SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

National Guard To Patrol Border
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: National Guard To Patrol Border Reply with quote

From National Review Online:

National Guard [Kathryn Jean Lopez]

Drudge and a newsroom source of mine says we're headed toward an announcement that the National Guard is heading to the southern border. Some notes:
The Pentagon is preparing to mobilize as many as 5-thousand National Guard troops to assist in patrolling the southwest borders, in an effort to slow the flow of Mexican illegal immigrants into the U.S. President Bush is expected to annonce his decision on the possible use of military forces in his speech Monday night.

According to Pentagon and military officials, while the federal government would pay for the deployments the National Guard forces would remain under the command of the individual state governments, similar to the way National Guard forces are deployed and paid for during natural disasters.

Posted at 12:50 PM
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K A - B O O M ! ! ! !
(assuming it's true)
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

President will address the nation at 8:00 pm tonight.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: November Elections Reply with quote

Ya reckon this (if true) will have much effect on elections in November? Toss in tax deductions for contributions for a FENCE and GOP is home free. No brainers.
biker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

President Bush will address the nation on immigration reform Monday night from the Oval Office. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,195244,00.html
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, I misread, thought it was tonight. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060512/pl_nm/usa_immigration_bush_dc_1
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's keep an eye out for the response from the Borg.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1, are you a Trekkie?
Hmm, I never pondered the Borg in the context of OUR alien problems.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an, "IT'S ABOUT TIME" statement might be in order.

Now if Iraq will just continue to come around......

Dusty
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least something is being put on the table in this area. But there seems to be this little problem called the Posse Comitatus Act. So I don't know how it's possible without changing the law (which wouldn't be a bad thing to do IMHO).
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The House of Representatives voted on Thursday to grant Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, the authority to assign National Guard troops to patrol the Southern Border. The vote was 252 - 171 in favor of authorization.

The Guard is to be under authority of the individual State's governors much like deployment during natural disasters.

Doesn't this get around the Posse Comitatus?
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Active Duty. Reply with quote

Mebbe the Act only applies to active duty military.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawa, thanks - I didn't know that. I guess there's still a Senate vote to come?

But in thinking about this, maybe the Act doesn't apply since FEDERAL law enforcement is already vested with this responsibility - i.e., they wouldn't be usurping State authority.

I don't know. I'll watch this with interest.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple of things on this border issue nagging at me ( emphasis mine)
Reuters
Quote:
Pentagon considers sending troops to border
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon has begun drawing up plans to send troops and equipment to the U.S. border with Mexico, where hundreds of thousands of migrants enter the country illegally each year, a defense official said on Friday.
Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld discussed border issues at the Pentagon with his Mexican counterpart, Defense Minister Gen. Gerardo Clemente Ricardo Vega. Mexico and the United States share a 2,000-mile border.

"The U.S. and Mexican governments continue to work together to control the border and collaborate on these important efforts," said

U.S. Navy Lt. Cmdr. J.D. Gordon, a Pentagon spokesman.

"This cooperation includes limited U.S. assistance with training, equipping and funding Mexico security forces so that they can better meet our shared challenges in protecting the border," he said.

<snip>
Sooo, with our taxes, we're going to pay Mexican Security forces to do their own job?? Devil is in the details, wonder if this is part of the $$ that the House approved... Rolling Eyes writing congresscritters, yet again

and then this....
Schumer senate page
Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 22, 2002
SCHUMER, CLINTON WANT TO ARM NATIONAL GUARD TROOPS ON THE BORDER

New York Senators join Senate's National Guard Caucus in asking President to let National Guard troops carry sidearms to protect themselves

US Senators Charles E. Schumer and Hillary Rodham Clinton today joined the Senate's National Guard Caucus – comprised of almost 60 of their Senate colleagues – in asking President Bush to arm the National Guard troops recently deployed to the nation's borders.

As part of its efforts to beef up security along the borders, the Administration deployed National Guard troops on an interim basis to assist Border Patrol, INS and Customs agents but did not arm them. In a letter to the President, the Senators asked the Bush Administration to reverse its decision to bar National Guard personnel from carrying sidearms for strictly protective purposes.

<snip>
"Previous call-ups of the National Guard to carry out border duties have permitted troops to carry sidearms for protection. These activations include the extensive National Guard Counterdrug program. Additionally, Guard forces called up to increase security at the airports, the Capitol and the Olympics have also been permitted to carry weapons for protection. We do not see the extraordinary difference in the circumstances of this most recent border mission to warrant such a drastic change in policy.

"We understand that under long-standing posse comitatus restrictions the National Guard may not participate in federal law enforcement activities when activated by the President under Title 10. We simply want Guard forces who might be in harm's way to have the ability to protect themselves. We hope that you will look into this situation quickly and respond to our concerns as soon as possible."
This refers to Guard forces already at the border in support of ICE. Seems to me shouldn't one who is in uniform have access to a weapon - doesn't their uniform make then a target? Appreciate the Vets comments on this one.

Last edited by kate on Sat May 13, 2006 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope someone in the White House has read Sowells latest:

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/thomassowell/2006/05/11/196974.html

-Wlm Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: