SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VA Contacting Veterans Who Received Prostate Biopsies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: VA Contacting Veterans Who Received Prostate Biopsies Reply with quote

WASHINGTON – Some veterans who received prostate biopsies in medical facilities of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in 11 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico may have been treated with improperly disinfected instruments, VA officials announced today.

Although VA has not received any reports of patients being harmed, the Department is notifying all veterans who were treated by the equipment in question, called "a prostate biopsy transducer." VA is also offering follow-on testing to determine if these veterans were exposed to any other ailments.

"The safety of our patients is of paramount concern," said Dr. Jonathan B. Perlin, VA's Under Secretary for Health. "VA's patient safety program detected this problem. Whenever there's a problem, we believe in notifying our patients and taking remedial steps immediately."

Although VA inspectors found that the equipment used for the prostate biopsies was being cleaned and disinfected after each procedure, some equipment was not being scrubbed by a brush after each use, resulting in the remote possibility of infection.

Improperly scrubbed equipment carries a small risk of exposing patients to Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV).

VA is notifying patients who received prostate biopsies with the equipment in question at the following facilities:

· District of Columbia
· Iowa: Iowa City
· Maine: Togus
· Minnesota: Minneapolis
· Montana: Fort Harrison, Miles City
· Nevada: Las Vegas
· New York: Buffalo, Canandaigua
· Ohio: Cincinnati
· Oklahoma: Oklahoma City
· Oregon: Portland
· Puerto Rico: San Juan
· Tennessee: Memphis, Murfreesboro, Nashville
· Wisconsin: Milwaukee

Patients treated by the improperly scrubbed equipment will be notified and will be offered tests. The Department is working with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the manufacturer and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Puerto Rico. Reply with quote

I feel much better knowing there are VA medical facilities in Puerto Rico. Can't wait to mail in my 1040 taxes today.
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this goes beyond the VA and is a problem in other clinics using the same equipment.
docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not an equipment problem, it is sterlization problem. A prostate biopsy transducer is used with an ultrasound machine. It is inserted into the area of which we do not speak, and it emits sound waves that are bounced back and transmitted into the computer for interpretation. Since it is not "surgical equipment," like a scalpel, it is not put through a sterilization process. Normally, the transducer (which is oval, round metal) is first cleaned with a chemical solution and then sometimes manually scrub brushed. Apparently VA standard operating procedures did not require the scrub brushing. Depending on how the transducer surface is constructed, scrub brushing might be overkill - but personally I would like overkill if it is something being used to probe my innards.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been diagnosed with bladder cancer, and after various and sundry "surgeries", am apparently making a successful recovery.

This, of course, does involve the insertion of "probes" to the aforementioned "areas of which we do not speak" every 3 months in order to verify that no tumors have reappeared. (way cool optical equipment ... fiber optic stuff hooked to a monitor ... I can see what's going on and ask questions while looking at the inside of my body)

The urologist, although his equipment appears to be clean (stored in disinfectant, etc), always gives me this big horse-pill antibiotic "just in case" after an exam. He says that the antibiotic gets anything that could possibly have been missed or introduced just by incidental exposure to the air. He's never had a problem with infections of any sort.

Unless by some procedure I hope I never find out about, the "probe" goes into the prostate, that ... at least in theory ... should take care of any normal germ problems. HIV, on the other hand, I'm not too sure about, but it seems like things would have to be really unclean to worry about that.

From what I've seen (literally), the "probe" in question would probably stop just short of the bladder, over the prostate gland, and then be operated in the ultrasonic mode.

Oh yeah ... my urologist and I both agree that your life is really strange, indeed, when you get used to the "procedures" and think of them as just like any physical Rolling Eyes
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

docford wrote:
It is not an equipment problem, it is sterlization problem. A prostate biopsy transducer is used with an ultrasound machine. It is inserted into the area of which we do not speak, and it emits sound waves that are bounced back and transmitted into the computer for interpretation. Since it is not "surgical equipment," like a scalpel, it is not put through a sterilization process. Normally, the transducer (which is oval, round metal) is first cleaned with a chemical solution and then sometimes manually scrub brushed. Apparently VA standard operating procedures did not require the scrub brushing. Depending on how the transducer surface is constructed, scrub brushing might be overkill - but personally I would like overkill if it is something being used to probe my innards.

Unfortunately, I have had prostate biopsies and have another coming up in the near future. The ultrasound probe maps the prostate and it does remove tissue by shooting a probe into the prostate. They usually take about twelve to eighteen samples. Don’t most medical facilities follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on sterilization?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: