SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's Gingrich's to Lose in 2008
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: It's Gingrich's to Lose in 2008 Reply with quote

Newt Gingrich way out front of fellow GOP-ers in a new and innovative poll from John Zogby about 2008 presidential candidates...

Quote:
Sorry, Hillary. And Big John, you might have missed your chance in 2000. That's because a new and innovative poll from John Zogby about 2008 presidential candidates finds former Republican Speaker Newt Gingrich way out front of fellow GOP-ers like Sen. John McCain and also finds moderates like former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner far ahead of libs like Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. Here's the unusual thing about the Zogby poll released to Whispers: When questioning likely primary voters, only brief biographies and resumes-not names-were given. In other words, voters picked the one with the best experience.

US News & World Report Con't
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newt's been my pick for quite some time. Here is a guy who is learned, articulate and a classic conservative. He could drive any lefty currently in contention off the stage in debate.

Schadow
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been leaning towards Newt's corner for some time now. This is welcome news to me.

One thing fersure, should Newt manage to garner the nomination, win or lose, Americans (and his opposition) will be treated to a history lesson they won't soon forget. I don't think you can find someone quicker on his intellectual feet than Newt.

BTW, he's recently begun publishing a newsletter that you might find interesting. Sign up at Newt.org.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one will be voting for him both in the Primaries and Nov. 2008. He's definitely one of the few Leaders in the country who actually know History! He may be one of the few who get it, and certainly gets the prize for demonization by the (seduce-me-please) MSM. Yep, fer sure after President Bush, were Newt to win the big one, every attempted terrorist attack would become Newt's fault in the MSM. And every time Newt's approval rating in the polls went up to 42%, CBS would be quick to come out with a poll showing his approval rating is 'really' only 36%, etc, etc, etc. Yep at least we could keep status quo...ie, no 'major' terrorist attacks while a strong leader is in the white house.

Go Newt,
Deuce
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still mostly undecided as to '08, so far. Two years out is still a long way to go. I like Newt, but not sure he is electable, time will tell. One thing for certain, McPain will never get my vote.

Truthfully, I'm more concerned about the '06 elections and the left's all out assault on the right, even to the point of lying. Received another email from the DCCC signed by Carvelle and Begalia. Of course, they state the Swiftees have regrouped under the monicker of Veterans For The Truth and stating unmerciful attacks against their latest "hero," Murtha.

We know it isn't true, but how many voters just assume they are being told the truth?

Personally, I'd rather see Newt, Allen and other front runners for '08 supporting candidates for the '06 elections first. Let's get through this one, hopefully keeping the House and Senate and then worry about '08.

McPain can just slither away.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This needs explaining, and I can't do it, so make of this what you will:

Both my (liberal) manager and I would vote for Gingrich if given the chance.
Neither of us think he's electable.
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would vote for him or Rudy..but I am afraid he is damaged goods.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I fuzzily remember, there are three events concerning Newt that the Dems/MSM could pound him with:

There's a thing about Newt taking divorce papers for his first wife to sign on her death bed. I don't remember the specifics of this but it probably had something to do with estate matters. Never mind that there was a reasonable explanation for this, this will be played as a heartless, cruel episode.

Then there was the Connie Chung interview with Newt's elderly mother. Newt had coached his mother to not talk about family or personal stuff but Chung told the mother that anything she said would not go beyond the two of them. Of course, Chung ignored her promise and broadcast the whole interview. I don't remember what the juicy item was.

And finally there was the fact that Newt had (gasp!) accepted an advance for a book he was writing while Speaker.

If he's going to run, he'd better get out in front of these and any other possible skeletons well before the race gets going.

Schadow
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'd get my vote over any of the other stars on the horizon.

Dusty
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Newt a lot. I met him back in the early eighties when he spoke to our local Republican Club. He was touring the country promoting his "Opportunity Society" plan to counter the monster Welfare State. After his presentation, he mingled with those in attendance and sat down next to me at our table. We had a great conversation, he has a brilliant mind.
However, I am also one who doesn't think he is electable. Over the years, the Left and the media have successfully painted him as the evil GRINCH!! Remember the Time and Newsweek covers.

I think Giuliani is electable, though he has some baggage, he is still quite popular.
I am also looking at Mitt Romney. I tend to believe that former governors and businessmen do a better job of running the country than former 'congresscritters' do.

All three of these men are realists when it comes to terrorism, and I believe they would hang tough in the WOT.
For the future of my children and grandchildren, this is the #1 issue for me.
This morning, The Spectator has this article on Romney:
Quote:
Things are looking up for Mitt Romney. Not only has the outgoing Massachusetts governor been getting reasonably favorable press from usually hostile places but, courtesy of George Allen's Macaca moment, his position in the 2008 Republican presidential field suddenly looks more secure -- the most viable candidate to the right of front-runners John McCain and Rudy Giuliani.....

Cont'd The American Spectator
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is garbage.
Newt will be, at best, third,
behind McCain and Rudi, or others,

after Iowa and N.H.

besides that, Newt has all the charisma
of Dick Cheney
Deuce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly this is a bipartisan debate, so I'll add another 2 cents worth. With the new media (the internet, blogs, lotsa new 'facts', etc), even the 'average American' now knows the '527 Media'* has, over the years, successfully demonized an inordinate number of conservatives who stood in the way of getting their favorite globalist du jour elected! Newt was just such a demon, in the eyes of the 527 Media. These past few years have not been kind to the 527 Media, and that's not about to change given the 527 Media agenda today. In the 70's I happened to work for a company that merged eventually with one of the 527 Media, and in 1980 was given the opportunity to attend a 'Media course'...that many others have attended. Most have heard of the "When did you last beat your wife" question used in 'the old days' by the 527 Media. That course was designed to help dodge that question and get back 'on message' during media interviews. The point being, most corporations have known the 527 Media's agend a for decades...the average consumer is now getting that education in spades.
I am optimistic that the facts (not the demonization 'talking points') can come out on Newt, as they have surfaced on others (like Katherine Harris, McCarthy, etc) and are available for anyone with an open mind. I am also optimistic that self preservation will avail more people with open minds to search out the polls than we normally see in mid-year elections. Next week I'll be heading to the fla primaries to vote for Katherine Harris. Yep, I'm Katherine Harris Crazy (think that's in wikipedia now) too!

Deuce
* for a great description of the 527 Media see
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/08/taking_on_the_527_media.html
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Deuce. Good article by Babbin.

Quote:
Excerpt:
......The first ground truth is that the liberal media, not the Democrats, are the party standing in opposition to the Republicans. The Democrats ran out of ideas the night Bobby Kennedy died, and since then the media have become the primary source of Democrat ideas and policy.

The second truth is that the media are more than just the Dems' think tank. In fact, some of the biggest media outlets are the source of thinly veiled attack ads aimed at your candidates just like the so-called "527 Groups," those huge soft-money peddlers supposedly independent of the candidates they support. Think of what George Soros could do if he had a global news network that could produce multi-million dollar attack ads every day, and then you'll know what some mainstream media outlets have become. Rightly or wrongly, given their history with CBS, ABC, NBC, the New York Times, the Washington Post and lately, AP, some conservatives classify them among the worst offenders.

The "527 Media" -- and that's what you should be calling them -- are essentially political activists. They are in the campaign business nearly as much as they are in the business of reporting the news these days. They will be tossing October surprises at Republicans all day every day from September 5, when Katie Couric takes over at CBS, until the election returns are certified.......

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time around, I think "You Tube" will be the bigger decider than the 527's. (witness George Allen's "macaca" moment)
Anyone can put up their own ad, in the form of a simple video, which, depending on its appeal could be seen by millions (and even picked up by the blogs and MSM).
The internet is still evolving and its faster than McCain/Fiengold abracadabra can block.
(just an old salt here who can't wait to see whats next)
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagle wrote:
This time around, I think "You Tube" will be the bigger decider than the 527's. (witness George Allen's "macaca" moment)
Anyone can put up their own ad, in the form of a simple video, which, depending on its appeal could be seen by millions (and even picked up by the blogs and MSM).
The internet is still evolving and its faster than McCain/Fiengold abracadabra can block.
(just an old salt here who can't wait to see whats next)
Baldeagle,
I'm with you and I sure hope you're right, tho' the creative cretins will be busy too! There sure are a plethora of 'sources' for those who care about the country...OFF TOPIC here's one for Kathryn Harris to help the undecided:
http://www.galleryofguns.com/Shootingtimes/Articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=8355
Anyone know what Newt's NRA rating is?

Deuce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: