SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View from the bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hans Burkhardt
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: View from the bridge Reply with quote

I guess I won’t get away from this computer and get any work done until I throw in my 2 cents worth.

I believe that there are two issues at work here: 1. Kerry’s fitness to hold the office of president and; 2. Vietnam Veterans’ hostility toward Kerry. I think that what’s really confusing the pundits, and the public at large, is that both issues are being rolled into #1.

1. Personally, I wouldn’t vote for John Kerry if he had earned the Medal of Honor. This opinion is based on his congressional record and my dislike of the liberal agenda leaning toward a welfare state (if you have a different opinion, fine, we’ll fight it out with our ballots). In short, his wartime record has little to do with his executive capabilities.

As an afterthought to this point; contrary to the 1996 opinion of the Clinton followers, character does matter and I believe that Kerry showed his both in his abbreviated tour of duty and in his actions when he came back.

Here’s where it gets tricky (for non Viet Vets):

2. I certainly don’t feel that you have to be a Viet Vet (or a Vet at all for that matter) to express and opinion on issues such as this. But, you have to be a Viet Vet to truly feel the resentment against the faction that (un)welcomed us home. On his own volition, John Kerry made himself the poster boy for that faction. People cannot really relate until they have had some snot nosed UC Berkley puke ask them how many babies they killed. I think that we would be disingenuous if we didn’t admit that, in my opinion, it’s payback time.

A simple analogy for those that think you had to be on the boat with Kerry to judge his fitness/character: If a city has a division of motorcycle policemen, do the good cops have to be on the bike with the bad apple to pass judgement?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans,

I thank you for your service and I'm glad you made it home alive!

No, we probably don't feel what you feel, but millions of us DO at least, theoretically understand the depth of the betrayal - we empathise and stand at your backs, today.

Thank you for your post. Stay vocal - the time has never been better for the American people to hear your story than it is, right now.
Spiess
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: A side note. Reply with quote

I am not a Viet Vet, I am a veteran however,
I believe and feel betrayed everytime the man opens his mouth, He is one of the most destructive public personalities out there, and has done nothing less then damage this nation since he returned. I simply cannot imagine what it would have been like to have served with him, its deplorable at best.
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a vietnam vet either...I am a vet. I am against Kerry 87 billions times over. I know I can not fully understand the betrayal Vietnam vets feel...but trust me I do share the pain! I do know one thing...vets share a bond regardless of gender, age and branches of service...the respect we have for each other non-vets can not ever understand. All vets share a sense of pride in their service to their country, we all honor the flag with great respect because we know how much blood, sweat and tears went into protecting her. Vets will come together and band together to win the war against Kerry...that is how I feel about this...a war we must win.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: