SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CBS Propaganda - the "Anti-SwiftVets Slant"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: CBS Propaganda - the "Anti-SwiftVets Slant" Reply with quote

This from Dotty Lynch, the Senior Political Editor (a.k.a. Senior Propagandist) for CBS News:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/08/06/opinion/lynch/main634587.shtml

"Can Voters see through Sham Ads"?

In fact, President Bush and his campaign have been Caesar’s wife on the issue of Kerry’s service. Except for one slip by Karen Hughes when she said she was "very troubled by Kerry’s allegations that Vietnam vets were guilty of atrocities, the President and the campaign have deliberately stayed away from the issue, leaving the dirty work to others.

And, a slew of other Republicans and conservatives have stepped into the breach. Rush Limbaugh, the National Review, Sean Hannity among others have had a field day on Kerry’s service medals and his anti-war years and the Swift Boat Veterans have only begun to fight.

The group has been heavily funded by Houston conservative Bob Perry, who has given over $5 million to Republicans in the past few years.

Note the title, the term "dirty work" and especially the last sentence. "Heavily funded" by a conservative who has given over "$5 million."

The title is leading the reader from the outset, and is a prima facie example of yellow journalism.

Let's see - $100K is one-fiftieth of $5 million, or 2%.

Why was the $100K figure not mentioned, and the $5 million "total" is?

The purpose is deliberate deceit .

CBS: Corrupt Broadcasting Service.

Vietnam vets, your lives were made a living hell not just by Kerry and VVAW, but by their leftist friends in your handy-dandy media. The same folks are trying it once again.

I will try to post other examples of the News media "Anti-Swiftvets Slant" as I encounter them.

FDL

Last edited by fortdixlover on Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeeBS, I believe, is the nom-du-jour.
fortdixlover

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Media abuse of the word "some"

Peter Busch Reports
Political ad says Kerry fabricated war record

http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=2140326&nav=HMO6PbAY

A new ad attacking John Kerry's war record is angering some local Vietnam veterans. Some veterans at the VFW 10008 in Tucson, thought the ad was a disservice to all Vietnam veterans

Note how, in this example, numbers are NOT given. Just the word "some."

Other examples of this propaganda are headlines that say "Some in Iraq hate the U.S. soldiers", etc. etc.

When you see "SOME" in a news report, think "ONE" or, more likely, "ZERO" and "FABRICATION."

FDL
Scott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdixlover wrote:
When you see "SOME" in a news report, think "ONE" or, more likely, "ZERO" and "FABRICATION."

Alternative meaning: "ALL THE PEOPLE WE WANT TO INTERVIEW BUT CAN'T FIND."
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
fortdixlover wrote:

Wow, and I thought I was cynical about the media! LOL! You guys are great!
fortdixlover

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
Scott wrote:
fortdixlover wrote:

Wow, and I thought I was cynical about the media! LOL! You guys are great!

I spent many hours as a youth listening to Radio Moscow on my trusty Hallicrafters shortwave radio. It was very instructive.

American media now sounds like Radio Moscow circa 1970.

I am too young to have listened to Tokyo Rose or Josef Goebbels, unfortunately.

FDL
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the articles ran and bashing of Swiftvets is all so unnecessary. Kerry can clear it up in a matter of minutes.

MR. KERRY, RELEASE YOUR RECORDS.
George F. Thompson
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: See BS propaganda Reply with quote

Did you also pick up on the closing statement.
" Viet Nam veteran and Senator John McCain asked the White house to pull the add, So far, they have declined." Am I missing something or what? I didn't know that President Bush or the Republican party had anything to do with the Swift Vets. The press however alludes to this because so far, " They" have declined to pull it. Wouldn't that be like censorship?

George F. Thompson
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeating this for our newcomers, because this must be crystal clear to all visitors:

The White House has no more power over this ad being run than John Kerry had over Michael Moore's movie being released.

The President's campaign does not support or control Swifts.

The RNC does not support or control Swifts.

Swifts is a 527 created for ONE purpose and mission.

Their ad supports their mission. This site supports their mission. The book will support their mission.

It doesn't have anything to do with who the other candidate is.

If John Kerry were not attempting to achieve the highest office in the land, commander in chief of our Armed Forces, this site would not exist.

The Swifts' group would not have been started.

grateful_american_woman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See BS has been acting outside of the bounds of journalistic standards for years, it's just becoming more blatant recently.

I'd boycott them, but, well, I rarely watch them anyhow. But it won't stop me from contacting them (and advertisers) in regard to their biased treatment of this 527 versus the moveon moore-ons. And I intend to get the word out to many other organizations.

The station in WI who refused to show the swiftvet ad (WTVG 920-432-3331, wbay@wbay.com) and "See BS" are my new pet projects.
tngator
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The local vets we spoke with

Alternate meaning: we had to ask each vet are you for or against Kerry before proceeding with our questions Rolling Eyes I have had too many phone polls cut short due to my answers not to know that is the truth.
Scott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not ridiculous:

During the Democratic primaries, I received a phone call from a polling organization that asked:

Who would you vote for as President?

They then listed all of the Democratic candidates.

I replied:

None of the above.

*Click*
RNO
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have for the past year or so only watched Fox. Becasue of their recent almost outright lies and false hoods towards this group. I have turned them off. My wife had them on this morning and I could not beleive some of the comments..It is now turned off except for Hannity whom is the only person there that seems interesting in getting the facts...It should not suprise me after being in Nam and reading the press and seeing how we were protrayed. I am the most upset at Fox becasue I felt that maybe they would at least try and be more balanced...I call the media the 4th estate...In one artilce I read on the web this morning Kerry started the VVA...I wonder with Fox beings the CEO of the group has come out supporting Kerry has had an effect...Even those so called conservative reporters refuse to even check out the facts and blow this whole thing off...as just a bunch of malcontents who got not get over Nam...Keep up the work because American do not have to rely on the News as reported as the Net sure offers an alternative...The more we push this the harder it is going to be to put it totally off the front page...I salute this group and thank God we have fine Americans who are not afraid to speak up...
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught Fox earlier this morning. Who were they interviewing about the war on terror? Stansfield Turner, of all people. Of course, he towed the party line, word for word.

Fox is pretty good about airing both sides, but lately, the left seems to be getting more air time over the right.

O'Reilly lost some viewers with his attacks against SBVT ad.
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dotty Lynch claims that the Bush administration is "leaving the dirty work to others". Actually as Senior Political Editor it is she who is leaving the dirty work to others; and is not fullfilling her duty towards "the public's right to know". If she and others of her ilk were doing their jobs instead providing political cover for Kerry, there probably be no need for SBVFT! The dead rat of liberal bias has lying in the sun so long that is becoming impossible to ignore. Hence the popularity of Fox News and internet sites like Drudge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: