SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iran Declares War on the United States & nobody noticed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Iran Declares War on the United States & nobody noticed Reply with quote

http://www.nysun.com/article/32594
Quote:

Iran Declares War
New York Sun Editorial
May 11, 2006

President Ahmadinejad's letter to President Bush, widely interpreted as a peaceful overture, is in fact a declaration of war. The key sentence in the letter is the closing salutation. In an eight-page text of the letter being circulated by the Council on Foreign Relations, it is left untranslated and rendered as "Vasalam Ala Man Ataba'al hoda." What this means is "Peace only unto those who follow the true path."

It is a phrase with historical significance in Islam, for, according to Islamic tradition, in year six of the Hejira - the late 620s - the prophet Mohammad sent letters to the Byzantine emperor and the Sassanid emperor telling them to convert to the true faith of Islam or be conquered. The letters included the same phrase that President Ahmadinejad used to conclude his letter to Mr. Bush. For Mohammad, the letters were a prelude to a Muslim offensive, a war launched for the purpose of imposing Islamic rule over infidels.
(click on the link for the full article.)

These people must be nuts.
Incredible, The NY Sun was the only news source that figured this out.

Last edited by BuffaloJack on Thu May 11, 2006 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just subscribed to the "Electronic Edition" of the NY Sun.

For the 3 years or so that I have been exposed to it, this newspaper has been a reliable source of news and conservative views that would never see daylight in traditional media. From their supportive coverage of the SVPT story (can you ever forget the level of anticipation we collectively felt while awaiting the next Thomas Lipscomb exposé?) to editorials such as the above, the NY Sun has been a bastion of conservative thought.

That kind of reportage is well worth supporting with your subscription dollars.

On edit: After briefly skimming the NY Sun website, I discovered (to my great satisfaction) that all of the Sun's archives are open and free to online subscribers in a hi-tech format that will delight both the historian and the casual reader.

An actual graphic of EVERY page is presented with each story and photo hyperlinked to the original article. It's really a wonderful presentation and I recommend it highly.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Thu May 11, 2006 5:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10,
You're correct about the Sun. I just checked a bunch of their stories from the past few weeks. They ARE CONSERVATIVE. I've modified my last post to remove the liberal reference, and my apologies to the Sun.
Keep up the good work.
Jack
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.irna.ir/en/news/view/line-24/0605110155191821.htm
Iranian President says his letter to President Bush was an invitation to Islam... adding that its response will determine the future.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
Me#1You#10,
You're correct about the Sun. I just checked a bunch of their stories from the past few weeks. They ARE CONSERVATIVE. I've modified my last post to remove the liberal reference, and my apologies to the Sun.
Keep up the good work.
Jack

Sorta slightly extremely conservative, and one reporter was very sympathetic to the Swift Boat cause in the '04 elections.

All you get is the Sun's "headline" without paying, but follow this trail:
http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14551&highlight=thomas
the <edit> conclusion of </edit> the above link came out (IMHO) a day late to really matter,
but it was the thought that counted.
The Sun and Lipscomb were the only outfit I can remember that were actually trying to get some facts to the public.

HowTheHeck is Navy Chief doing these days, Me#1You#10?

If he gets in a jam again, I'd gladly use PayPal again! Very Happy Very Happy
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwb7605 wrote:

All you get is the Sun's "headline" without paying, but follow this trail:
http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14551&highlight=thomas

Well, that was quite a trip down memory lane, all 49 pages of it Wink
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the link again.
Evidently the Sun now considers it yesterday's news and the full article is now available without subscribing.

The fact that the Iranians have now stated that the Sun's interpretation is correct is what concerns me. Although they are known for lots of saber rattling, they're also insane enough to pull something that could escalate the conflict over there.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Iran Declares War on the United States & nobody noticed
the antique media had been spinning the letter, but some of the blogs were on it from day one

the invitation to Bush to convert to Islam --
is very, very alarming -

link
<snip>
Quote:
Interviewed on the Michael Medved radio show yesterday, Adams noted bin Laden stated his grievances against the United States and gave Americans the opportunity to "repent."

Based on precedent, Adams continued, he expects the next step will be for Iran to make the invitation public. Then the "crimes" of the U.S. will be published and the grievances will be cited at Friday prayers in mosques. Finally, comes a fatwa, amounting to a declaration of war.

Adams, associate editor of Citizen magazine, said it's possible this scenario could unfold in a matter of weeks.

any one wonder which side Jimmy Carter will be on
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is that a letter from the Iranian president could be carrying a message to sleeper cells world-wide that it's time to prepare for action. But what do I know?
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno, but if true, this doesn't sound good

reuters
Quote:
Iran president to send letter to Pope
Thu May 18, 2006

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is writing a letter to Pope Benedict, following an unprecedented letter to U.S. President George W. Bush earlier this month, a newspaper said on Thursday.

"President Ahmadinjad's second letter is for Pope Benedict and will be sent in the next days," Jomhuri-ye Eslami newspaper, which is close to Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, quoted unnamed sources as saying.

The newspaper gave no details of the letter's content. Iranian officials were not available to comment.

In the first direct communication between the two countries' presidents for more than two decades, Ahmadinejad wrote a long missive to Bush this month in which he questioned his commitment to Christian values and criticised U.S. foreign policy.

<snip>

MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
Another possibility is that a letter from the Iranian president could be carrying a message to sleeper cells world-wide that it's time to prepare for action. But what do I know?

That is so true... we have no idea how many ways they communicate. There are already so many ways to send messages... Seems like Tom Clancy had the right idea 10 years ago. He almost seems to be the Nostradamas of the 20th/21st century Razz

I have thought for a long time that, at least in the U.S. (since we don't have control outside) that any vids/audio from terrorists should be censured (right word?!) because of this very subject.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: