SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Tiger Woods "SPAZ" Incident

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PC
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: The Tiger Woods "SPAZ" Incident Reply with quote

Has anyone been following the Tiger Woods incident?

Tiger was interviewed on camera after the Masters this past Sunday and made a comment that he putted like a "Spaz."

In Monday's Sports section of the Los Angeles Times, Thomas Bonk, on page D10, writes, quoting Tiger Woods regarding his Masters' performance:

"It was frustrating because I felt so in control of my golf ball from tee to green, then when I got on the green, I was a [wreck]," he said.

Well Tiger certainly doesn't speak words enclosed in brackets. In fact Tiger never said [wreck], he said "spaz".

So, the LAT decided that they would not print the word spaz and attribute it to Tiger, instead they just reached down somewhere and came up with wreck.

I can think of some political folks who, had they used the word spaz, would have suffered the wrath of The LA Dog Trainer's editorial writers, seeing as how the paper must think it's politically incorrect.

Tiger has, as expected, made a public apology.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is hillarious! I was introduced to the term "spaz" over 40 years ago as colloquial slang for "spastic" or "spasmodic." The latter's definition is probably the more appropriate one:

"Characterized by fitfulness; lacking continuity; intermittent; as, spasmodic zeal..." [Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary].

So has the meaning of the slang been changed? Or as I think you imply, were the PC police firing blanks?
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These self-appointed PC police are taking all the color and creativity out of our language. This is just another subterfuge by the liberals. They can't call anything by its real name anymore. We no longer have bums, hoboes and tramps, we now have homeless people. Even prostitution is now referred to as compensated dating. If Tiger Woods uses the word "SPAZ", then that what he means and it is not up to some self appointed protector of sensitivities working for the press to put new words in his mouth.

I really hate these PC issues. I long for the days when people had hides thick enough to tolerate some casual colorful remarks.
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
This is hillarious! I was introduced to the term "spaz" over 40 years ago as colloquial slang for "spastic" or "spasmodic." The latter's definition is probably the more appropriate one:

"Characterized by fitfulness; lacking continuity; intermittent; as, spasmodic zeal..." [Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary].

So has the meaning of the slang been changed? Or as I think you imply, were the PC police firing blanks?

This is what I want to know. I used the word Spaz when I am going spastic or having a hissy fit. What is Spaz that is a no-no word?
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an amazing coincidence, the day that the Tiger dustup became public I received an offer for a geriatrics newsletter from UCLA. In the offering was a brochure naming certain drugs as dangerous for elderly people. (Patience - I'm getting to the point.) Among these drugs was an antispasmodic called hyoscyamine sulfate, sold under the trade names "Anaspaz" and "Cystospaz-M".

"Anaspaz"? "Cystospaz-M"? So, I guess the pharmaceutical industry is guilty of blatant insensitivity to the ills or mannerisms of certain people?

Congressional hearings are obviously called for! Rolling Eyes

Schadow
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
These self-appointed PC police are taking all the color and creativity out of our language. This is just another subterfuge by the liberals. They can't call anything by its real name anymore. We no longer have bums, hoboes and tramps, we now have homeless people. Even prostitution is now referred to as compensated dating. If Tiger Woods uses the word "SPAZ", then that what he means and it is not up to some self appointed protector of sensitivities working for the press to put new words in his mouth.

I really hate these PC issues. I long for the days when people had hides thick enough to tolerate some casual colorful remarks.

hear hear
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Tiger Woods "SPAZ" Incident Reply with quote

PC wrote:
Has anyone been following the Tiger Woods incident?

Tiger was interviewed on camera after the Masters this past Sunday and made a comment that he putted like a "Spaz."

In Monday's Sports section of the Los Angeles Times, Thomas Bonk, on page D10, writes, quoting Tiger Woods regarding his Masters' performance:

"It was frustrating because I felt so in control of my golf ball from tee to green, then when I got on the green, I was a [wreck]," he said.

Well Tiger certainly doesn't speak words enclosed in brackets. In fact Tiger never said [wreck], he said "spaz".

So, the LAT decided that they would not print the word spaz and attribute it to Tiger, instead they just reached down somewhere and came up with wreck.

I can think of some political folks who, had they used the word spaz, would have suffered the wrath of The LA Dog Trainer's editorial writers, seeing as how the paper must think it's politically incorrect.

Tiger has, as expected, made a public apology.

I was watching that with my Dad (under protest - sorry, folks, but I agree with George Carlin that watching golf is about as exciting as watching flies, well, you know...) and as soon as "spaz" came out of his mouth I knew that somebody would female canine about it. As to the news media covering it up, I wonder what they'd do if Dubya had said that... Rolling Eyes

Fat, Bald and Ugly - And PROUD Of It!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: