SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Pulitzer Prize for Treason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: The Pulitzer Prize for Treason Reply with quote

From Scott Johnson of PowerLine:

Quote:
Following in the footsteps of the AP last year, New York Times reporters James Risen and Eric Lichtblau won the Pulitzer Prize today for their treasonous contribution to the undermining of the highly classified National Security Agency surveillance program of al Qaeda-related terrorists. As I wrote in a column for the Standard, the Risen/Lichtblau reportage clearly violated relevant provisions of the Espionage Act -- a particularly serious crime insofar as it lends assistance to the enemy in a time of war.

Juxtapose the Times's highminded editorial condemnation of President Bush for allegedly failing to follow proper procedure in declassifying the October 2002 National Intelligence Estimate key judgments. Today the Times instructs us: "Even a president cannot wave a wand and announce that an intelligence report is declassified."

Waving a wand is apparently a prerogative reserved to Times executive editor Bill Keller, who made the decision to "declassify" the NSA surveillance program in the pages of the Times. According to Keller, the publication of the NSA story did "not expose any technical intelligence-gathering methods or capabilities that are not already on the public record." Thus Keller waved his wand, and the Times blew the NSA program. Smarter folks than I will have to reconcile the trains of thought at work among the editors of the New York Times.

What about the Pulitzer Prize committee? When Walter Duranty won a Pulitzer Prize for the Times in connection with his mendacious coverage of Stalin's Soviet Union, he performed valuable public relations work for a mass murderer. He nevertheless did no direct harm to the United States. Today's Pulitzer Prize award to the Times brings a new shame to the Pulitzer Prize committee that builds on its disgrace last year via the award to the AP.

More on this scurrilous story

(There is more on the AP's award for photography in Scott's piece - equally scurrilous.)

Schadow
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Pulitzer Prize for Treason Reply with quote

Schadow wrote:
From Scott Johnson of PowerLine:

Quote:
Following in the footsteps of the AP last year, New York Times reporters James Risen and Eric Lichtblau won the Pulitzer Prize today for their treasonous contribution to the undermining of the highly classified National Security Agency surveillance program of al Qaeda-related terrorists. As I wrote in a column for the Standard, the Risen/Lichtblau reportage clearly violated relevant provisions of the Espionage Act -- a particularly serious crime insofar as it lends assistance to the enemy in a time of war.

Juxtapose the Times's highminded editorial condemnation of President Bush for allegedly failing to follow proper procedure in declassifying the October 2002 National Intelligence Estimate key judgments. Today the Times instructs us: "Even a president cannot wave a wand and announce that an intelligence report is declassified."

Waving a wand is apparently a prerogative reserved to Times executive editor Bill Keller, who made the decision to "declassify" the NSA surveillance program in the pages of the Times. According to Keller, the publication of the NSA story did "not expose any technical intelligence-gathering methods or capabilities that are not already on the public record." Thus Keller waved his wand, and the Times blew the NSA program. Smarter folks than I will have to reconcile the trains of thought at work among the editors of the New York Times.

What about the Pulitzer Prize committee? When Walter Duranty won a Pulitzer Prize for the Times in connection with his mendacious coverage of Stalin's Soviet Union, he performed valuable public relations work for a mass murderer. He nevertheless did no direct harm to the United States. Today's Pulitzer Prize award to the Times brings a new shame to the Pulitzer Prize committee that builds on its disgrace last year via the award to the AP.

More on this scurrilous story

(There is more on the AP's award for photography in Scott's piece - equally scurrilous.)

Schadow

I got a first or second place ribbon once for a finger paint hand impression in the 5th grade! I am prouder of that moment and hold it in far more esteem then a pulitzer prize.

Silly children, these people who pine for 'now' worthless awards. The loons have destroyed the Nobel as well as the Pulitzer as anything to be considered with esteemed acknowledged respect of ones excellance in any particular field of study.

Just crazed, silly kids running around screaming sophistic nothing, while demanding respect for even less.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The talented British writer, Mark Steyn, writes a followup to PowerLine's story about the NYT Pulitzer:

Quote:
This Powerline analysis is devastating and correct. One of the reasons "big" journalism is becoming ever more contemptible to the wider public is because it's so hicky and parochial: Journalistic institutions like the Pulitzers see the media as a world in and of itself rather than as merely observers of the real world.

Whether or not to scuttle the NSA surveillance program is not about winning a prize but about winning a war - and the inability of the press to understand that reflects very poorly on them. I used to criticize the Pulitzer winners mainly because they were unreadable - like that incoherent gay-marriage burbler from The Rutland Herald who won a couple of years back - and, whenever I did so, I'd get leftie e-mails saying it's just 'cause I'm a loser who hasn't a hope of ever nailing a Pulitzer.

As it happens, I'm ineligible. British newspaper awards are open to writers published in British newspapers and Canadian newspaper awards are open to writers published in Canadian newspapers but the wee delicate Pulitzers are only open to US citizens. So I'm ineligible. And, after the quasi-collaborationist AP photo awards and the national security-damaging NYT awards, that's just as well because I wouldn't want the thing in the house.

Source

Of course the original traitor involved in this is the weasel in Congress who gave the NYT the story in the first place. The NYT's weak pronouncement that they did "not expose any technical intelligence-gathering methods or capabilities that are not already on the public record" is undoubtedly because their congressional informant was not aware of anything technical or the NYT would have printed it.

The Attorney General is allegedly investigating this whole sordid tale and we can only hope he starts marching the participants, including Risen and Lichtblau to grand juries soon, promising them that they can take their Pulitzers to prison with them.

Schadow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: