SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retired generals are dead wrong about Rumsfeld
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Retired generals are dead wrong about Rumsfeld Reply with quote

Almost every day now for the last month or so, the MSM has rolled out a new retired general calling for The SecDef to be fired. NPR is particularly breathless about this movement and broadcasts extensive interviews with a general. They are conflicted whether to have the general on first, or the daily body count.

In fact, Rumsfeld has performed the greatest transformation of the fighting forces in many a year. He has done it with the understanding, which few seem to grasp, of the nature of assymetric warfare and an enemy who doesn't fight a "fair war".

The blog "Big Lizards" has done a very good piece on the whole controversy illustrating the new challenges of which Rumsfeld is totally aware and the old generals are oblivious. Here are a few snips from the blog. The entire thing is well worth a read:

Quote:
These generals appear to be mostly from the Clinton era. Why is that important? Because, while progression through the rank of Colonel is more or less based upon military performance, elevation to flag rank is by direct presidential appointment. They are, in a sense, Clinton appointees.

Typically, presidents don't hand out stars to people who object to their philosophies; think of LBJ and Gen. William Westmoreland. So the first assumption is that if President Bill Clinton elevated an Army colonel to a Brigadier General -- or made him Commander in Chief of CentCom (paging Anthony Zinni) -- that general is probably a Clintonista.

All generals have been in the service for decades. For decades, we have refought World War II -- in Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War, Bosnia, and Kosovo... by which I mean using more or less the same tactics (mass bombings, invasion by massive, centrally commanded divisions, and so forth). Those are the warfare styles to which these generals were long accustomed.

Even before the Iraq War, Secretary Rumsfeld embarked upon a revolutionary reformation, not only of how we fight wars but also the entire organization of our military forces. He is pushing towards smaller units, more unit independence (moving command decisions down the ranks), much greater reliance on Special Forces, and a reorganization of units to be self-sufficient rather than specialized.

I'm sure the Powell Doctrine is what MG Batiste means by the principle of "enough forces."

The Powell Doctrine simply asserts that when a nation is engaging in war, every resource and tool should be used to achieve overwhelming force against the enemy. This may oppose the principle of proportionality, but there are grounds to suppose that principles of Just War may not be violated.

Again, Donald Rumsfeld and George W. Bush reject this doctrine as outdated with today's warfare/statecraft challenges... hence, though we used a half a million troops to drive Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait in the Gulf War (Operation Desert Storm), we used a scant 200,000 troops to take over the entire country of Iraq -- though it would have been about 220,000 if the 4ID had been able to traverse Turkey and invade Iraq from the north.

Each doctrine has its attendent advantages and disadvantages; but Secretary Rumsfeld has concluded that contemporary warfare is better handled with the "small footprint" of OIF than the "overwhelming force" of the Gulf War. Clearly, MG Batiste completely disagrees... which is why he felt compelled to leave the Army rather than fight under Donald Rumsfeld.

But the fact that an old general dislikes the new style of warfare is not a refutation of that style. It just means MG Batiste is "Old School." But Old School is not necessary the best school.

The entire article is Here

Schadow
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen. Even the Clinton appointments argument is something of a red herring (though it might have some bearing, it's probably small). The fundamental fact is that the doctrine of overwhelming superiority was drummed into their heads as West Point cadets. (It made a lot of sense when the enemy was easily identified, and when opposing forces essentially were equally armed on a man-to-man basis.) Change is difficult for some people, and particularly people who have been indoctrinated all their adult lives in a philosophy that - for their time - was not only militarily sound, but also politically sound in the inter-service rivalry for funding.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Rumsfeld. He doesn't take any guff from anyone.
Besides that, our enemies hate him. That alone is worth its weight in gold.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably only the best SecDef this country has ever had.

Dusty
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is disturbing about all this is the timing. I.e., why so many (I know, I know, there's really not that many) disgruntled Generals are complaining at about the same time. Obviously the anti-war MSM is promoting their appearances (notice where all the interviews are happening). Surely these Generals know the damage they are doing to the war effort as "collatoral damage," so I guess I have to conclude that they've definitely revealed their political affiliations.
Army_(Ret)
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: The Hidden History of the Iraq War Critics Reply with quote

Lt. General Michael "Rifle" Delong USMC Ret has come forward to defend Sec. Rumsfeld and has the utmost respect for him. Lt. Gen. Delong was General Franks Deputy Commander. Lt. General Delong was reccommended to General Franks as his Deputy by General Zinni.

I read this article in The American Thinker and thought this applies as well.

Here is the link for the full article.

http://americanthinker.com/articles.php?article_id=5414

The most recent war plan critic is retired Lt. Gen. Greg Newbold, who, up to four months prior to the launch of OIF, was the Pentagon’s top planner. He left in part due to his opposition to the plan. He now alleges that other top Pentagon officers who opposed the plan did not speak up, that they are culpable for an “invented war.”

At an April 11 press conference Joint Chiefs chairman, Gen. Peter Pace answered Newbold and other like-minded critics about how the process worked building up to Iraq:

First of all, once it became apparent that we may have to take military action, the Secretary of Defense asked Tom Franks, who was the commander of Central Command, to begin doing some planning, which he did. Over the next two years, 50 or 60 times, Tom Franks either came to Washington or by video teleconference, sat down with the Secretary of Defense, sat down with the Joint Chiefs and went over what he was thinking, how he was planning. And as a result of those iterative opportunities and all the questions that were asked not once was Tom told, “No, don’t do that; no, don’t do this; no, you can’t have this; no, you can’t have that.” What happened was, in a very open roundtable discussion, questions (were raised) about what might go right, what might go wrong, what would you need, how would you handle it, and that happened with the Joint Chiefs, and it happened with the Secretary. And before the final orders were given, the Joint Chiefs met in private with General Franks and assured ourselves that that plan was a solid plan and that the resources that he needed were going to be allocated.

That agreement on resources having been reached, the Joint Chiefs went to Rumsfeld and then to President Bush, assuring them about the plan and the necessary resources. Pres. Bush asked specific questions about whether the proper amount of resources had been allocated.

He did that with us and then again when all the combatant commanders were in from [around] the globe well before a final decision was made.

Gen. Pace stressed the fact that there was every opportunity for anyone with qualms or disagreements to speak their minds. He concluded:

I wanted to tell you how I believe this system works, and I wanted to tell you how I have observed it working for five years, because the [critical] articles that are out there about folks not speaking up are just flat wrong.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Hidden History of the Iraq War Critics Reply with quote

Army_(Ret) wrote:
[Quoting The American Thinker article] The most recent war plan critic is retired Lt. Gen. Greg Newbold, who, up to four months prior to the launch of OIF, was the Pentagon’s top planner. He left in part due to his opposition to the plan. He now alleges that other top Pentagon officers who opposed the plan did not speak up, that they are culpable for an “invented war.”

The term "invented war" speaks volumes about Lt. Gen. Newbold's mindset. Nobody but the President "invents" a war, justifiably or otherwise. Newbold's mind wanders from the Pentagon's prime directive - proposing and debating ways and means to carry out a mission given to them by the Executive - to somehow being responsible for creating a war.

I've met and talked to many general and flag officers and not one of them actively wants war. (MacArthur may have been an exception but I never got to talk to him before he was fired.) But they see it as their duty to make war plans and, if ultimately needed, to execute them. Newbold was probably unable to accept the concepts of distributed command responsibility or other facets of Rumsfeld's vision and was right to leave. That some other Pentagon officers secretly opposed the plans but did not speak up and therefore are guilty of "inventing" a war is twisted thinking in the extreme.

Schadow
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Drive-by media showed photos of six of these generalissimos on TV--They all looked relatively young to me. Did somebody tell them to take a hike and now they're pissed because they're not Generals anymore?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Rush hit the nail on the head Friday. During his broadcast, speaking with Snerdly, he said

Quote:
There was a Democrat strategery memo written by Dingy Harry. It did target the military. They were going to come out and they were going to accuse Bush of being incompetent in use of the military, and Rumsfeld would be part of that. Okay, so this is the fruition of that memo? I'm sure. This is not coincidental, and it's not hard.

My gut reaction is that these retired Generals are recruits from the left. Compare the drive-by leftstream media treatment to the Swifties and Col. Day, a Medal of Honor winner.

As far as I'm concerned, a holder of the Medal of Honor has more pull than a dozen retired Generals recruited by the left. Apparently, the drive-by leftstream media doesn't think so.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the Generals concerned were unable to meet the SECDEF'S expectations of performance and received forty lashes.

The President should recall them to active duty along with Clark for demotion or confinement. I guess they forgot we are at war or then again maybe they never knew............

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like sour grapes to me.
They didn't get to do the major ground war thing on their watch and now will find fault with everything thats happening without them.
I guess it was tough to be a high ranking military guy under the Clintonistas.
I almost feel sorry for them. NOT !!!
They're a bunch of whiners.
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless things have changed, according to the UCMJ as long as your are recieving retirement pay from the military you are still subject to its laws and provisions. Maybe its time we bring charges abainst these 'generals' for speaking against the defense of this country. These are just disgruntled wannabee's who were over their level of competence and drummed out of the military for it. Now they are using the lefty press for face time to try and convince the American people they know better than the real leaders.
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutso wrote:
Unless things have changed, according to the UCMJ as long as your are recieving retirement pay from the military you are still subject to its laws and provisions. Maybe its time we bring charges abainst these 'generals' for speaking against the defense of this country. These are just disgruntled wannabee's who were over their level of competence and drummed out of the military for it. Now they are using the lefty press for face time to try and convince the American people they know better than the real leaders.

I could be very wrong, but I was told on more than one occasion during my time in the Navy that flag officers do not retire from active duty unless forced. They just quit going into the office.

I had the pleasure of saluting Fleet Admiral Nimitz in his rather flashy uniform several times on Treasure Island in 1964/1965 when he was around eighty years old. All of that gold would momentarily blind you on a sunny day. I also had the pleasure/displeasure of discussing a problem on a submarine with Admiral Rickover within the confines of that submarine. He was in his seventies at the time and very intimidating when questioning me about the problem with his submarine.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal hero has always been Douglas MacArthur, controversial though he may have been. When considering his entire life, he was an amazing person and an unflagging patriot to the end of his life. And, he understood fully the concept of civilian control of the armed forces.

The technology available to him ranged from the Springfield rifle of the days when his mother, older brother, and he accompanied their father, Arthur MacArthur, on campaigns on the US western frontier; to nuclear weapons under his control in Korea.

Both Douglas and his father received the MoH along the way, one of only two father-sons to be so decorated, Arthur at Missionary Ridge in the Civil War and Douglas for conduct in the Phillipines in WWII. He followed the orders of the President in leaving the Phillipines, thus the appellation "Dug-out Doug" is inappropriate.

He had a thing about winning wars. This was something a commander was supposed to do. In Korea, after clearing out North Korea all the way to the Manchurian border, he sought permission to bomb bridges and airfields in Manchuria to consolidate his advance and was denied by the President for fear of increased Chinese and Soviet involvement. MacArthur made the mistake of talking to the press about this disagreement with Truman and was relieved. Ironically, Korea remains our longest-running war, some 56 years old, never won, only a cease-fire.

My point in all this is that MacArthur remained true to his profession to the end. If he criticized the politicians, it was so subtle that it went over their heads. In May,1962, he accepted the Sylvanus Thayer Award at West Point and made his last great speech. He died two years later. These recent complaining generals should read it. A portion of the speech reads:

Quote:
....And through all this welter of change and development, your mission remains fixed, determined, inviolable - it is to win our wars. Everything else in your professional career is but corollary to this vital dedication. All other public purposes, all other public projects, all other public needs, great or small, will find others for their accomplishment; but you are the ones who are trained to fight: yours is the profession of arms - the will to win, the sure knowledge that in war there is no substitute for victory; that if you lose, the nation will be destroyed; that the very obsession of your public service must be Duty - Honor - Country. Others will debate the controversial issues, national and international, which divide men's minds; but serene, calm, aloof, you stand as the nation's warguardian, as its lifeguard from the raging tides of international conflict, as its gladiator in the arena of battle. For a century and a half you have defended, guarded, and protected its hallowed traditions of liberty and freedom, of right and justice. Let civilian voices argue the merits or demerits of our processes of government; whether our strength is being sapped by deficit financing, indulged in too long, by federal paternalism grown too mighty, by power groups grown too arrogant, by politics grown too corrupt, by crime grown too rampant, by morals grown too low, by taxes grown too high, by extremists grown too violent; whether our personal liberties are as thorough and complete as they should be. These great national problems are not for your professional participation or military solution. Your guidepost stands out like a ten-fold beacon in the night - Duty - Honor - Country.

More on MacArthur

Schadow
DADESID
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LimaCharlie wrote:
Nutso wrote:

I could be very wrong, but I was told on more than one occasion during my time in the Navy that flag officers do not retire from active duty unless forced. They just quit going into the office.

I had the pleasure of saluting Fleet Admiral Nimitz in his rather flashy uniform several times on Treasure Island in 1964/1965 when he was around eighty years old. All of that gold would momentarily blind you on a sunny day. I also had the pleasure/displeasure of discussing a problem on a submarine with Admiral Rickover within the confines of that submarine. He was in his seventies at the time and very intimidating when questioning me about the problem with his submarine.

Only five-star officers do not "retire".

All others go on the retired list. However, they remain subject to the UCMJ, and subject to involuntary recall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: