SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Was today Memorial or Veterans Day?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Was today Memorial or Veterans Day? Reply with quote

I went to a Memorial Day symphony performance yesterday and not once did they speak of those who died while serving. Many references were made to Iraq and those currently serving to keep us 'Free' as well as the Veterans who gave so much past wars, yet where was the mention of those who died during war?

Did not happen and today while reading the headlines in newspapers and viewing the stories on various websites, where is the mention of those who died during warfare?

If we can no longer acknowledge the ultimate noble sacrifice why have a Memorial Day?
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more, GenrXr.

And what's up with "Happy Memorial Day" ???? Are we telling a person who died for his country to have a nice day? I guess I shouldn't be so critical, but it has always bugged me.

The real travesty, of course, is the endless hype with Memorial Day car sales, Memorial Day furniture sales, Memorial Day department store sales, ad naseum.

Of course today, May 30th, is actually Memorial Day. Congress changed it in 1971 to the last Monday in May. That was the same congress that afforded sKerry a platform to slime all of us as war criminals. Sometimes our elected leaders do not make such great decisions.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again, on the upside:

I "did" the Bolder Boulder (10 kilometer, or 6.25 mile) citizens run, along with my wife, daughter and granddaughter yesterday.
Boulder is normally one of your anti-war, anti-military, anti-Bush college towns (proud home of Ward Churchill!). Yesterday, though, most of that stuff was left behind.

There were, I believe, 44,000+ citizens who participated. I passed and was passed by more people than I could keep track of with an "In Honor Of" sign on the back of their jerseys. I saw rememberances for veterans (living and dead) from every war from WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and both Gulf wars.

Once inside the stadium, I did see one obligatory "Bush Lied, Impeach the president" T-Shirt. Nobody was paying much attention to the guy.
We were more interested in the parachute entrances by the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard representatives, and the speech by the son of a Medal of Honor winner.
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the wineries in Oregon are only open for tasting on Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends. My wife and I went winery hopping yesterday. The Eola Hills winery charged $5.00 admission to cover tasting up to 26 of their wines, food, and live music. They were offering 10% to 15% off of a case of their wines. The young woman at the entrance asked if I was a war veteran. I said, “Yes, I am a Viet Nam Veteran” and showed her my retired ID card. She said, “Today is free for you and you can take an extra 10% off of any of our special prices. Thank you for your service.” It was a very pleasant unadvertised surprise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: