SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unit Conducting Security Mission Keeps Local Sheikh Informed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Unit Conducting Security Mission Keeps Local Sheikh Informed Reply with quote

defenselink.mil

Quote:
Unit Conducting Security Mission Keeps Local Sheikh Informed
American Forces Press Service ^ | Jim Garamone
Posted on 05/19/2006

CAMP TAJI, Iraq, May 19, 2006 – In this war on terror, a house call may be more important than a combat fire mission.

That's why Army Capt. Juan Santiago, commander of Aztec Battery, 4th Battalion, 42nd Field Artillery, was going to visit Sheikh Majoob.

The sheikh is the leader of what Americans would call a tribe. The tribes are an extension of the family for both Sunni and Shiia Arabs, and are the center of their loyalty.

<snip>

After the food comes the talk. Ahmad speaks of his experience in the old Iraqi army and what his unit - the 2nd Tank Battalion - will do when it takes over the area.

Majoob speaks of a member of his tribe who allegedly has been kidnapped by the tribe to the south. Santiago and Whitford share notes and begin to make plans.

While all this is going on, young men bring chai out to all gathered in the room. Chai is tea served in small glasses. It is laced with brown sugar - lots of it - and it is the real lubricant of life in Iraq.

The discussion becomes heated. One man complains about the new Iraqi government and says he doesn't want the country's newly elected leaders -- he wants U.S. Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld to be the president of Iraq.

more...

heehee take that all you complainin' retired generals
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off... brown sugar.. lots of it?! eww...

Next, what I see (that the LSM isn't showing), is the effort that is put forth to at least make the attempt to conform to the locals... All this "British troops know how to take care of locals better than the U.S." BS is not only irritating, it's insulting to us. I know, as well as most, if not all of you here, that the U.S. forces in Iraq are doing their utmost to service Iraq and the public as a whole.... to protect the common citizens as well as the future government there as a whole. It brings tears to me eyes when I see the troops there, "trained killers", holding in their arms the local kids... passing out toys and candy sent from generous people back in the states (and probably from many other countries).... It infuriates me when I see the same actions taken advantage of when the terrorists bomb a place where such humanitarian understanding and kindness is making positive roads toward peace.

It also infuriates me, as all of you, I'm sure, that the LSM doesn't cover ANY of this.. and we all have to see and read about it on blogs and web pages... I know this is old news for most of us here... but I needed to vent a little.... not that it will do much >.<

Thanks for reading...

Freedom is NOT free...
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chi is unpalatable with out TONS of sugar - brown is more readily available over there according to my sister-in-law who was there for the first go around.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Coffee Reply with quote

Before patrols in VN, I would make a "coffee". At least two packs of coffee, one cocoa, some cream and lotsa brown sugar. Talk about WIRED.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: