SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daley proposes fifth year of high school

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Daley proposes fifth year of high school Reply with quote

There is some merit to this proposal. As I have mentioned before, I am a former Canadian, moved to U.S. when I married my American husband.
I attended Canadian schools which have a 5 year high school program, with Grade 13 equivalent to 1st year college, University degree programs are 3 years. It sure helps saving a year of college expense.
Chicago Sun-Times
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you don't go to college..
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 12 Grade is already the equivalent to the 1st year in college. They should change college so that it prepares you for a career rather than have you waste another 2 years learning the same information from High School.

SBD
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rparrott21
Quote:
What if you don't go to college..

All students graduate after completing 12th grade and they receive their high school diploma.
Only those who are going on to college are required to take the 13th grade which is called Senior Matriculation.
The point of it is that you then only have to pay tuition for 3 years of college. That's a big savings.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There would be no need for a Fifth year if the "No Child Left Behind" programs were not subject to interpretations that are so dramatically different.
In New York and the rest of LiberalLand this means to drop the passing grade minimum to 50%. In other places it means to devote sufficient attention to students for them to actually learn and graduate properly.

With the Lefty interpretation, the 13th grade is needed just to have graduating young people who can cope with the outside world.
b.blauser
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with a fifth year of High School. I'd make it more occupational exploration based, as well as academic. Maybe people would be more stable in their careers this way?

www.SupportingTroops.blogspot.com
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you only have to pay for 3 yrs of college?? Someone is paying for that first year, probably the people who can't afford to go to college and get jobs and PAY Taxes. Seems like a good idea to those who get the free year, but not to those paying the freight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: