us. So I'm asking you today to be a citizen co-sponsor of this important resolution. Show the White House and my Senate colleagues a groundswell of support.

President Bush is willing to let American soldiers and their families wait endlessly, while risking life and limb, as some Iraqi politicians incite sectarianism to grow their personal power and private militias. But we are now in the third war in Iraq in as many years. The first was against Saddam Hussein and his alleged weapons of mass destruction. The second was against Jihadist terrorists who the Administration said it was better "to fight over there than here." Now we find our troops in the middle of an escalating civil war.

We will defeat Al Qaeda faster when we stop serving as their best recruitment tool. Unpinning our military from Iraq will allow us to prosecute the war against Al Qaeda more effectively -- both inside and outside Iraq. And regaining our global options will also strengthen our hand in addressing the Iranian nuclear threat.

For speaking the truth, the right wing and their surrogates will question our courage and commitment. They're going to question our patriotism.

Only one thing will overcome this onslaught and put our country on the right path: a truly massive and visible groundswell of support for this call to bring home the troops. America has prospered throughout its history because we have never allowed bad leaders to pursue bad ideas for very long. The Bush administration uses fear as a weapon against dissent. But you have the power to stand up to this new McCarthyism: show the depth and breadth of support for a timely withdrawal by co-sponsoring my Senate resolution now.

We want democracy in Iraq, but it's now the job of Iraqis to build it. Our troops have performed gallantly and heroically. The best way to keep faith with them is to set deadlines for bringing our troops home and getting Iraq on its own two feet. That's the only way to give their sacrifice its best chance of resulting in success.

Thank you,

John Kerry

P.S. It's important that we show a huge groundswell of support. Please forward this email to friends, family, and co-workers who share our belief that we must get tough with the Iraqis and get our combat troops home.

1. White House press conference, March 21, 2006

As for his opening line of half the names in the Viet Nam Wall, they possibly wouldn't be there if not for the treasonous actions of him, Hanoi Jane, and a whole host of other leftwing moonbats who gave the North Vietnamese reason to just hang on and let America grow tired of the War.

It's been reported that General Giap was ready to negotiate a surrender after his forces were decimated in his disatrous Tet of 68 offensive. Had he, many of us here today would not be Viet Nam Veterans and the likes of sKerry would still be searching for something to hang his hat on the become famous.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMOS,

It's Arthur Bremer you should be thinking of.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: