SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry's confession as a war criminal.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:

Not true at all. What constitutes a "war crime" is subject to interpretation and one of the reasons the Bush administration gave when it reversed Clinton's endorsement of the the International Criminal Court, the authoritative body at the Hague that presides over war crimes, was that the language was too vague regarding what exactly "war crimes" are.

You mean when the Bush administration reversed Clinton's unconstitutional endorsement of an agreement that is directly contrary to the US Constitution? You have read the Constitution, haven't you?

Oh, and regarding the ICC and it's definition of war crimes? The problem is that they don't bother to use the definitions set forth in International Conventions. They make up their own. A very Eurocentric point of view.
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point was that conservatives agree: the ICC defines "war criminal" vaguely and broadly.

Hardly " universal" as you're claiming in your effort to smear Kerry. "War crimes" are subject to debate and not something easily settled, determined, or agreed upon.

Whether it was constitutional or not isn't the point I'm arguing.
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy wrote:
Sparky, I see that you did not reply to my last post here or to that of Greenhat. Is there a problem?

Buddy, I was just going back over this thread and saw your above quote. I then looked at the post you're referring to and remembered why I didn't respond. It's stupid and full of misspellings. Don't think I'm avoiding it because of content.

As for not responding to Greenhate's post, he asked:
Quote:
How many times have you had an AK fired at you, Sparky?

What's to respond? I'm not going to get into the you're-not-entitled-to-an-opinion-because-you-weren't-there nonsense.
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:

What's to respond? I'm not going to get into the you're-not-entitled-to-an-opinion-because-you-weren't-there nonsense.

Duh. Wrong. The point is that you are unaware of why that piece of fiction you posted is so evidently a piece of fiction. If you had ever had an AK fired at you, you would understand that.
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:

Hardly " universal" as you're claiming in your effort to smear Kerry. "War crimes" are subject to debate and not something easily settled, determined, or agreed upon.

The definitions from the Geneva and Hague Conventions are pretty much universal. The fact that the ICC tries to impose a standard that is not agreed to by the International Committee is one of the reasons that the ICC is laughed at outside of Europe (in other words, in most of the world).
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah. The wording may be accepted widely, but the interpretation of that wording isn't.

BushCorp Inc. was clear in not wanting US troops held to what it considered vague and broad standards and definitions of "war crime."

Much of the world has signed on to the Rome Statute of the ICC. 143 nations, in fact. The US exemption is described in the second link

http://www.iccnow.org/countryinfo/worldsigsandratifications.html

http://www.iccnow.org/countryinfo/theamericas/unitedstates.html
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

193 nations in the world, of which 93 have actually ratified the ICC.

The US is on the signitory list. Didn't you notice?
DannyH
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interview with Alan Colmes this week, John Kerry said:

"But that doesn't change the impact of what has happened in that prison through our own efforts, which have put American troops at greater risk, put Americans at greater risk, tarnished all of us and, I think, been a great disservice to the effort that we have been engaged in over there. I will fight a more effective war on terror, because I would never have thrown out of the door or window the obligations of the Geneva Conventions. Why? Because I know, as a former combatant, that, had I been captured, I would have wanted our moral high ground with respect to those Geneva Conventions to be in place. "

But on April 18, 1971, on the nationally televised MEET THE PRESS, during a time while the U.S. was at war and American POWs were imprisoned in North Vietnam, John Kerry said:

JOHN KERRY: "There are all kinds of atrocities and I would have to say that, yes, yes, I committed the same kind of atrocities as thousands of other soldiers have committed... ...All of this is contrary to the laws of warfare. All of this is contrary to the Geneva Conventions and all of this ordered as a matter of written established policy by the government of the United States from the top down. "

By his own claim he damned himself, as he willingly put American POWs lives in danger back in 1971. That he lied and implied that war atrocities were official U.S. doctrine put the American POWs in even further danger. Kerry needs to be held accountable.
DannyH
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that Alan Colmes had to be shaking his head at that one, knowing that even though Kerry had a friendly interviewer ready to make him look good, Kerry still managed to stick his foot right into a land mine with a big red "DON'T STEP HERE' sign on it.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:

BushCorp Inc. was clear in not wanting US troops held to what it considered vague and broad standards and definitions of "war crime."

Maybe you missed Rumsfeld's sworn testimony that it is US policy AND standing orders of the Armed Forces that prisoners will be treated in accordance with the Geneva conventions?

Maybe you missed the fact that within 48 hours of SPC Darby's putting his complaint up the chain, a full-scale investigation had been launched?

Maybe you missed the fact that throughout both war theaters, ICRC recommendations were being taken into consideration and acted upon?

Maybe you missed the fact that even though they stand accused or are under investigation, these renegades are entitled to virtually the same level of protections of due process as is required in US criminal courts?

These protections were denied to these soldiers with the illegal release of GEN Taguba's report to the press before it had even left CENTCOM. (I hope someone is severely choking on their 30 pieces of silver, at this point. They have blood on their hands.)

They were denied the protections of due process and are now subject to contamination of the jury pool by the fact that one or more participants sold their stories and pictures to 60 Minutes. More people with blood on their hands.

God help our poor partisan press if they were to try to operate under the same constrictions under which they operated in WWII.

Of course, back then, our press was on OUR side. Rolling Eyes
ROTC DAD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy,

Maybe you missed the fact that the Administration knew that torture was going on in their military prison system since at least January of this year and didn't do anything about it other than ignore the report when they got it.

It's amazing, but just about every official publication of the military press is calling for heads to roll in the chain of command, but on this forum torturers and their commanders are being defended!
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTC DAD wrote:
Navy_Navy_Navy,

Maybe you missed the fact that the Administration knew that torture was going on in their military prison system since at least January of this year and didn't do anything about it other than ignore the report when they got it.

I don't consider investigations in accordance with the UCMJ to be nothing.
ROTC DAD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenhat,

That's fine, except your assertion explains nothing. What do you consider it when the Red Cross tells the Provisional Authority in Iraq that US soldiers are torturing Iraqis, 90% of whom it appears were just picked up on random sweeps, The Pentagon is notified, the WH is notified, an investigation is begun which produces a report about abuse, but not only is nothing done to stop the abuse, the organizations which supposedly requested the report have yet to read it when it breaks in the news, even though General Myers was given two extra weeks before the story broke to read the damn thing?

Now it turns out there is a memo penned by Gonzales which calls certain aspects of the Geneva Convention "quaint" and open to a more liberal interpretation. So where does the line get drawn?
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever conducted a criminal investigation under UCMJ guidelines, ROTCD?

It is a time consuming process, and one that is very specifically laid out. Failure to do it properly? Could mean all those people walk. As it is? Some have/will because the process was rushed.
ROTC DAD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenhat,

Rushed? I think you're reaching here. This is the usual answer given when a bureaucracy is shown not to have done right.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: