SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Article On The "N" Word At ChronWatch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: New Article On The "N" Word At ChronWatch Reply with quote

Greetings!

Normally I post my articles directly here at SwiftVets. However, to do so in this case would be to violate board policy on offensive language, and I have no wish to do so. Instead, I'd like to invite you to come over to ChronWatch. I should warn you that it uses the N word several times to illustrate some rather disturbing trends.

I'm not a fan of that word - in fact, I object strongly to its use in today's society. However, sometimes you have to bring a problem out into the open so that it can be dealt with. If you'd like to continue the disucssion here, I ask only that you don't use the vulgarity in your posts, so as not to cause offense to any who don't wish to see it.

Many thanks.

Doc Farmer

Fat, Bald and Ugly - And PROUD Of It!
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't argue with your summation, Doc. I too don't care for the word but I fail to see why it is only offensive depending on who uses it.

When in Viet Nam, standing in the door of the hooch with another white guy one evening, a buddy (the largest black man I ever knew, I barely cleared his shoulder and I'm 5'8") walked up behind us saying, "get out the door, n*****s." Not knowing how to respond to his joke, we ended up telling him where to go and calling him "honky."

For a few weeks, we switched and all the whites were "n's" and Blacks "honkys." It helped relieve stress a lot.

I'm also reminded we make too much over even the offensive words. Growing up, we were taught "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me."

Those that regularly use such a word knowing it is offensive are showing not only their lack of education and intelligence, but their lack of class as well, in my opinion.

Last edited by LewWaters on Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Can't argue with your summation, Doc. I too don't care for the word but I fail to see why it is only offensive depending on who uses it.

When in Viet Nam, standing in the door of the hooch with another white guy one evening, a buddy (the largest black man I ever knew, I barely cleared his shoulder and I'm 5'8") walked up behind us saying, "get out the door, n*****s." Not knowing how to respond to his joke, we ended up telling him where to go and calling him "honky."

For a few weeks, we switched and all the whites were "n's" and Blacks "honkys." It helped relieve stress a lot.

I'm also reminded we make too much over even the offensive words. Growing up, we were taught "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me."

Those that regularly use such a word knowing it is offensive are showing not only their lack of education and intelligence, but their lack of class as well, in my opinion.

I think your last statement hits the nail on the head. A total lack of class.

Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an "adult swim" afficianado also. While I read "The Boondocks"
in the paper when it first came out, I simply got bored with it. I gave
it a watch when it hit "Adult Swim" and like yourself, got grossed out
in a hurry. I haven't watched it since. MTV uses the term also.

A while back, "Adult Swim" aired a bunch of Bob Clampett Looney Tunes
Cartoons along with the old Popeyes. It's amazing just how prevelant
stereotypes appeared in these Cartoons. I suppose that Disney has
completely forgotten that it created "Song of the South". I guess that
we won't see 'Brer Rabbit and 'Brer Fox again anytime soon.

Oh, this Saturday night we get the first episodes of "Bleach" and
"Trinity Blood" for our viewing pleasure. Showtime is right after
NASCAR Nextel Cup races on TNT. Twisted Evil
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snipe said
Quote:
I suppose that Disney has completely forgotten that it created "Song of the South". I guess that we won't see 'Brer Rabbit and 'Brer Fox again anytime soon.

Thanks Snipe, for reminding me of "Song of the South". I remember taking my two young children to see it back in the early seventies. A totally delightful movie which I no way considered racist. The setting was on a Plantation in Georgia and the lovable Uncle Remus was a slave. But hey, that WAS a time in our history.

Anyway, in reading your post, I got to thinking how much I loved the movie so I just went online and ordered the DVD for my 2 grandchildren to enjoy. I know they will not see anything racist in it either. Just a really good movie that will keep them fascinated. I'm finding myself singing:

Zippity doo dah, zippity aye,
My oh my what a wonderful day,
Plenty of sunshine coming my way,
Zippity doo dah, zippity aye.

Delightful!!
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snipe:
Can you see Heckle 'n' Jeckle reruns? You can't find Mark Twain in the school library.

Doc:
I admire your courage in broaching the subject. I don't agree with your take on it. The Nword has been co-opted by the PC crowd to blackball any white useage of a phoneme using the 'nig' construct regardless of etymology. I'm offended that mindless race-baiters have expropriated a fine english utility for personal use. For starters the Nword is no where near the most offensive word in the dictionary (see liar, traitor, liberal, etc.). The word has its racial aspect but so do cracker, trailer trash, peckerwood or the pollack I was in the days before '64. And like trailer trash it implies character as much as race. Not so much offensive as embarassing was LBJ's pronunciation of negro.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
Snipe:
Can you see Heckle 'n' Jeckle reruns? You can't find Mark Twain in the school library.

Doc:
I admire your courage in broaching the subject. I don't agree with your take on it. The Nword has been co-opted by the PC crowd to blackball any white useage of a phoneme using the 'nig' construct regardless of etymology. I'm offended that mindless race-baiters have expropriated a fine english utility for personal use. For starters the Nword is no where near the most offensive word in the dictionary (see liar, traitor, liberal, etc.). The word has its racial aspect but so do cracker, trailer trash, peckerwood or the pollack I was in the days before '64. And like trailer trash it implies character as much as race. Not so much offensive as embarassing was LBJ's pronunciation of negro.

While I agree that lib/dem/soc/commie is a vile term (and a vile political construct), I'm quite liberal with garlic whenever I make my world-famous lasagne (not to mention THREE pounds of cheese for a single pan of the good stuff), so I'm not just ready to abandon that word quite yet.

I know some people have been chewed out for using the term niggardly (see also: Cheap SOB) because of its similarity to the "N" word, which goes to show the paranoia (and lousy edjumakashun) of the PC crowd (see also: fascists). What gets me, though, is the weird double-standard that exists, where black people can refer to others with the "N" word, while honkified people like myself (hell, the Irish tan better than me - I'm almost as white as Michael Jackson!) are prohibited from the term. I'm not advocating its return or use by caucasians, hispanics or ANYBODY else. Including blacks. It's time for the coarsening of our language, indeed our culture, to reverse.

I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc says he's

Quote:
liberal with garlic

.... there's no moderation. I'm an absolute glutton. I grow it in window pots to chew the leaf and stink like a kimchi pot.

....back to words. I'm offended by people who are offended by words. They've mistaken the idea for the reality.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The War Department (wife) uses enough garlic to keep any vampire
at least two blocks away from my house.
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent article Doc. I am tired of people using words to express what they mean in ways that degrade. It only goes to depict how truly ignorant they are.

The word 'gay' for example means, "having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music." But now it is used to describe people and organizations. Of course the connotation is quite different, but the point is the same. A word used to mean one thing has been changed to mean something it originally was not intended to mean.

Sad to say it is the liberal dictates of the past that have permeated into what we see and hear today.

Dictionary.com

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: