SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McCain: Clean Government More Important Than 1st Amendment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: McCain: Clean Government More Important Than 1st Amendment Reply with quote

McCain interview with Imus

RedState.org
McCain: "Clean Government" More Important Than 1st Amendment
By: machiavel
Quote:

I don't kid:

Quote:
"He [Michael Graham] also mentioned my abridgement of First Amendment rights, i.e. talking about campaign finance reform....I know that money corrupts....I would rather have a clean government than one where quote First Amendment rights are being respected, that has become corrupt. If I had my choice, I'd rather have the clean government."

This one will be hard even for Marshall Wittmann to spin. I don't see how this could possibly have been taken out of context.

I would submit to the Senator that clean government is impossible without the First Amendment, and a sometimes zealous respect for the freedoms it offers.

Link to video/audio of McCain on Imus
atRedState.org
and here
go to the website and listen Rolling Eyes

that would be the same McCain, of the McCain-Feingold anti-First-Amendment Campaign Finance reform Bill
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCain is an arse !!
Our founding fathers took years to iron out the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. As service personel, when we joined we took an oath to support and defend the Consitiution. I'm don't know about the esteemed Senator, but when I take an oath, it has no time limit. It is for life. I'm not willing to surrender any of my rights.

Jack
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn’t like the Second Amendment either. Makes you wonder what he thinks of the rest of the Bill of Rights. He agrees with sKerry way too much for me to ever vote for him.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting and disconcerting that he sees it as a choice - one or the other. There's no choice at all; it's Both, Both, Both!
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, people should contact the RNC and tell them that McCain is not a canidate that anyone would support except the liberal left of the RNC and I know I will not do it.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtboone wrote:
I think, people should contact the RNC and tell them that McCain is not a canidate that anyone would support except the liberal left of the RNC and I know I will not do it.

McCain thinks he's got it in the bag

(president) Mc Cain's skerry moment
aka McCain's new mideast policy

JewishPress.com
Quote:
McCain: Kerry Revisited?
By: Jason Maoz, Senior Editor
May 10, 2006

Arizona Sen. John McCain, the early front-runner for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination, had a potential John Connally/Mike Dukakis/John Kerry moment earlier this month, and hardly anyone seems to have noticed.

What McCain did was make some disturbing informal remarks to the Israeli daily Haaretz – informal only in the sense that as a still undeclared candidate, his comments, as Haaretz’s Amir Oren wrote, "reflect the personal opinion of a senior and influential figure in the area of defense policy in the United States Senate, rather than an attempt to formulate policy guidelines for his administration."

McCain told Haaretz that as president, he would "micromanage" U.S. policy toward Israel and the Palestinians and would dispatch "the smartest guy I know" to the region, presumably to jump-start a new push for a comprehensive accord.

Asked who that "smartest guy" might be, McCain responded: "Brent Scowcroft, or James Baker, though I know that you in Israel don’t like Baker."

McCain foresaw "concessions and sacrifices by both sides" and indicated that Israel would be expected to "Defend itself and keep evacuating." Asked whether that meant "movement toward the June 4, 1967 armistice lines, with minor modifications," McCain, reported Haaretz, "nodded in the affirmative."

McCain’s statements are jarring not only because they reflect the view, long championed by the State Department and both the moderate and liberal wings of the Democratic party, that the U.S. can somehow "micromanage" a fair and equitable Mideast peace (code for unilateral Israeli concessions, since the Palestinians have nothing concrete to concede), but as well for the almost cavalier dismissal of concerns about an interlocutor on the order of a James Baker.

(McCain’s mention of Scowcroft, whose Mideast views and chilly attitude toward Israel are indistinguishable from those usually attributed to Baker, is equally instructive and should serve as one more caveat for McCain supporters in the pro-Israel community.)

Judging from the Mideast-related mishaps of previous high-profile presidential wannabes, the reaction to McCain’s comments would have been far less muted had he made them later in the campaign cycle (the first presidential primaries are still some 20 months away and McCain, as noted by Amir Oren, hasn’t officially declared his candidacy). Time will tell whether his remarks in Haaretz were an aberration or a harbinger.

McCain’s reference to James Baker was especially curious given the flurry of criticism that descended on John Kerry during the 2004 presidential campaign when the Massachusetts senator told the Council on Foreign Relations that if elected president he would appoint the "uniquely qualified" Jimmy Carter, James Baker or Bill Clinton as his Middle East peace envoy.

Kerry only made things worse when he claimed afterward – despite evidence to the contrary in the "as prepared for delivery" version of the speech posted on his own website – that the offending passage had been inserted into the speech at the last minute by staffers.
<snip>
emphasis added

Dont recall seeing this in the antique media. Wonder how he would "micromanage" U.S. policy with the Iranian nutcase. McCain following in skerry's failed footsteps, could be a good thing, 'cept he needs to fail at the nomination stage.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCain/Feingold ..............A better title would be "The Incumbent Protection Act.
It was designed to muzzle those pesky organizations like the NRA, etc, who spend the big bucks in the waning days of the campaign season on ads designed to alert their voters, and leave the field monopolised by the fawning MSM and the blitz of ads from incumbents with far more funds than most challengers can raise.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in AZ, I didn't vote for him last time and won't ever again.

hope no one has forgotten the Chief's letter about when he worked with Kerry and McCain. I haven't.
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: